Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Providers in Northern Virginia?
Dsquared 06:56 AM 03-31-2016
For the first time in 5 Years I am having a difficult time filling this spot. I see providers on here saying they fill spots in a week. I have never filled a spot that quick! It has never taken this long though. I feel like I have been trying since February( I have a beautiful house and daycare. I am not licensed. The reason being is I only care for 4 kids. I am thinking now I need to get a license or permit and maybe this will help me fill spots quicker. What is the difference between a license and a permit? How do I get more info and is their a social worker I can talk to?

How are you ladies filling spots? I have noticed so many new home day cares in northern Virginia and I am wondering if that's why I am having a hard time. I'm starting to wonder if my time in home daycare is over. I'm feeling really frustrated.

Thanks ladies! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
LysesKids 07:04 AM 03-31-2016
Originally Posted by Dsquared:
For the first time in 5 Years I am having a difficult time filling this spot. I see providers on here saying they fill spots in a week. I have never filled a spot that quick! It has never taken this long though. I feel like I have been trying since February( I have a beautiful house and daycare. I am not licensed. The reason being is I only care for 4 kids. I am thinking now I need to get a license or permit and maybe this will help me fill spots quicker. What is the difference between a license and a permit? How do I get more info and is their a social worker I can talk to?

How are you ladies filling spots? I have noticed so many new home day cares in northern Virginia and I am wondering if that's why I am having a hard time. I'm starting to wonder if my time in home daycare is over. I'm feeling really frustrated.

Virginia just changed their regulations; new ones go into effect in July & legally licensed exempt providers will be limited to 4 kids instead of 5... might want to check what the new laws are concerning licenses too
LysesKids 05:02 PM 03-31-2016

BTW, certain counties & cities in NOVA require Licensing regardless of # of kids (in other words licensed exempt is illegal care)... you might want to make sure you are running legal where you live
Dsquared 06:13 PM 03-31-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
BTW, certain counties & cities in NOVA require Licensing regardless of # of kids (in other words licensed exempt is illegal care)... you might want to make sure you are running legal where you live
Do you honestly think I would run a daycare and keep kids in my home illegally? The law is 5 without a license in my county. In July the new law is only 4. It doesn't effect me because I never watch more than 4.
LysesKids 07:03 PM 03-31-2016
Do you honestly think I would run a daycare and keep kids in my home illegally? The law is 5 without a license in my county. In July the new law is only 4. It doesn't effect me because I never watch more than 4.
Honey, a lot of NOVA cities have licensing in place; I never accused you of running illegal, but city regulations can trump county... I use to live there & there are a lot of people running afoul of laws in Fairfax, Arlington and other cities unknowingly, so it was precautionary, not accusatory.

I also have been licensed in many states, not just registered or licensed exempt and I have 16 years professional experience to add to my 35 personal ( kids & grands). I keep up with laws because I tend to move every few years and most my family happens to live in VA & MD. I also worked the legal field before childcare in MD & VA...
Tags:nova, virginia member
Reply Up