Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant/Toddler Philosophy
kcnjason 06:49 AM 08-24-2015
What is your philosophy of Infant/Toddler education?
CalCare 08:19 AM 08-24-2015
Emphasis on relationships, main caregiver per child (infants), let children explore to learn, give children materials to investigate with all their senses. Provide consistent schedules and consistent clear expectations. Encourage milestones when the child is ready: solids when they can sit up and want to feed themselves, toilet training when they can feel it and do the pants themselves. Play based care- no academics or my baby can reads or baby Einstein. These are some of the main foundations of a philosophy, I would say..
Laurel 08:45 AM 08-24-2015
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Emphasis on relationships, main caregiver per child (infants), let children explore to learn, give children materials to investigate with all their senses. Provide consistent schedules and consistent clear expectations. Encourage milestones when the child is ready: solids when they can sit up and want to feed themselves, toilet training when they can feel it and do the pants themselves. Play based care- no academics or my baby can reads or baby Einstein. These are some of the main foundations of a philosophy, I would say..

DaveA 08:56 AM 08-24-2015
That's about as solid a philosophy as they come right there.
Heidi 09:38 AM 08-24-2015
I'd add that I'd never, ever call it "education" because I think it's a ridiculous trend.

I'd also add not a lot of contraptions. I'd make sure to emphasis that I don't use swings, rockers, jumpers, and such. When at all possible, infants should be on the floor exploring their prepared (safe and interesting) environment. That IS their education.

I use some of these principles:
https://www.rie.org/educaring/ries-basic-principles/
Leigh 11:00 AM 08-24-2015

Life is their education. Play is their education. No offense to those who do preschool, but I feel that any formal education before Kindergarten is not developmentally appropriate, and that the kids don't benefit from it. Kids need to play, and that's it.
Indianadaycare 08:59 AM 08-25-2015
I love Janet Lansbury and follow her on Facebook, as well as read some of her books. The main philosophy is teaching self confidence through unhindered play; meaning no contraptions that contain them (bumbos, exersaucers, etc) on a regular basis (Once in a while you may need to briefly) and let them have free movement on the floor to explore and watch their surroundings. As much as possible in a dc setting, I follow her methods of toddler interactions with each other when it comes to letting them handle little squabbles; they almost always work it out on their own. So true! My dc toddlers will grab toys from each other and I don't intervene. I watch close by and 98% of the time, there is a kind of understanding between them and they don't get upset. If one was to be grabbed, pinched, etc I say "I can't let you hurt her." and remove the offending hand, fingers, etc. I teach gentleness by example, while saying "Be gentle..." With babies, I feed, love, diaper, interact with, and then lay them down to "play" in a pnp close by. They need that freedom of movement, and also time to take in their surroundings without an adult always talking/entertaining them.
After raising four kids and doing daycare/nannying for many years, I've found this to be common sense AND very effective. I can tell easily the toddlers that come to me who were not given free movement on the floor as babies, and either were carried everywhere or placed in a seat where they were dependent on an adult to get them out of it for long periods of time. They are no where near as steady on their feet, on the playground, etc. They seem somewhat less secure and more timid. One sweet dcg still can't roll over at 10 months b/c her mom just couldn't "bear" to see her struggle with anything, so would do it for her. She still cries out in frustration, waiting for me to help, when she is really capable herself. And no, she doesn't have any physical problems. Of course that's a generalization and there are those who are not that way. That's just been my personal experience.
One last thing about babies: I don't fret if they cry while "playing" as long as I know they are fed, dry and have been loved on. Some babies have extra energy, and crying lets them get that energy out. Babies cry. It's a mistake to think we can care for babies and not have crying. Loving attention, and common sense.
Indianadaycare 09:01 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:

I use some of these principles:
https://www.rie.org/educaring/ries-basic-principles/

Unregistered 06:03 PM 08-25-2015
A close, caring connection with me, a cozy and interesting environment, play, encouraged to explore & a provider that understands the needs and abilities of this age.
Reply Up