Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice needed quickly - vomit
KDC 08:26 AM 08-22-2012
Hi All!
I Have a 2.5 yr old DCB that just puked. We're in the playroom and we have the rose cottage house, and he puked inside the house. It was phlegmy with curdled milk (sorry to be graphic!) Maybe 1/4 cup worth? It wasn't a ton, just smelled like sour milk. He does NOT have a fever. He's only had a frozen waffle this morning at breakfast. No other symptoms, hasn't been coughing or anything. Is this something you'd call a parent & have him sent home for? He's acting totally normal. I'm wondering if he gagged on his hand or something?
JenNJ 08:31 AM 08-22-2012
When in doubt, send him home. I would rather be wrong than have 5+ other kids come down with a stomach bug!
Lilbutterflie 08:36 AM 08-22-2012
I definitely send home on first vomit, even when there are no other symptoms. Better to be safe than sorry! What does your handbook say?
Blackcat31 08:41 AM 08-22-2012
I would classify that as "unexplained vomiting" and in my illness policy that means going home.

If you don't know "WHY" you have to assume the worst so that you can keep others as healthy as possible.
KDC 08:48 AM 08-22-2012
Thank you so much. I called the parent right away, then second guessed myself. He just started back on Monday (Teacher parents), so it makes me feel bad... but yes, I'd rather be safe than sorry. DCP is on his way. Thanks for being my sounding board and offering advice. I appreciate it.
momma2girls 08:55 AM 08-22-2012
I send home with any vomiting!!
countrymom 08:56 AM 08-22-2012
I would have sent him home because I don't do well with puke. I wonder if its something he ate last night and its been bothering him all day, also, I have kids who don't go to the bathroom to the point where it will make them puke (overload)
Crazy8 08:59 AM 08-22-2012
I don't send home for a milky spit up but do send home a vomiting child. I guess I'd have to know the child, I had one with a bad gag reflex and he would throw just from crying too hard. But I also agree with the "when in doubt send them home" thing so I probably would have called mom.
Reply Up