Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sticky Holiday Situation With 2 Daycare Sites
thatdivalady 03:16 PM 11-11-2012
So, I have two in-home daycares. They are approximately 15 minutes away by driving from each other. Now, with the upcoming holidays I'm realizing that I actually do not have a policy about families either choosing to use the other facility or not.

So, at one (the one that I am primarily at) I will be out of town for the Christmas holiday for about a week. However, my staff at the other house will be open. The question is, do I make it an option or mandatory for the families to use the other house. The reason I ask this is because I actually provided it as an option then I looked at how much I will be losing for the other days (we only receive pay for 4 out of the 10 days and we lose two full weekends for another family). So if they choose not to use the other house do they still have to pay the tuition? Our policy states that if we are closed for vacations then the family does not have to pay tuition (I just could not get on board with charging them and they still have to pay a child care provider). Not exactly sure of how to proceed with this.

What would you do? That's basically my question. Any and all replies would be helpful.
bgmeyers 05:10 PM 11-11-2012
I don't see how you can MAKE them go to the other facility. Aren't they on contract with a certain place?
Looking at it from a parent's perspective, it's nice you have given them back up care, but I wouldn't feel obligated to use it.
cheerfuldom 06:26 PM 11-11-2012
I think it is too late to require changes like this last minute. I do think you should revamp your contract to include paid vacation time for yourself. This is not uncommon at all! I dont really understand why a provider would not give themselves some benefits that other jobs incorporate. Secondly, figure out a firm policy regarding when and why a parent would have to temporarily move to the other home and that way the issue is resolved for the future.
littlemissmuffet 07:31 PM 11-11-2012
For future (I think it is too late for this holiday season) I would offer the other dayhome as a backup - and I would tell each family that whether or not they choose to use the other dayhome, they are responsible for their usual fees. Most families will likely choose to use the other dayhome if they have to pay either way.

I charge full rates for all holidays and do not provide a backup... and I have absolutely no guilt about it.
thatdivalady 10:38 AM 11-12-2012
Thats what was told to the parents and that's what I figured. I just wanted to be sure that was the best way to go about it. They are still responsible for the actual holidays but not for the days that location is closed. I will change the policy for 2013 though! Thanks so much!
Reply Up