Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Iowa Is Going To Start Posting The "Results" Of Our Compliancy Checks Online
nanglgrl 08:54 PM 10-15-2012
and eventually they will start to post information and results of any complaints they receive regarding daycares. This information is already public information but I'm sure very few people ever took time off to go to the local office and look at potential providers files before placing their children.
I don't know if they are going to only post "founded" reports or every report an angry parent makes to try to get out of payment. I hope it's not every complaint, it would make me afraid to term a client or to speak up against one that wasn't respecting my policies. I hope the reports aren't vague so parents won't think that because we aren't compliant on one little thing we are bad providers.
I know some states already do this. What do you think of it? I think we are going to have a lot more unregistered providers than we already do. It seems I know a provider that goes from registered to unregistered every month (it's legal in Iowa).
BABYLUVER 09:09 PM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
and eventually they will start to post information and results of any complaints they receive regarding daycares. This information is already public information but I'm sure very few people ever took time off to go to the local office and look at potential providers files before placing their children.
I don't know if they are going to only post "founded" reports or every report an angry parent makes to try to get out of payment. I hope it's not every complaint, it would make me afraid to term a client or to speak up against one that wasn't respecting my policies. I hope the reports aren't vague so parents won't think that because we aren't compliant on one little thing we are bad providers.
I know some states already do this. What do you think of it? I think we are going to have a lot more unregistered providers than we already do. It seems I know a provider that goes from registered to unregistered every month (it's legal in Iowa).
Where I'm from, they posted every complaint, even unfounded. It would state a reason, example:

COMPLAINT

or

Child Abuse...

If it was complaint, it would say "business" or "other" if it were child abuse it would say a level. So you had levels I, II, II, IV. Level I was the WORST case meaning they found actual abuse/neglect where IV was something small like a licensing violation (i.e. forgetting an outlet cover--this fell under "neglect").

Child abuse complaints carry more weight. If someone sees business, though, and then unfounded, then there is a very quick turnaround.

I have been turned in multiple times, and ALWAYS whenever I tried to collect from a non-paying client. After I started taking payments IN ADVANCE only and stopped taking any form of checks, the complaints stopped. The complaints ranged from my house was horrible to I beat the kids. EVERY SINGLE COMPLAINT was unfounded. CPS can almost always tell when it's a retaliatory complaint but they have to investigate anyway. Twice, after I was called on, I was able to collect my $$ at a police station when I threatened the parents with suing them for false reporting. Another moved before I could have her served. The last and final, they hopped daycares and eventually were found out to be child abusers themselves. They were also animal abusers and got CPS and humane society involved for the disgusting behaviors they exhibited.

Believe me, I don't think many parents even asked me if I was actually licensed let alone look my file up and I never lost a client for previous complaints.

ONE thing I cannot stand about whoever opened my file?

I have met her once, in 2008. Somehow, 2009, 10, 11, 12 all show that she has done my licensing visit and while it says I passed, I NEVER met with her! I know that some complaints in there are also not belonging to me. Like how could I have a daycare complaint from BEFORE I was opened? Things like that.
DaisyMamma 04:30 AM 10-16-2012
They do that here, unfounded complains even show up.
countrymom 06:14 AM 10-16-2012
I think this is so wrong. I wonder if they would like it if there work started posted information like this.
satcook 06:48 AM 10-16-2012
Kansas has just started doing this. I dont think any parents have looked up the info yet. I have looked up info on other daycares. It is interesting to look at, but I don't think the average parent is going to understand what they are looking at. The state is really cracking down on paperwork and if you are missing one small piece of info on a form, then you will receive a write up. For instance, our medical record form has about 40 blanks on the front side. THe parents must fill out every single one. If they leave any one of them blank, we will receive a write-up. If the parent puts a dash in one of the lines, then we will get a write-up, because that might just mean that their pen slipped. To me, this is not as big of a deal as a provider running over ratio, for example, but I think parents will have a hard time evaluating what things mean.

Lori
PolkaTots 07:47 AM 10-16-2012
I think this is good...to an extent. I highly doubt very many parents will check it though. I am in Eastern Iowa, and although I am Registered Level B, ChildNet Certified, and QRS 2, parents could really care less. Registered and Unregistered charge about the same, even though there are huge differences in care. Parent's just don't seem to care where they take their children anymore Some do, but a majority don't.
Heidi 07:48 AM 10-16-2012
Wisconsin does this, too.

