Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Ages For "Preschool" Learning
kcnjason 01:26 PM 03-09-2012
I run a home childcare and care for ages up to3 at this time. They seem to be starting to be a bit more ready to learn letters, etc...at what age do you start working daily with letters, numbers, etc?
Heidi 06:49 PM 03-09-2012
You dont!

-You go for a walk and see a stop sign, and say "oooooh I see a STOP sign! It has S T O P (pointing at each letter) look....and S is like a Ssssssnake!

-You sit down in the sandbox and say "I am going to draw S's....

-You say "oh, how about if I put your name on your picture? Your name is Kayla. K A Y L A...

-You read to them....alot

-You sing the ABC song while with them while they are playing with the refrigator magnets or some other form of letters.

It's all about the 'teachable moments" with the under 3 crowd!
kcnjason 08:01 PM 03-09-2012
Exactly what I do with my kiddos currently but what I'm asking is after they turn 3 when is a good time to begin "preschool"?
cheerfuldom 08:09 PM 03-09-2012
If you are doing a basic curriculum, most kids can participate at age 3. Sometimes as young as 2.5 but any younger than that, they won't have the focus, etc. to make much progress (general statement, there is always exceptions). You might look into websites that provide easy and free beginning educational activities for kids and see how much interest you find with your kiddos. You can also check on pinterest, if you are on there. I am following one mom that has everything split up for me.....theme lessons, letters, numbers, colors, etc. There are some great blogs and such that have all it worked out for you and you can try it with the kids in small doses. Definitely start small since it sounds like you have younger kids or babies mixed into the group (right?) so its not like you have a preschool environment. It is hard to keep those littles occupied while you so lessons!
SilverSabre25 06:16 AM 03-11-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
You dont!

-You go for a walk and see a stop sign, and say "oooooh I see a STOP sign! It has S T O P (pointing at each letter) look....and S is like a Ssssssnake!

-You sit down in the sandbox and say "I am going to draw S's....

-You say "oh, how about if I put your name on your picture? Your name is Kayla. K A Y L A...

-You read to them....alot

-You sing the ABC song while with them while they are playing with the refrigator magnets or some other form of letters.

It's all about the 'teachable moments" with the under 3 crowd!

I taught my DD her letters and letter sounds using primarily a game of Go Fish and a little bit of Starfall.com. It wasn't, "here let's teach you your letters," but rather, "here let's play a game before bed!" and "Here play on the computer so I can get dinner ready!" I never set out to teach the letters, but she sure did learn them!
WImom 12:44 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
If you are doing a basic curriculum, most kids can participate at age 3. Sometimes as young as 2.5 but any younger than that, they won't have the focus, etc. to make much progress (general statement, there is always exceptions). You might look into websites that provide easy and free beginning educational activities for kids and see how much interest you find with your kiddos. You can also check on pinterest, if you are on there. I am following one mom that has everything split up for me.....theme lessons, letters, numbers, colors, etc. There are some great blogs and such that have all it worked out for you and you can try it with the kids in small doses. Definitely start small since it sounds like you have younger kids or babies mixed into the group (right?) so its not like you have a preschool environment. It is hard to keep those littles occupied while you so lessons!
Could you share who you are following on Pinterest? I'm on there and that sounds like a great person to follow.
Tags:age appropriate, preschool
Reply Up