Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Calling Out Drug and Drop Without Accusing
SunflowerMama 09:19 AM 08-31-2016
So I have a new family in their 10 day trial period. 10:30a 2yr old spikes a 103.1 fever so I message mom and dad to pick up. First things first mom's response "well if she's not miserable and playing could you just isolate her?" 2nd thing I don't think a fever that high comes our of no where. So how do I ask without accusing if they medicated her this morning?
laundrymom 09:27 AM 08-31-2016
"I realize that it's inconvenient to take off when a baby has a fever. I know how hard it is to balance work and being a parent but I am unable to provide care for a sick child. Please remember, I am a well child program. I can't accept children I to care who have been medicated."
nanglgrl 09:28 AM 08-31-2016
I hope you responded "no, she needs picked up immediately".
I wouldnt even askbecausecthey will just lie. Instead change your policy to if they get sick at home they can return 24 hours after all symptoms are gone with no medicine but if they get sick at daycare they have to be gone for 2 full days plus symptoms are gone with no medicine. Either Blackcat or Nannydee started this (they can word it much better) and ever since I adopted it I don't get dope and drops.
SunflowerMama 09:33 AM 08-31-2016
Oh yeah I definitely made them come and grab her. I actually did add that 48hr policy to my contract at some point but just reviewed what they signed and that page was missing. Ugh. So they'll be out 24 I just know they gave her something this morning which is what's so frustrating.
Play Care 09:53 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
Oh yeah I definitely made them come and grab her. I actually did add that 48hr policy to my contract at some point but just reviewed what they signed and that page was missing. Ugh. So they'll be out 24 I just know they gave her something this morning which is what's so frustrating.
You will probably find that by following your illness policy (making them pick up and excluding the next day as well) they will realize they can't pull one over on you.

Do you do a health check each morning as they come in? We are required here and I ask the child and parent things like "what did you have for breakfast? Did you sleep well last night? How do you feel this morning? Did you take your vitimins?" all while I feel foreheads, look in hair, assess skin color, etc. etc. You can do this casually so it looks as if your just ruffling their hair and what not. But kids can say the darndest things...
Ariana 09:54 AM 08-31-2016
I aould just flat out ask "did little jenny have any medication this morning, as it seems odd that she suddenly spiked a fever that high". If they say "no" then say you are very concerned because it is not usual for that to happen and that she will need to be excluded for 48 hours under those circumstances.
Blackcat31 09:55 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I wouldnt even askbecausecthey will just lie. Instead change your policy to if they get sick at home they can return 24 hours after all symptoms are gone with no medicine but if they get sick at daycare they have to be gone for 2 full days plus symptoms are gone with no medicine. Either Blackcat or Nannydee started this (they can word it much better) and ever since I adopted it I don't get dope and drops.
The 24/48 hour rule was CatHerder.

It really does work.

24 hours if they stay home on their own accord.
48 hours if they make me be the bad guy.

Once my clients figured this out (how it does not benefit them to lie) they are great now about illness.

Its a couple other areas that I need to do more "training" in apparently....
daycarediva 09:57 AM 08-31-2016
I have the same policy. I also do health checks like playcare, and ask the kids about their morning and the previous evening.
SunflowerMama 10:34 AM 08-31-2016
Thanks guys! I might start the health checks because it usually not until someone's sick that I ask them about mommy or daddy giving them any medicine in the morning or not feeling well the night before.
Unregistered 11:34 AM 08-31-2016
How could mom not want to run and grab her baby who has a fever that high ? Maybe it's just me.
Cat Herder 11:40 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How could mom not want to run and grab her baby who has a fever that high ? Maybe it's just me.
If she already knows it is an ear infection/common virus that the doc won't give meds or a return to daycare note for.

24 hours fever free, 24 hours on meds or a doctors note is pretty standard procedure.

That is why the 24/48 helps.
WBee 11:54 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I agree with all but did you actually forget to add that page or did they take it out? Be certain to have her sign it next visit. I actually had a parent pull out two contract forms prior so I gave them to her a few weeks later. Now I check to make sure ALL documents are returned right away.
Josiegirl 04:04 PM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by WBee:
I agree with all but did you actually forget to add that page or did they take it out? Be certain to have her sign it next visit. I actually had a parent pull out two contract forms prior so I gave them to her a few weeks later. Now I check to make sure ALL documents are returned right away.
Well wouldn't that be a sneaky thing to do, especially without mentioning it, but I can see a dcp doing it.
nannyde 05:33 PM 08-31-2016
That be cathearder who came up with that brilliance.
KiwiKids 07:28 PM 08-31-2016
I would make parents pick up. One of my own kids did spike crazy fevers. He would be fine and within 30 minutes he would spike to 102 and it was always an ear infection except once was strep.
Reply Up