I have never had a parent even LOOK at the website unless I specifically directed them there.

I don't know if they post complaints, I think just licensing inspections. I've read through tons of them, and haven't seen a single on that was a "complaint". But, if licensing comes in response to a complaint, something would be posted. Either, that a violation was found, or that a "partial review" was done and no violations where found.

I really, really like that they also post our responses. So, we get an opportunity to say how we will "fix" an issue, if there is one, and we get an opportunity to tell our "side" of the story.
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 10-16-2012
This is all part of the move towards QRIS (Quality Rating & Improvement Systems)

One of the 5 basic element of the system is parent and consumer education.

Which means giving parents a way to access and check a provider's credentials, trainings, correction orders and results of compliance checks.

I really believe that this will be normal in ALL states within the next 3+ years.
crazydaycarelady 08:59 AM 10-16-2012
We have that here in Montana too, although I can't even find myself on there so I don't know how the parents could possibly find me either.
nanglgrl 09:40 AM 10-16-2012
I don't have a problem with posting founded abuse/neglect instances or licensing violations as long as they explain what they are. What I have a problem with is them posting every complaint and not posting enough information about not meeting licensing standards. I've had people complain in the last 10 years always because I wouldn't do something that went against my policies and/or termed them. Every single time when the state has come to investigate its obvious to them almost instantly why the complaint was made and that it was false. It would be ridiculous if these things showed up. On my last licensing visit I was remodeling and we weren't using the space so I had minor violations (tools left out etc) that if written up would look like health/safety violations with no explanation. Now everything is done but I don't like thebidea if being judged before someone visits.
nanglgrl 09:50 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
I think this is good...to an extent. I highly doubt very many parents will check it though. I am in Eastern Iowa, and although I am Registered Level B, ChildNet Certified, and QRS 2, parents could really care less. Registered and Unregistered charge about the same, even though there are huge differences in care. Parent's just don't seem to care where they take their children anymore Some do, but a majority don't.
I agree I'm also a level B registered provider, Childnet certified and QRS level 2. Working on the stars now and thinking about doing TEACH for my BA. So many parents don't care and its sad. Most parents don't even know what I'm talking about when Ibmention QRs or Childnet. They want all the bells and whistles though for the same money. I provide preschool curriculum, have an awesome space dedicated to daycare and don't take infants or school agers but so many parents would choose the lady a few blocks away who is unregistered, charges $5 less a week and is way over capacity because it will save them a little money.
Sugar Magnolia 10:06 AM 10-16-2012
I think parents have the right to know if their provider has had any violations or citations,.and that information should be available online. As a parent, wouldn't you?
nanglgrl 12:45 PM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I think parents have the right to know if their provider has had any violations or citations,.and that information should be available online. As a parent, wouldn't you?
I have no problem with parents being able to easily access violations or citations. My problem is that usually when the government does something it lącks thought and I could see someone getting a violation for not having outlets capped when in fact they don't need to because they have tamper proof outlets (happened to me).
My real problem though is that the general population lacks knowledge in what we do and unless correct and thorough information is provided we will be judged before we even talk to a parent.
Another thing is if non founded complaints show up it could be a big problem. If you terminate a family or have a dispute with one it seems like about 1/2 the time they make a complaint to licensing telling an absurd story. If these are unfounded but still show up in your public info it could cause unneccesary suspicion. An example: if I had a parent that I termed make a complaint that her child had a rash because I didn't change diapers and it was unfounded but showed up in a search it's more likely that future parents that you terminate and who have looked at your info will give "not changing diapers" as a reason to make a complaint. If that were to happen it would show a pattern and the third time would probably be founded based on the pattern of neglect. KWIM? I know I'm over thinking it and most parents won't use it (even though I'd be fine) but I'm alone all day with children who can't say more than a five word sentence that usually entails them wanting something so I have timč to freak out. Lol.
Blackcat31 12:53 PM 10-16-2012
My real problem though is that the general population lacks knowledge in what we do and unless correct and thorough information is provided we will be judged before we even talk to a parent.
This seems to be true...even AFTER they are enrolled.
crazydaycarelady 01:03 PM 10-16-2012
I do agree with nanglgrl. Our licensing will look and look and look for a deficiency until they find one, even though it may be something as simple as a missing signasture on a form. In 21 years I have only had one 100% check. I have been written up for things like: having a heater in a fish aquarium (no rule against this) and having the fire extinguisher on a shelf near the door instead of mounted near the door (actually easier to get it off the self.)
grandmom 02:42 PM 10-16-2012
My state also puts the provider's response to the write-up. So providers need to be extremely careful how they respond to licensor's write-ups. They are on there permanently.
DCBlessings27 03:52 PM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by satcook:
Kansas has just started doing this. I dont think any parents have looked up the info yet. I have looked up info on other daycares. It is interesting to look at, but I don't think the average parent is going to understand what they are looking at. The state is really cracking down on paperwork and if you are missing one small piece of info on a form, then you will receive a write up. For instance, our medical record form has about 40 blanks on the front side. THe parents must fill out every single one. If they leave any one of them blank, we will receive a write-up. If the parent puts a dash in one of the lines, then we will get a write-up, because that might just mean that their pen slipped. To me, this is not as big of a deal as a provider running over ratio, for example, but I think parents will have a hard time evaluating what things mean.

