Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Preschool Education Requirements....
Soccermom 08:25 AM 05-30-2012
Hello everyone

I haven't dropped in for awhile because my computer was on the fritz but I am back up and running! Yay!
I had a question for everyone concerning opening a preschool program in Canada. Does anyone know what is required as far as education for the provider? Can anyone create a preschool program in their home or do you need to have qualifications?
I currently have an in home daycare (No ECE required) where I care for mostly afterschool children and one 4 year old in the mornings. I am looking to open a preschool program for 2 mornings a week in order to allow my 3 year old the chance to meet some new friends and experience preschool from the comfort of our home. I think it would be great for the SAHMs or grandparent babysitters in the area to be able to get a little break a couple of mornings a week while their little ones play and learn with their friends.
We are a very small town so I am not sure how succesful this might end up being but I would like to give it a try. Any insight? Thanks
Michael 11:10 AM 05-30-2012
Welcome back. Just so happens I am in Toronto. This is what I found for Ontario: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/parents/orientation-package-en.pdf
Soccermom 12:31 PM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
Welcome back. Just so happens I am in Toronto. This is what I found for Ontario: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/parents/orientation-package-en.pdf
Thanks Michael!
Countrygal 01:25 PM 05-30-2012
I'm sure it is different in every area. I run a preschool along with my daycare, and in WI you do not have to be a certified preschool, although that is an option.

There are no requirements other than the daycare requirements, which are extensive.

I have contacted the schools and the only thing they look at now are the core knowledge skills for school preparedness. These include things like social skills, movement, language usage, work habits, etc. Here is a sample list:

Concentration
Independence
obedience
social development
gross and fine motor control
self-motivation
grace and courtesy
auditory comprehension
self-confidence
sense of order
sense of responsibility
coordination
cooperation with adults and peers
organization
following rules
initiative
helping others
has sense of justice
love of learning and working
can work alone
self-discipline
joy
creativity
listens without interrupting
follows classroom rules
follows directions
cleans up their own work
can sit quietly in a group setting for at least ten minutes
can line up with their class

If you are interested in a more comprehensive description, one of the schools sent me a lot of information for our state and I'd be glad to forward it.
Soccermom 04:09 PM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I'm sure it is different in every area. I run a preschool along with my daycare, and in WI you do not have to be a certified preschool, although that is an option.

There are no requirements other than the daycare requirements, which are extensive.

I have contacted the schools and the only thing they look at now are the core knowledge skills for school preparedness. These include things like social skills, movement, language usage, work habits, etc. Here is a sample list:

Concentration
Independence
obedience
social development
gross and fine motor control
self-motivation
grace and courtesy
auditory comprehension
self-confidence
sense of order
sense of responsibility
coordination
cooperation with adults and peers
organization
following rules
initiative
helping others
has sense of justice
love of learning and working
can work alone
self-discipline
joy
creativity
listens without interrupting
follows classroom rules
follows directions
cleans up their own work
can sit quietly in a group setting for at least ten minutes
can line up with their class

If you are interested in a more comprehensive description, one of the schools sent me a lot of information for our state and I'd be glad to forward it.
That would be great Country Gal, I would love to have a look at it!
Tags:canada, preschool list, preschool requirements, sample
Reply Up