Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Filing Previous Years Taxes
craftymissbeth 02:20 PM 01-11-2014
As I'm preparing my taxes for 2013 I came across 2012's tax information. My husband took care of all of our taxes last year for 2012 and went to H&R Block like we normally do. I am now noticing that he never filed MY income from 2012! I worked outside of the home at that time. I guess I should have questioned him when I didn't have to go in and sign any documents like I usually do.

I called him and asked him and he said "oh they said your income would bump us into the next tax bracket so we're just going to file it in 2 more years."

what the what?!

So what's done is done... all I can do is fix this.

I'm filing last years taxes on TurboTax. I didn't have a lot of deductions and I feel confident enough that I'm not going to try to find a CPA. Maybe next year, I don't know.

Anyway, so do I do 2013's taxes on TurboTax and then file my 2012 taxes separately on paper? I read online that you can no longer file 2012 taxes online. How will this affect our taxes from 2012 because we're married filing jointly and he didn't provide my income?

I'm really worried about this
TomCopeland 07:11 AM 01-12-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
As I'm preparing my taxes for 2013 I came across 2012's tax information. My husband took care of all of our taxes last year for 2012 and went to H&R Block like we normally do. I am now noticing that he never filed MY income from 2012! I worked outside of the home at that time. I guess I should have questioned him when I didn't have to go in and sign any documents like I usually do.

I called him and asked him and he said "oh they said your income would bump us into the next tax bracket so we're just going to file it in 2 more years."

what the what?!

So what's done is done... all I can do is fix this.

I'm filing last years taxes on TurboTax. I didn't have a lot of deductions and I feel confident enough that I'm not going to try to find a CPA. Maybe next year, I don't know.

Anyway, so do I do 2013's taxes on TurboTax and then file my 2012 taxes separately on paper? I read online that you can no longer file 2012 taxes online. How will this affect our taxes from 2012 because we're married filing jointly and he didn't provide my income?

I'm really worried about this
You should amend your 2012 taxes, report your income and pay the tax and penalties. Your husband will need to sign the tax return, since you filed jointly. (Make him pay the penalties!) Go ahead and file your 2013 taxes as usual.
Tags:taxes - late;, taxes - not done yet
Reply Up