Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Genuinely Curious
Baby Beluga 08:30 AM 02-26-2016
For those of you who have your DH assist you when speaking to parents, is your DH regularly involved in DC? Or does he speak to the parents as support for you? How do the parents respond to him?

I have always wondered this.

My DH has nothing to do with DC. He works from home almost exclusively now but doesn't speak to the parents or the children unless he sees them in passing. They know he is home, they see his vehicle in our driveway but since he is in his own office working seeing him is very rare. I think if I asked for his assistance in speaking with a parent, he would laugh at me.
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
For those of you who have your DH assist you when speaking to parents, is your DH regularly involved in DC? Or does he speak to the parents as support for you? How do the parents respond to him?

My DH has nothing to do with DC. He works from home almost exclusively now but doesn't speak to the parents or the children unless he sees them in passing. They know he is home, they see his vehicle in our driveway but since he is in his own office working seeing him is very rare. I think if I asked for his assistance in speaking with a parent, he would laugh at me.
Same here.

Mine comes in and does any maintenance necessary on the building and property. He also cooks and prepares lunch daily as well as interacts with the kiddos on a regular basis but other than a passing greeting or casual chit chat here and there, he really has no interaction with parents as far as daycare policies etc.

I handle all of that. He would be present if I just needed a second adult (as a witness type thing.. ?) but asking him to assist in enforcement or discussing an issue.....he plays no role in that.

Basically he runs his business (I am supportive of HIM but do NONE of his work.)
I run my business (he is supportive of ME but does NONE of my work).
sharlan 08:41 AM 02-26-2016
Mine is here, but doesn't talk to the parents. He stays in his little corner of the world.
NoMoreJuice! 08:46 AM 02-26-2016
Mine is here most of the time during drop off/pick up, and he runs calls during the day. He knows every parent, every child, and everything that I know usually. He answers the door often and chats with parents, sometimes about a cute or quirky thing their child did that day. Sometimes about their cars, houses, jobs, or life in general. He's like a second me. Policy things or gripes that I need to relay to parents, he steps back and lets me handle. He just wants to be the good cop and let me be the bad cop, haha!
thrivingchildcarecom 08:47 AM 02-26-2016
Honestly, I prefer him not be involved. I know its hard because my DH is at home more often too, but the license has only my name on it. Its also difficult because there is only minimal contact with adults and I really don't like talking the business with my assistant if I can help it. But in the past my DH has been a little too involved even to the point of overstepping me. In recent years, I have tried to get the mindset of this is my job and he has his job.
NillaWafers 08:47 AM 02-26-2016
Mine is not normally here, but since I had the baby, he's been getting up early and taking my earliest kid (6:30). He just opens the door for them and keeps and eye on her while I wake up around 7ish. Then he leaves for work once I'm up.

Other than that - I handle it all.
Fiddlesticks 08:52 AM 02-26-2016
Mine is not involved. He might be home during drop off or pick up, but only rarely. However, if I was being openly disrespected by a parent, especially a dcd, he would likely be present if I was expecting a confrontation.
Thriftylady 08:57 AM 02-26-2016
When mine is home, he may have some chit chat with the parents. And he will talk and joke around with the kids. But when it comes to the business end he does nothing. He doesn't deal with any issues or anything like that. We kind of see it as he has his job and I have mine. Now like any married couple we do sometimes help each other but not in a way to get involved in the business side of things.
lovemydaycare0912 09:11 AM 02-26-2016

My dh works jointly with me in the daycare. He is my approved substitute but he's always here. This way, we are able to have all 6 of our dcks be under age 2 if we'd like. Families know both my husband and I enforce all rules and policies. For my last situation, I had dh deal with dcd because dcd is more respectful to him. Kind of scared, I dont know.

Hope this helps
lovemydaycare0912 09:13 AM 02-26-2016
If this helps, our main goal is to open a center. That's why we are in this together right now.
Annalee 10:04 AM 02-26-2016

I learned most of my business tactics from my dad....be strong~non-negotiable~genuine kind of respect for people in general. My husband wants no part, nor do I want him to have a part, in my daycare business
daycarediva 10:24 AM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
Mine is not involved. He might be home during drop off or pick up, but only rarely. However, if I was being openly disrespected by a parent, especially a dcd, he would likely be present if I was expecting a confrontation.
Same here.

