Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Boba? Ring Sling? Advice Please!
Leanna 08:36 AM 07-22-2013
So I have a new infant starting in a few weeks and I am getting excited...and prepared! I always do a lot of baby wearing, especially when they are brand new to me.

In the past I've used a Snugli (I still have it) but I keep hearing that they are bad for babies. So I am thinking of investing in a new "device." One of my moms suggested a ring sling which looks comfortable but complicated. I also worry with the ring sling that the baby will not be secure...especially if there is any human error variable in the way it is put on.

One of my friends uses a Boba which look comfortable and secure but how is the Boba different than a Snugli? Unless it is really, truly not good for the baby I'd rather not spend a lot replacing it. Does any have any info and/or experience to share?
SilverSabre25 08:44 AM 07-22-2013
Boba's are AMAZING!

And they are good for baby--the other "cheaper" carriers are known colloquially as "crotch danglers" as they have the baby weight being supported in the crotch area, which is physiologically not very good for them, nor is it comfortable. These carriers also often don't distribute the weight very well on you, leaving baby hanging off your upper body and your upper body supporting the baby's weight.

In a better carrier such as an Ergo or Boba, the baby is held so that their hips and legs are in a better position and they are not hanging from their crotch. These carriers also have straps that help redistribute the baby's weight from your upper body down into your hips so that it is immensely more comfortable for you as well.

My personal preference is a Moby (it's a wrap, and much simpler than a ring sling) for the wee tinies, and then a Boba or similar soft structured carrier for when they are bigger. Moby wraps are VERY easy to use!
mamac 08:54 AM 07-22-2013
I definitely recommend the Ergo baby carrier! Love, love, love it!!! It was the only carrier that I used that didn't put any strain on my back at all. I tried it on my ds when he was 3 (almost 4) and it was like I wasn't even wearing him.

It's a little different from most of the other carriers in that the baby doesn't face forward but it's supposed to be better for their hips that way. You do have the option of side wearing or back wearing along with the front. There is an optional insert to use for infants. I called it a little taco shell because you wrap the baby in it before putting him in the carrier. I never used it though and my boys were only 5 lbs when I started using the carrier.

I can't say enough good things about this carrier. I used it all day long on a week long trip to Hawaii and it was a lifesaver. Even dh liked this one better than all the other carriers we tried. Definitely give this one a try and you'll see how comfortable it is.
Unregistered 09:16 AM 07-22-2013
I've never tried a Boba. I had a Beco Butterfly that I really loved. It has a harness inside that makes for an easier back carry. Ergos are nice, they're actually on sale on babyhalfoff.com right now. I never got the hang of ring slings.
MotherNature 09:35 AM 07-22-2013
I prefer mei tais. They tie like an apron, and are basically a soft structured carrier like ego, beco, boba, but without the buckles and padding, though I'd recommend padded straps on a mei tai. Babyhawk makes a good one, very customizable, & you can always find good deals on thebabywearer.com
Angelsj 11:25 AM 07-22-2013
I love the unpadded Moby wraps. By far the most comfortable I have worn.
countrymom 06:27 PM 07-22-2013
I had a heart to heart sling and it was the best. And as my kid got older I was able to piggy back her with it.
youretooloud 09:31 PM 07-22-2013
I LOVE the Boba. I definitely wouldn't use a snugli. Imagine yourself sitting sideways on a swing in the park with your legs hanging straight down, but nowhere to rest them.

But, with a newborn, i'd use a sling. I wouldn't use a Boba until about five months.

http://pinterest.com/pin/269864202644303952/

Originally Posted by :
Positioning

A good baby carrier should mimic the way we hold our babies in arms and the way our babies position themselves when held. When you hold a newborn, he will automatically draw up his legs into the “froggy” position with his knees apart. The holder instinctively places her hand under baby’s bum and holds baby at a height where the top of his head is easily kissed. An older child will automatically bring his legs up around the holder’s waist so that his knees end up slightly higher than his bum. Pick up your child and try it for yourself. Thinking Beyond the Bjorn: Considerations in Choosing a Baby Carrier

In order to mimic this natural holding position, a carrier must support baby out to the knees (as in the carrier comes all the way out to baby’s knees) and should place the knees slightly higher than the bum. A newborn is most often worn “legs in” so that he can froggy his legs up as he would when you hold him (different carrier types will allow for “legs out” at different ages).

Carriers like the Bjorn, Snuggli and Infantino SSC have earned the un-savory nickname “crotch-danglers” because they don’t position baby in the natural holding position. Instead, baby is seated in a fairly narrow seat leaving the legs to dangle straight down.
I have made mei tais. It's not hard, and it only takes about four hours even if you don't know how to sew.

http://thosemartins.com/bmt/index.htm

http://myinnerneedtocreate.blogspot....y-carrier.html

Second hand carriers are very easy to find on some natural parenting For sale or Trade boards. Thebabywearer.com has a message board like this one, you could look for a few used carriers for the price of one new one. (some are very expensive used...apparently they hold their value)
youretooloud 09:57 PM 07-22-2013
Here is an Ergo knockoff. I have no idea if it's as good as an ergo or a Boba, but the reviews aren't bad, and for $14, it's a great deal, even if it isn't as good.

It still has to be better than a snuggli.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0089XXJU8/babiesnmom-20
JenNJ 02:38 AM 07-23-2013
The Boba is amazing! I love mine. Also, the ring along is very comfy but can take down practice. I prefer the Boba for active daycare life.
cheerfuldom 07:19 AM 07-23-2013
I personally dont care for wraps because there are certain fabrics that cant be used after a baby is a certain weight. and even after that, it does take time to wrap and unwrap baby. If you are planning to wear for long periods or let baby nap on you, then a wrap is a good idea....otherwise i would go with a ring sling or soft structured carrier. The ring sling is a lot easier than it looks but the SSCs are literally hands free once you have baby in. Depending on the baby's size, you may need an infant insert for a SSC. I personally would not use any Snugli or similar carriers. There are some that are decent but for the most part, it is a low quality item.
Reply Up