Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>He neeeeeds to sleeep!! But how??
Unregistered 10:06 AM 04-04-2012
I have an 18 month old dcb who started with me full-time 6 months ago when he was a year old. He arrives in the morning at 6 am so he is up by 5 30 am. He is in a great mood when he gets here but goes downhill fast! His constant whining really starts getting to me now within an hour of him arriving as this has been an ongoing thing and he continues to whine ALL day long. He is clearly tired, rubbing his eyes and just plain cranky and miserable.

I know he is tired and needs to sleep but I have tried everything to get him to sleep in the morning but he just fights it so bad. He will do everything except sleep. Run around the pack n play, jump up and down in it, roll around, do somersaults, he will do anything but lie still. He can be in there for 2 hours and will just not sleep! This morning I put him in to nap at 7 30 am. I had let him play from 6 15 until 7 then I fed him a nice big bowl of hot oatmeal for breakfast and then down for a nap. By 10 am he was still not sleeping! He is so tired.

He is actually so tired right its crazy! All he is doing is whining and crying, its driving me insane! I really want to fix this he is a sweetheart and I love his parents they are great!

When he is up he is always completely wired. He can not play quietly with anything. He runs from toy, to toy, to toy, picks up a toy drops it on the floor picks up another does the same, throws toys for the fun of it, climbs on things, bangs things together just a very busy boy. I am wondering if he just can't sleep because he is so hyper and is not able to settle his little body down.

By the time lunchtime comes around and I sit him in his chair for lunch he is so tired he is falling asleep eating his lunch. As soon as it is time for nap he is up and running around again and banging the bottom of his pack n play. I lie him down, he gets right back up does it again. For the whole duration of naptime. He wakes my others up!

If I sit beside him and do not let him move he will fall asleep but I can't stay with just him, I have 6 other children to care for so just not sure what to do?

Mom says that he goes to bed a night and goes to sleep right away! Not sure if I believe her. I don't see how he can stay still and go to sleep right away when he can't stop moving EVER!

Before mom started back to work after her maternity leave and on weekends mom says he sleeps until 8 30 am so he is getting up 3 hours earlier for her to go to work during the week.

What can I do to get his little body to stop moving and just go to sleep. I was thinking of trying to find someone to help out for a couple of hours a day during naptime but it would be an added expense. Should I just raise his rates to allow for this or term?

Oh what to do?
countrymom 10:53 AM 04-04-2012
thats what the problem is, he is up too long for him to fall asleep. You need to put him back to bed when he arrives, this will work.
Unregistered 11:15 AM 04-04-2012
This morning I put him in to nap at 7 30 am after breakfast. At 10 he was still awake jumping and running around the pnp making a terrible racket.

I have put him down immediately upon him coming in, same thing only he screamed/cried.

I can go in a million times and lie him back down but the second I do he is right back up running around the pnp.

He will NOT sleep in the morning or in the afternoon.

He is so tired and so am I listening to the whining because he needs to sleep.

He just won't stay still long enough.

I have gotten him to sleep by sitting beside him but I actually have to lean down into the pnp and hold his hands so he won't move. If I have to leave to tend to another child he is right back up and I have to start over so I gave up on that.

I spend the entire 2 hours trying to get this kid to sleep.

Another thing, if and when he does fall asleep he will sleep maybe 45 minutes and wake up crying and will wake everyone up.

He just seems very fidgety to me all the time. Even diaper changes are a nightmare with this child because he can not stay still.
MrsB 11:15 AM 04-04-2012
My rule here is if you arrive before 7 you go back down. I tell parents its okay if you arrive before 7 to be in your pjs. My early arrivers it is still dark, or just getting light out so I only turn on one lamp. leave blinds closed,and a few nightlights . The mats/packnplays are already set up. Mom/Dad does the pass off and they get laid right down, most of the time they are still half asleep.

Try the sleep sacks with the zipper in the back, they feel super cozy them. At 730 when everyone else arrives we get up get dressed and are ready for breakfast at 8.
cheerfuldom 11:19 AM 04-04-2012
Nap immediately after drop off. With as early as he is coming, I would make it 2 hours.
Mary Poppins 01:12 PM 04-04-2012
I totally agree with the go down upon arrival. My 8mo girlie comes at 6:30am and she goes right down and finishes her sleep. I don't consider it a nap at all, she is finishing her sleep for the night. She wakes up at about 8 and is good to go until the official naptime at around 9:30.

I hate that a lot of these dck's have to get up so early. I had one that arrived at 5:30 some days and that was just too early for both of us!
Reply Up