Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many of You Take Vitamins and What Kind
Country Kids 02:59 PM 03-21-2012
Being so sick this last year has made me start wondering if I should take some type of vitamins. The only thing is I have a phobia of swallowing pills. I can but I absolutely hate doing it and sometimes will just started gagging at the though of it. Lovely too because the dr. has me on a 4x a day antibiotic and yep their pills.

Anyway I saw the new gummy adult style but didn't know if they were any good or just a fad thing. The last time I took a vitamin I got a instant headache, nauseaus, and the dr. said it was probably to strong for my system.

I'm really not sure what to take. There are sooooooo many out there. Does anyone have any recommendations?
daycare 03:06 PM 03-21-2012
have you ever heard of shaklee? I think it is the best I have ever found. They work...No crappy filer and junk that you get from stores like GNC or walmart.

I take daily

Drink cod fish liver oil
Flax seed oil, I mix it with the above in a shot glass lol

I take a daily multi vitamin with Iron

Vitman b-12

zinc
immunity boosters

echinacea (sp) and golden seal, cranberry extract

I also drink a thing called energizing soy protein every morning..

Honestly other than my current state and about two months ago, I have not been sick in YEARS
Country Kids 03:10 PM 03-21-2012
Just seeing all that just makes me gag!!!!! I just cringe at the thought of taking all that. I will sometimes just try to sleep off a headache because my stomach just starts churning at the thought of taking something.
daycare 03:13 PM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Just seeing all that just makes me gag!!!!! I just cringe at the thought of taking all that. I will sometimes just try to sleep off a headache because my stomach just starts churning at the thought of taking something.
yoy know my daughter is the same way. She can't swallow it..

So I bought a pill crusher. I take all of hers and throw it in a blender with the energizing soy protein, splash of milk, frozen fruit and ice..

wwwaaaaalllllllaaaahhh A high vitamin fruit smoothie

SHe has not been sick in almost 5 years my oldest same...other than a few scares with sports here and there.....
wahmof3 03:21 PM 03-21-2012
I swear by Airborne

But I do take a daily multi vit GNC. If the kiddos are mildly ill, have cold etc I will take airborne instead.

BTW- airborne you can drink it. Its not really tasty so I use a straw.
Country Kids 03:24 PM 03-21-2012
Does airborne go bad? We have some, my hubby took some and said it was pretty nasty. I know it would have caused me to throw up if he thought it was nasty.
sharlan 03:26 PM 03-21-2012
My dds cannot take vitamins (vomit). I tried everything over the years, nothing worked. I found a liquid at Sam's Club that my eldest could take without problems, but they changed the formula and added Splenda.

She can take the gummy vitamins (One A Day VitaCraves). Her endo said it was better than nothing.

My youngest can't even take those.

I take:

a multivitamin (GNC women's formula)
Vit D - 10,000 IU
lutein - 20 mg
MegaRed (omega-3 krill oil) - 300mg
B-Complex (just started today)
Breezy 03:27 PM 03-21-2012
I can't swallow pills either!!!!!!! I take magnesium and B-12. I put something in my mouth that I like, like a muffin or a cookie, etc. Then, I chew and when I am about to swallow, I pop a pill in and swallow it all together and don't even notice the pill.
sharlan 04:15 PM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I can't swallow pills either!!!!!!! I take magnesium and B-12. I put something in my mouth that I like, like a muffin or a cookie, etc. Then, I chew and when I am about to swallow, I pop a pill in and swallow it all together and don't even notice the pill.
A spoon of applesauce works well, too.
littlemissmuffet 04:54 PM 03-21-2012
I take 5,000IUD of vitamin D and 500mg of vitamin C every day - both in chewable tablets (citrus falvored).
saved4always 06:19 PM 03-21-2012
I take several different vitamins. I hate swallowing big pills but I force myself: cranberry pills with vitamin c (gel pills...not very big so I have no problem swallowing them), Centrum multivitamin (this one is huge and I have to eat right after or I get sick to my stomach...I do gag sometimes if it goes down wrong), Calcium + D supplement (I take the yummy chocolate flavored chew ones ), and Biotin (cuz in my imagination it makes my hair and nails grow better ).