My dh plays the heavy ONLY and ONLY when necessary (eg, DH can you be home at 5 for a term?) He has had to ask one dcp to leave. Dh is a little intimidating, so when he came around the corner and dcd didn't even know he was there, he was shocked!
Leigh 10:34 AM 02-26-2016
I wouldn't allow my husband to interfere with my business. I can see asking him to be nearby if I were truly frightened for my safety, but I wouldn't let him speak for me (and he's wanted to more than once-he's very much impulsive about things that get him riled up).
laundrymom 10:39 AM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Same here.

My dh plays the heavy ONLY and ONLY when necessary (eg, DH can you be home at 5 for a term?) He has had to ask one dcp to leave. Dh is a little intimidating, so when he came around the corner and dcd didn't even know he was there, he was shocked!
This is my DH. He's great. He plays. But when he needs to use the big voice, he knows how.
DaveA 10:39 AM 02-26-2016
Generally when my wife is home she just plays a little with the kids and chit chats with the parents unless she's subbing for me. I'll ask her advice from time to time on how to handle a situation, but basically I stay out of her job & she stays out of mine.
Controlled Chaos 12:39 PM 02-26-2016
My dh comes down to cha every once in a while. The kids know him, and all the parents have met him in passing. But no, he doesn't work for me so he doesn't do dc business. Its all me. I would be irritated if he stepped in. And honestly he's nicer than me, so I probably enforce policies better His job is to assure me I'm not a BOW after I have to lay down the law
BabyMonkeys 12:56 PM 02-26-2016
My husband usually gets home around 5:30 and the parents pick up around 6. When they see him pull in the driveway they all run to the window "V's home!" He will come in and play with them for a while. The parents are friendly with him. It's really pretty much a relaxed environment. Since I have such a tiny group (3), and I've had them since birth, we have gotten pretty comfortable with the families. We are really friendly, but not friends, only because I insist on keeping a business boundary.

When I interviewed my husband was always there. I was inviting them into my home, and he treated them like he would any other guest. While we were going over the business aspect, he let me handle it. It works for us
Unregistered 01:23 PM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here.

Mine comes in and does any maintenance necessary on the building and property. He also cooks and prepares lunch daily as well as interacts with the kiddos on a regular basis but other than a passing greeting or casual chit chat here and there, he really has no interaction with parents as far as daycare policies etc.

I handle all of that. He would be present if I just needed a second adult (as a witness type thing.. ?) but asking him to assist in enforcement or discussing an issue.....he plays no role in that.

Basically he runs his business (I am supportive of HIM but do NONE of his work.)
I run my business (he is supportive of ME but does NONE of my work).
Same here. We are both small business owners. It would embarrass me personally asking for help. I can handle it.
Unregistered 01:26 PM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Same here. We are both small business owners. It would embarrass me personally asking for help. I can handle it.
I should add that he knows all my dck's and dcp's. They love him, he is just a big kid lol
spedmommy4 01:41 PM 02-26-2016
DH has filled in for me a handful of times over the past year when emergencies have come up. He also talks to the kids, helps with lunch prep, and "shop talks" with a few of the dcd's once in awhile. He prefers that I handle anything business related. He will pitch in without complaining but working with little ones isn't for him.
Blackcat31 06:55 PM 02-26-2016
I should add that he knows all my dck's and dcp's. They love him, he is just a big kid lol
Exactly!
Meeko 11:29 PM 02-26-2016
We make sure that parents who sign up know we are a FAMILY daycare in every sense of the word. Myself, my husband, my 31 year old son and one of my daughters (19) are always here. They answer the door, talk with parents etc.

This is our only source of income and so everyone has an interest in the running of our daycare.

