Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Conducting Interviews
Shawn 03:12 PM 12-02-2016
Hey everyone,

I've been in business for 15 years now. I love what I do. But I really need to get a backbone. I accept too much mess from dcp's. It's getting to the point where I almost want to quit. I know I need to set the tone during the interview.

So my question for you all is this.

When you do interviews do you have to go into detail discussing topics using harsh wording such as;

"If you don't pay on time, I can't pay my bills on time."

"Please respect that I do have a life outside of caring for your child so pick your kid up before closing or risk voiding the contract."

" All payments are due on Fridays. Will this be a problem for you?"

I don't like having to really stress these topics because for one, it's a given that you have to pay at payment time and that you have to pick your kids up before the daycare closes. I have parents who would rather pay the late payment fees than just to do what they are suppose to do.

I would love if I didn't have to stress these during the interview. But now a days I feel like I have to be the drill sergeant laying down the rules of boot camp to new recruits.

Do you have to go through this or is it just me?

Thanks in advance.
daycare 03:48 PM 12-02-2016
I discuss all of this at the time that I set up our enrollment meeting. this is the 34r or 4th part of enrolling into my program. At that time I go over our policies and my expectations of our program.

I never use personal matters as to reasons why they have to pay their bill on time. I tell them, I am strict and run a tight ship, please be sure that you understand that I will charge late fees if your payments are not paid when due.

I really do feel that this meeting sets the tone and over time you will have to hit reset.
childcaremom 01:46 AM 12-03-2016
I have a lengthy policy book that I go over briefly during interviews. But the top things (to me) I go over in depth. I do this all in a general conversation way. But it is matter of fact and there is no black and white.

Example: Payment is every two weeks, due on Friday by 9 am. I take emts and get clients to send them on Thursday evenings in case there are delays. I accept them Friday morning. Receipts at the end of every month. I tell them I have late fees but that care won't continue unless their account is paid up. In my policy book, it is written that I can term for continuous late payments.

I go over their contracted hours. If pick up is 4:30 then your child needs to be picked up and off the premises by 4:30. If the parent goes on about maybe a client runs late, what if there's traffic (I am very generous with allowing travel time), then I will usually say at that point that I do not have flexibility with my closing time and that if they need that in a daycare, we will not be a good fit. If they need that flexibility in pick up times, they need to go somewhere else that's open later. I just state it matter of fact. They don't need to know why, just that I won't do it.

Same with any other issue. I just tell it matter of factly, explain what my policy is, and gauge their response.

I guess it is a little bit like a drill sargeant but I'd rather go through all that now then end up with terrible clients that I need to term.
debbiedoeszip 08:06 AM 12-03-2016
I have clients pay in advance and I have no problem terming over payment or drop off/pick up issues. I don't mention this during the interview (other than payment being due in advance), I just assume that they aren't d*cks and go ahead. I listen for red flags though. Things like, "I think I can swing <your fee>." If they aren't sure that they can afford me then I don't take them as clients.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:24 AM 12-05-2016
So how do you leave the end of your interviews? Whose court is the ball in so to speak? You will let them know if you decide to accept them, or they should let you know if they are interested in proceeding with care?
Blackcat31 10:04 AM 12-05-2016
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
So how do you leave the end of your interviews? Whose court is the ball in so to speak? You will let them know if you decide to accept them, or they should let you know if they are interested in proceeding with care?
I tell all families that I will get back to them with MY decision within 3 business days.

After 3 business days, I either e-mail an offer to take the open space or I tell them thanks for interviewing but I am choosing to go with another family. I then ask if they would like to remain on my waitlist.

If the family that is offered the spot does not reply within 48 hours, I contact the next interested/best fit family.

I have other guidelines or requirements that need to met after being offered the spot too but that's how I end my interviews.

No matter what I always make sure families understand that I am the one deciding if I will or won't offer them space. They definitely don't have to take the space if offered but they don't get to make the final call.
Fiddlesticks 12:31 PM 12-05-2016
I do not necessarily use harsh tones with parents at the interview, but if they ask if I am flexible with drop off/pick up times or payment dates, I just say no. I do not explain, I do not apologize, I just say no.

I think the reason there are often issues with late pick ups and payments is because we as providers are tender hearted, and will say, "Oh, that's okay..." when really we are peeved. I never let any thing slide. The first time a parent is late I say, "I closed at five, I have a $1/minute late fee, I will waive it this time, but the next time you are late I will charge you appropriately." AND THEN I DO. Same the first time they "forget" to pay me. Just like with children, follow through is everything. If you are saying, "oh, it's okay, please try to remember that I close at five..." in a nice sweet voice, they are going to think it is no biggie. Be firm, be direct, be unapologetic, and be consistent, then you will never have to be angry.
grandmom 03:22 PM 12-05-2016
Originally Posted by Shawn:
Hey everyone,

I've been in business for 15 years now. I love what I do. But I really need to get a backbone. I accept too much mess from dcp's. It's getting to the point where I almost want to quit. I know I need to set the tone during the interview.

So my question for you all is this.

When you do interviews do you have to go into detail discussing topics using harsh wording such as;

"If you don't pay on time, I can't pay my bills on time."

"Please respect that I do have a life outside of caring for your child so pick your kid up before closing or risk voiding the contract."

" All payments are due on Fridays. Will this be a problem for you?"

I don't like having to really stress these topics because for one, it's a given that you have to pay at payment time and that you have to pick your kids up before the daycare closes. I have parents who would rather pay the late payment fees than just to do what they are suppose to do.

I would love if I didn't have to stress these during the interview. But now a days I feel like I have to be the drill sergeant laying down the rules of boot camp to new recruits.

Do you have to go through this or is it just me?

Thanks in advance.
I would start by suggesting a change in words for you.

Payment is due (the morning of) ______. Any payments after that date are charged $__ per day.

Frankly, they don't care if you can't pay your bills on time. But if there's a late fee - and you follow through and charge it the first two times it happens, it won't continue to happen.

Same with picking up the kids. If you enforce a late fee the first and second time, they will see you mean business, and that you are a business.

As for payday. Don't ask if your payday will be a problem for them. Verizon doesn't ask me if my pay date will be a problem. They tell me when payment is due and they charge a late fee.

Practice a change in presentation, say it with a smile, don't write a policy you aren't willing to follow through with, and then follow through.

You're good as gold.

Good luck.
Reply Up