I am also a true believer in taking Cold Ease zinc lozengers as soon as I feel a sniffle come along. It really seems to shorten the duration of any colds I start getting. I have only had one full fledged cold this season so far and it lasted way less than a week.
wahmof3 06:33 PM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Does airborne go bad? We have some, my hubby took some and said it was pretty nasty. I know it would have caused me to throw up if he thought it was nasty.
There is an expiration date on it. And it doesn't taste very good, thats why I use a straw so I can avoid it touching my taste buds lol!

I believe they also come in a chewable, but I haven't tried that yet.
wahmof3 06:35 PM 03-21-2012
BTW my DH takes the adult gummy vitamins & likes them. He has trouble swallowing pills.
Oneluckymom 08:58 PM 03-21-2012
Ok, I'm so glad I'm not the only adult afraid to swallow a horse pill!! First, trader joes has a great multivitamin that is chewable. Or centrum makes a chewable multivitamin (although you may to look in more than one store, I've had trouble finding them, unless your a senior...).
saved4always 05:24 AM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
BTW my DH takes the adult gummy vitamins & likes them. He has trouble swallowing pills.
I have taken adult gummies, too. There is one that is called something like vita-craves sour fruit flavored that I love by one of the big vitamin companies...can't remember which one. They have them at target and are very yum.
Soupyszoo 05:30 AM 03-22-2012
At Max Muscle they have a liquid vitamin that you can drink once a day. It doesn't taste horrible and it will do wonders for your immune system and such it's called vita-cell. They have different favors.
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 03-22-2012
I am curious as to how many of you take vitamins and how often you are or aren't sick.

I have never taken vitamins. I am NEVER sick. I have eaten really healthy now for the last 5 years. Before that my diet consisted of Dorito's and Diet Coke

We started eating really well after DH got diabetes. His nutritionist told him that if you eat a good balanced diet, there is little need for vitamins.

Our diet must be pretty balanced as neither of us are ever sick.

So just wondering about the correlation between vitamins and illness/sickness....
melissa ann 09:45 AM 03-22-2012
I take a multi with iron (i'm anemic and have always been)
garlic
turmeric
vit c
calcium

I rarely get sick. When I was child, I was sick all the time, when I was 5 I had pneumonia, strep throat and broncoitis at the same time.
lil angels 10:05 AM 03-22-2012
I take a muli vitamin
Calcium,magnesium, zinc all in one I get headaches and it really helps to prevent them.
Vitamin c if I feel a cold coming on

My kids both take gummy vitamins before bed

We are rarely I'll.
littlemommy 11:01 AM 03-22-2012
Daily: Vit D if not out in the sun, eat fresh garlic and onions (mmm!!!) and lots of (homegrown) fruits and veggies. I drink a lot of tea (green, black) I have prenatals and fish oil that I need to get better at taking.

If I feel sluggish or like I may be getting sick, I drink Echinacea tea, green tea, get extra sleep.

I haven't had a cold for 2 years, and have only had the stomach flu once in 3 years. I have had a few cold sores, but if I take l-lysine supplements it prevents/stops them. Wish I would have discovered that earlier!!
WImom 11:05 AM 03-22-2012
I also don't do well swallowing pills unless they are really small. I take the Vitafusion Gummy Adult Mulit vitamin and the Vitamin D ones in the winter. They taste really good to me. I also take a probotic a few times a week since I can't eat yogurt (lactose intolerant).
This year I've just had a few colds but alot of times I get colds when my allergies are acting up since I think my body can't fight both off. (Like right now)

My kids take a gummy multivitamin too and so far they haven't been sick at all this school year (they are in grade school). We switched to mostly organic foods and grass fed beef/chicken so not sure if that's it or we are just lucky this year.
SunshineMama 11:49 AM 03-22-2012
I take a B complex, Multi, Omega 3, and probiotics regularly.

I give both of my dd's a multi, probiotic powder in their am yogurt, and omega 3. (Since the omega 3 for kids is so expensive, and the gummies dont really have much in them, I pop open one of my capsules and put it in their almond milk.
momofboys 05:52 AM 03-23-2012
I take a daily multi-vitamin, 500 mg of Vitamin C, Zinc & garlic. Sometimes I also take an acidophilus tablet (I used to get yeast infections so I am trying to prevent those!). I don't get sick often BUT I do tend to get about 2 sinus infections a year. I always get a flu shot!