The parents look to me as being in charge, but are perfectly happy to be greeted by any one of us. I don't take anyone who acts like they think men in daycare is "creepy" (yes I have interviewed "those" kinds of folks!!)
lovemydaycare0912 07:43 AM 02-27-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:
We make sure that parents who sign up know we are a FAMILY daycare in every sense of the word. Myself, my husband, my 31 year old son and one of my daughters (19) are always here. They answer the door, talk with parents etc.

This is our only source of income and so everyone has an interest in the running of our daycare.

The parents look to me as being in charge, but are perfectly happy to be greeted by any one of us. I don't take anyone who acts like they think men in daycare is "creepy" (yes I have interviewed "those" kinds of folks!!)
Yes we have gotten phonecalls from people who aren't too fond of my husband being here. And that's where it ends. No need in enrolling someone who doesn't trust us.
Meeko 01:12 AM 02-28-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Yes we have gotten phonecalls from people who aren't too fond of my husband being here. And that's where it ends. No need in enrolling someone who doesn't trust us.
I think it's weird how a parent will call up a FAMILY daycare and then make it clear they don't want any FAMILY around!!!
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 02-28-2016
I think it's weird how a parent will call up a FAMILY daycare and then make it clear they don't want any FAMILY around!!!
...because most feel it's THEIR family you are taking care of/focusing on.

I don't think they always recognize the caregiver has a family too.
Lovisa 03:18 PM 02-28-2016
My dh doesn't involved himself in the business aspect of things, but he does say hello to the parents when they are dropping off or picking up if he is here. He says hi to the kids, stuff like that. He works from home a few times a month but usually stays in the back of the house for the most part.

A few families have wanted to meet my husband prior to their kids joining my daycare. I totally understand that since this is our home and he will be around the kids here and there.

No way would I take a family though that wanted my family never to be around their kiddos. Clearly, if they ask that, a home daycare isn't the right fit!
DaveA 04:00 AM 02-29-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't think they always recognize the caregiver has a family too.
But I thought all daycare providers were celibate saints with nothing better to do than be on call 24/7to watch my children while they are waiting for their application to the convent to be approved?
AnneCordelia 06:03 AM 02-29-2016
My husband is friendly in passing. And he does work from home a few days a week.

But this is MY business. I make the rules and enforce them. I do the hard stuff because it is my job.
Baby Beluga 06:07 AM 02-29-2016
It has been interesting hearing how individual everyone's business is run.

Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
About 2 years ago I have also had this. Although this mom was weird anyway. She asked how many girls I had enrolled because her daughter's current daycare had "too many boys." Then she said her child liked to be naked and asked if that would be a problem (yes, it certainly would!) Then she asked who had access to my house. When I told her my husband worked from home 1 day a week (he was only home 1 day a week at the time) she got very weirded out. Interview ended quickly after that. Looking back on it it seems as if she had a problem with males in general.
Thriftylady 06:08 AM 02-29-2016
A few months ago, I saw a facebook post somewhere, it may have been shared on a daycare group. The lady basically had a post saying she was looking for "daycare that didn't cost an arm and a leg", but there could be "no men in the house and I will kill you if a man harms my daughter". I thought wow providers will be lining up for that one! I understand that maybe something happened to her in her life, but people really need to get help to get past their issues and understand that not every man is evil. I had something happen to me growing up. And I had an abusive ex husband. That doesn't make every man evil. If I hadn't give current hubby a chance to prove he would never mistreat me, I would have missed out on a great man! (our marriage is far from perfect, but he is a great man).
Ariana 07:30 AM 02-29-2016
My husband has nothing really to do with daycare besides bus pickup and drop off because it is easier for him to do it. He also works from home sometimes but he has his own office so doesn't really interact with us that much.

I do let the parents know this though and he has a police check done for peace of mind for the parents. The crappy thing is that my husband has the same birth date (month and day not even the same year) as a sex offender so has to go the extra step (and expense!) of getting his finger prints taken. He has to go all the way downtown to get it done and it costs a lot. Very annoying.
Tags:husband - helping out, husbands and daycare, spouse
Reply Up