Lori
Yes, KS recently implemented the program to show violations, complaints, and administrative orders. So far, I don't know ANY parents who have actually used the portal. At this point, it seems to be used mainly by providers interested in the histories of other providers.

We are NOT given the option of responding to a violation or complaint and having our response listed. It's a very frustrating system because they do have to list unfounded complaints. The state tried to say that this looks good bc the portal would say that we were cleared. It doesn't do that. It doesn't list the reason or any information about the complaint--it just lists it. Then it will say under "results" something like "needs corrections." I haven't had a complaint, but I was frustrated when I looked at the listings. I was trying to find providers to recommend for my maternity time, and I came across some with complaint histories. However, I don't know what the complaints were for since it doesn't list any information about them.

Oh, and like the other KS provider said, the surveyors spend the longest amount of time during the yearly inspections making sure every little blank is filled out. I think being over numbers or not having any safe surface under a playset is more important than making sure my daycare parents wrote in a dentist's phone number for their 6 week old.
Countrygal 04:46 AM 10-17-2012
As Heidi said, WI already does this. I have had one contact who contacted me because of other non-compliancies she saw on other Daycares.

The thing I see as bad about this is that you have no chance to explain. For example - when my certifier stopped by just for a visit I was in the middle of making breakfast. I had a knife out on the counter (obviously, I didn't know who was at the door and all the children were gated in the playroom. If it had been an inspection I would have been "dinged" for the knife laying out. She commented on that as she walked through the house. It was obvious I had been in the middle of cooking with it. And I would have looked bad, even though in my mind it was a pretty minor infraction, considering I was in the MIDDLE of making breakfast. I often thought about if I was in the bathroom when they come knocking on the door......
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 10-17-2012
I think there needs to be some sort of movement towards more equal and fair inspection processes.

I read enough horror stories on this forum to make me think that licensors, in general, are NOT on the same team as the provider and that really saddens me.

My licensor is my support team! She enccourages the providers in our area to do the best we can and she is hands-on helpful about things we need assistance with or information about.

I have NEVER felt like she has showed up at my child care with an agenda to "do me in" or find violations. She is friendly, helpful and makes herself "one of us" in every way. I cannot say enough good things about her.

I know that this isn't just this one licensor as I have had 3 different ones over the course of my career and ALL of them have been fantastic!

I have shared with all of them (licensors) this site and talked with them about issues that providers across the country have posted about and about how differently licensing is all over.

My licensor rocks!
Cat Herder 07:21 AM 10-17-2012
What I have a problem with is them posting every complaint and not posting enough information about not meeting licensing standards. .
I agree with this, too.

Mine still says "toxic chemical in reach of children" from years ago.

It was small bottle of Johnson's baby oil sitting on the side of the tub. I met the unannounced inspector at the door with naked baby in my arms, wrapped in a towel, after a particularly nasty blowout. (this also now includes most of your art supplies, btw. Check each and every label carefully)

I still can not get them to remove it. Absurd.

I am all for educating parents, but this needs to be met with some common sense.
Tags:iowa
Reply Up