Daycare,

My parents (back in the day) were very devoted to Shaklee products, they also used to sell them. I believe they are great products but I just can't afford to pay the prices. My mom was always mixing up one of those protein shakes for breakfast! I do LOVE their chewable vita c!
smb757 07:35 AM 03-23-2012
I take a daily prenatal vitamin, I am currently pregnant, but I will continue until DH gets the snip. Haha! I have heard of some pregnant women who can't take their vitamins due time nausea or gag reflex, so their doctors recommend a Flintstones vitamin.
SunshineMama 01:08 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by smb757:
I take a daily prenatal vitamin, I am currently pregnant, but I will continue until DH gets the snip. Haha! I have heard of some pregnant women who can't take their vitamins due time nausea or gag reflex, so their doctors recommend a Flintstones vitamin.
Just my 2 cents But you should also consider a DHA vitamin as well. It is great for eye and brain development!
Michael 02:36 PM 03-23-2012
I've been taking vitamins/suppliments since I was a child. I tend to stay away from the mass produced pruducts. Here are some of my health suggestions.

For the face and skin: Twinlab - Na-Pca Spray
(It helps with skin elasticity and hydrating)

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-20506-twinlab-na-pca-non-oily-8-oz

Total Supplimental Regiment: Dr Schulze SuperFood Powder

I have all my friends and family on this. Its amazing how it has improved their health.

https://www.herbdoc.com/index.php?op...21&osCsid=&c=1

For the blood and skin: DeSouza, Liquid Chlorophyll
(I drink a teaspoon of this in water everyday. It acts and an internal cleanser)

http://www.iherb.com/DeSouza-Liquid-...-ml/10225?at=0

For Omega-3: Pure Cold Pressed Antarctic Krill Oil by Everest Nutrition
(Krill oil is 54x more powerful in antioxidant activity than fish oil)

http://www.krilloil.com

Also, eat as green and nearst to the earth as you can. Know where your food comes from an how it is handled and processed.

As a disclaimer: These are my opinions and suggestions. As always consult your doctor before taking any of these products for your health.
MamaBear 07:53 PM 03-23-2012
I take:

Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Vitamin B-6
Vitamin B-12
Biotin
Multivitamin

I haven't been sick in a looooong time... like over a year. (knock on wood!) lol
smb757 10:40 PM 03-25-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Just my 2 cents But you should also consider a DHA vitamin as well. It is great for eye and brain development!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I just can't stomach fish oil...particularity while I'm pregnant. But, I do focus on getting a serving of seafood each week and I make a morning smoothie with Flax or Chia seeds.
Bella99 12:38 AM 03-26-2012
I take pills like a champ! () but really, ever since I was little and having to take migraine meds, i've mastered the art of swallowing pills sans water.

Vitamins, I take B12 (ontop of the b12 shot, extremely anemic lol) a multi vitamin, and vitamin C.

I been looking for an online vitamin quiz, because i'd like to start taking more (I feel under the weather 24/7) but don't know what vitamins I need, so it's hard to start off. My doctor is semi-retired and isn't 'into' that kind of things.
SunshineMama 04:53 AM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am curious as to how many of you take vitamins and how often you are or aren't sick.

I have never taken vitamins. I am NEVER sick. I have eaten really healthy now for the last 5 years. Before that my diet consisted of Dorito's and Diet Coke

We started eating really well after DH got diabetes. His nutritionist told him that if you eat a good balanced diet, there is little need for vitamins.

Our diet must be pretty balanced as neither of us are ever sick.

So just wondering about the correlation between vitamins and illness/sickness....
I rarely get sick, and have not been seriously sick in years.

I load up on vitamin C when I start to feel sick. (5000 mg 2 times a day). Yes, I realize that is more than the recommended dosage, but I have researched that Vitamin C is generally non-toxic and there have been studies that show that it can cure cancer when taken in large amounts (100,000mg, intraveneously).

I got a second bout of mastitis when nursing dd and (first time I took antibiotics) ate a bunch of raw garlic cloves (natural antibiotic) and loaded up on vitamin C, and it was gone within 24 hours.

I can tell the days when I didnt take a B complex the evening before- I have less energy.

I look to nature for cures whenever I get sick, or as a preventative. Western medicine is good and has its place, but I avoid it if I can find a natural remedy first.

Vitamins are just one part of not getting sick though- a balanced diet, exercise, and stress management play a huge part too.
Tags:health, vitamin suppliments
Reply Up