Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Odd DCP Rule For DCB...
SilverSabre25 07:52 AM 12-19-2012
dcm said the other night that they don't allow him to play on his knees at home...? i found that very strange and have never heard of such a thing! is this something common i've just never encountered? she actually scolded him for playing in his knees here...
DCBlessings27 07:58 AM 12-19-2012
That sounds odd to me too. I've never heard of that. I know that my dd would sit in a W position around 1, which her pediatrician said wasn't good for her.
daycarediva 07:58 AM 12-19-2012
I have NEVER heard of such a thing and it seems like a ridiculous request! There is a reason little boys (and girls!) wear through the knees of pants. I would ask their reasoning behind it, and I wouldn't be on board to enforcing that at my home. The rules are all the same for everyone.
itlw8 07:59 AM 12-19-2012
she does not want him to get dirty or wear out his pants. Sorry that is what boys are supposed to do..

I would have to tell her playing on the floor is what preschoolers are supposed to do. I do keep the floors clean here so they can play on their knees.
Country Kids 07:59 AM 12-19-2012
Maybe so he won't wear the knees of his pants out or so he won't sit down between his legs?

Best I can come up with!
crazydaycarelady 08:00 AM 12-19-2012
The ONLY reason I can think they would do that is to save the knees on his pants, which is ridiculous! I wouldn't enforce that rule at my house.
Blackcat31 08:01 AM 12-19-2012
Hmmmm......wonder why?

My #1 rule here is ALL playing is done while sitting down or on their knees.

I can see the "W" sitting issue being a logical and reasonable thing to discourage but not the knee thing.
lil angels 08:03 AM 12-19-2012
I had a mom ask that I not let her little girl sit on hers either because it could hert her development. Her feet were a bit off and she didn't want her sitting on them. Oh my I herd it all.
Greenplasticwateringcans 08:04 AM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
dcm said the other night that they don't allow him to play on his knees at home...? i found that very strange and have never heard of such a thing! is this something common i've just never encountered? she actually scolded him for playing in his knees here...
Might be cartalidge damage prevention. No one is really supposed to kneel so says my Dr.
CrackerJacks 08:37 AM 12-19-2012
When my dd was younger (and still now a bit) she had some intoeing going on, went to pt for it and everything. The PT stressed her to not sit on her knees (w) as much as possible. I would ask mom "why" she doesn't want him sitting on his knees, if its because of something like this then it makes a bit of sense, if its just because she doesn't want his pants getting dirty then that's just something else.
Solandia 08:54 AM 12-19-2012
It is the "w" sitting, and does he do it all the time? then yes, I would enforce not doing that. But general crawling around on the hands and knees...normal play.
countrymom 09:04 AM 12-19-2012
stupid question, so how is he suppose to play, like pushing dinky cars from one area to another or be a worm (ok my group love to be worms lately)
Scout 09:41 AM 12-19-2012
all I got is this
My3cents 10:01 AM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Please ask this parent why she doesn't want this child on his knee's.

Could be a validated reason for it- W sitting or knee damage etc..

If it is because of the knee's getting dirty- sorry I can't do that, please send him in play clothing only We play on the floor most of the day-

Curious to know the response she gives you on this, please update us when you find out
littlemissmuffet 10:06 AM 12-19-2012
Why not ask? When parents have odd rules like this for their children I ALWAYS ask, because many times their reasoning is really off and I feel it is part of my job to help educate parents. Maybe their IS a valid reason (I can't imagine what), but if their isn't I think it is your place to let her know he's a child and children (and adults) often play on their knees.

I don't allow "w" sitting here - but all the parents know why, so they don't question it when they see me correcting a child to sit in another position.

Please ask mom and let us know what the answer is!
MamaG 10:13 AM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have NEVER heard of such a thing and it seems like a ridiculous request! There is a reason little boys (and girls!) wear through the knees of pants. I would ask their reasoning behind it, and I wouldn't be on board to enforcing that at my home. The rules are all the same for everyone.
Exactly! I have never heard such a thing, sounds like a ridiculous request from lazy selfish people who don't want to buy new pants.
Unregistered 10:36 AM 12-19-2012
Thats why so many kids these day are stressed and have less imagination then the previous generations! Because everyone thinks kids are "mini-adults" instead of "developing individuals". As they get older they get less and less time to be kids! I would tell her "I strongly support letting kids play on the floor/ground/on their knees (w/e you wanna call it) because it incourages exploration and discovery." I would also put it somewhere, either in my philosophy or in my policy, that I make sure children have a DIVERSE environment on different levels and that children still need time to be children! If it is about his clothes I'd tell her "Have you ever considered shorts or sweatpants?" because children find a way to get dirty even if they aren't on the floor.

If also recommend the book 'The Power of Play' by David Elkind, PhD. I read it for my preschool curriculum class. It's about how all of this brain overstimulation by cramming "knowlegde" into kids, giving them all these computerized toys and taking them away from natural play-materials is affecting their imagination- in the book he said he went into a class room of 3rd/4th graders who didn't even know what the word "imagination" meant! It also talks about how less than 1 hour of playing teaches young children more than 3 hours in a lecture-style classroom.
DaycareMomma 10:37 AM 12-19-2012
I had a mom ask me the same thing. I met her with a "Are you serious?" She said she doessn't like spending a lot of money on clothes only to have them worn out in the knees because of daycare. I honestly laughed and told her to go to the local thrift store and buy him pants/jeans because I would NOT keep him from playing on his knees.
Hunni Bee 10:53 AM 12-19-2012
Please don't flame me....

But are they African American? Because if they are, it makes total sense to me.

AA people, especially children, tend to get this really thick, dark skin on our knees and elbows. And it literally takes years for it to go away, if it ever does. Its made worse by "scrubbing around on your knees" as my momma calls it. I was frequently told not to crawl around on my bare knees as a child.
mema 10:56 AM 12-19-2012
I use to have one that I did not allow to sit on anything except his tush. No knees, no laying. He would use that position and bounce up and down and than launch himself onto others Obviously that is probably not the reason, but I would ask her.
Hazel 11:27 AM 12-19-2012
I had a mom that scolded her son for crawling around on his knees bc he was ruining his pants. They would only last a few weeks before they would wear down and rip. I didn't agree with it, but since I can sew, I suggested she buy those knee patches and I put them in for her... I didn't mind and it made life easier. She just made sure he saved his new pants for church and stuff! Lol
Reply Up