Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Explosive BMs...
Dsquared 07:52 AM 08-01-2012
My wife has this boy (a HUGE 10 months old) who just has explosive BMs. You turn around and it's exploded out of his diaper onto his legs, his hands and sometimes, bits onto his face. Have you guys experienced this and if so what did you do? My wife had this once with another child and we found out the parents were stuffing him full of fiber/laxatives at home and of course not telling her. He left shortly after we found this out so it wasn't a huge deal.

She's getting REALLY tired of cleaning up disgusting messes from this kid every day. When she tells the mother, she just laughs about it. Are there any suggestions you gals have?
My Lil' Monkeys 08:02 AM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by Dsquared:
My wife has this boy (a HUGE 10 months old) who just has explosive BMs. You turn around and it's exploded out of his diaper onto his legs, his hands and sometimes, bits onto his face. Have you guys experienced this and if so what did you do? My wife had this once with another child and we found out the parents were stuffing him full of fiber/laxatives at home and of course not telling her. He left shortly after we found this out so it wasn't a huge deal.

She's getting REALLY tired of cleaning up disgusting messes from this kid every day. When she tells the mother, she just laughs about it. Are there any suggestions you gals have?
Bigger diapers? Maybe he needs a bigger size.
Dsquared 08:26 AM 08-01-2012
Maybe, I'll tell her to check that out. Thanks.

One of the other DC parents saw a picture on FB and told my wife that it looks like his mom is feeding him crazy amounts of food (big bowls of spaghetti and rice) in one sitting for a 10 month old.
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 08-01-2012
I think the mom needs to bring him into the doctor and have him checked out. I think that once a child begins eating cereal and foods, their BM's should be much more formed and not so explosive.

I would REQUIRE that he be checked so tha tyou know for sure that he has no infections, allergies or other issues going on.

I would also have a discussion with mom about what child's diet is at home, how often he is fed and when.

He may need to have more fiber or less sugar for example.

As for dealing with the messes, I would consider this diarrhea and have him picked up after the first time and not allow him to return until the BM's are under control. Giving the iisue back to the parents helps solve it awfully quick when it is their problem and NOT yours.....kwim?
cheerfuldom 10:11 AM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think the mom needs to bring him into the doctor and have him checked out. I think that once a child begins eating cereal and foods, their BM's should be much more formed and not so explosive.

I would REQUIRE that he be checked so tha tyou know for sure that he has no infections, allergies or other issues going on.

I would also have a discussion with mom about what child's diet is at home, how often he is fed and when.

He may need to have more fiber or less sugar for example.

As for dealing with the messes, I would consider this diarrhea and have him picked up after the first time and not allow him to return until the BM's are under control. Giving the iisue back to the parents helps solve it awfully quick when it is their problem and NOT yours.....kwim?
absolutely this. It is disgusting and unsanitary to keep a child in care that is having this many issues with diarrhea. Its not normal. I would also be concerned that mom is not taking this seriously. I would send him home, insist on a doctors visit and a reasonable plan with how to improve the situation in the future. If mom is not willing to that for her own child, I am not willing to work with her any longer.
countrymom 10:31 AM 08-01-2012
yup call mom and tell her its diarrhea and he needs to be picked up. If its splashing on his face, well its time to go home. don't you love facebook, people post everything.
Dsquared 05:42 PM 08-01-2012
My wife tried to tell her nicely that the food she's giving him isn't normal for a 10 month old and that explosive diarrhea isn't normal and she needs to call the Dr. She copped a huge attitude. My wife also told her he probably needs more fruits an vegetables and that none of the older kids in her care eat foods that her 10 month old does. Her reply was "Oh that won't cut it, he wants a hamburger."
Dsquared 05:46 PM 08-01-2012
Oh, and she said she would call the Dr, but I could tell from her tone that she had no intention of doing that.
Breezy 05:53 PM 08-01-2012
I'm sorry but a 10 month old probably doesn't have food preferences yet. That is ridiculous! Poor baby

I agree with the others mom must pick up from now on. Make it her problem
cheerfuldom 07:07 PM 08-01-2012
Stop discussing this with the mom and give her a clear, simple statement of what the next action will be.

"Pam, I cannot continue to care for little Ryan until this issue with eating and diapers is resolved. He cannot return until his diapers have become normal. I do not provide care for a child with constant diarrhea and he will be sent home after every bad diaper. This issue must be resolved immediately if he is to continue in my care"

Honestly, you probably just need to make sure they are paid up and then just be prepared to term them.
littlemissmuffet 08:12 PM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by Dsquared:
Oh, and she said she would call the Dr, but I could tell from her tone that she had no intention of doing that.
That wouldn't fly here. When I request a Dr's note, there needs to be a firm diagnoses and treatment plan (not just "he can return to daycare")... also, child can't return until I receieve such a note.
I would also send home each and every time child had an explosive BM as per my policy handbook. Mom wouldn't be laughing too much longer if she had to deal with me
Reply Up