Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT-The Walking Dead
daycarediva 01:32 PM 03-02-2013
I was just catching up on my tivo last night, and they went into a daycare center to look for baby supplies, and I started BAWLING. It wasn't even graphic and I doubt a zombie apocalypse is really going to break out. Can you imagine if something like that happened (or even a natural disaster) and we had all of these kids to care for? These kids are turning me into a big softy!
Michael 01:36 PM 03-02-2013
Between the drugs some are taking (crack/meth/bath salts) and the advances in mind control, we may have something akin to zombies attacking in the future. Stock up on vitamins.
youretooloud 01:57 PM 03-02-2013
I suggest buying that freeze dried food and storing it in 50 gallon barrels. I'm not sure how to keep the zombies from getting inside though... they seem able to get inside anything.

I saw that episode too, and was thinking "Look at those cords hanging from the television, I bet that isn't up to code".
Lyss 02:36 PM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I suggest buying that freeze dried food and storing it in 50 gallon barrels. I'm not sure how to keep the zombies from getting inside though... they seem able to get inside anything.

I saw that episode too, and was thinking "Look at those cords hanging from the television, I bet that isn't up to code".

I remember thinking "man I hope news of the outbreak happened at night and all the DCPs kept their kids home so there isn't some provider out there running from zombies with 8 DCKs in tow!!"
daycarediva 03:22 PM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:

I remember thinking "man I hope news of the outbreak happened at night and all the DCPs kept their kids home so there isn't some provider out there running from zombies with 8 DCKs in tow!!"
That's what I thought too! My screamer dcb would be a zombie siren! My emergency plan has nothing for zombies in it. LOL!

I thought the cribs were outdated, missed the blinds though!
LittleD 04:15 PM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
That's what I thought too! My screamer dcb would be a zombie siren! My emergency plan has nothing for zombies in it. LOL!

The CDC has a zombie preparedness pamphlet!
http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies.htm
nanglgrl 07:07 PM 03-02-2013
Are you guys kidding? You know half of our clients would show up at our doors the next morning with the hope that we are open.

"Knock, knock"

me: "I'm armed find another house!"

parent: "It's just me, Tracy. My hubby and I need some time to scavenge, and we are paid up through Friday, you're taking kids right?"

me: "Sorry, I'm not taking any today."

parent: "Ug, we have soooo much to do today. I wish I would have known you were going to be closed so I could find a new sitter. We went through hell trying to get here. So, do we get a refund? I don't remember seeing anything in your handbook about having to pay for days off due to an apocalypse."

me: "Fine, she can stay, just please shove her in here and go. I've told you a million times not to linger with the door open and please stop letting her push the door bell the noise is drawing attention to us"

parent: "Awesome, she's acting out of sorts but she was up late and has allergies and is teething so just let her rest, oh and that thing that looks like a bite on her leg is just dry skin."
youretooloud 08:09 PM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
parent: "Awesome, she's acting out of sorts but she was up late and has allergies and is teething so just let her rest, oh and that thing that looks like a bite on her leg is just dry skin."
LOL.. "And, she started growling this morning, I think she learned that at daycare"
nanglgrl 08:38 PM 03-02-2013
We were in Florida last May (May 16th) and it was all over the news about a piece of medical equipment that was supposed to be destroyed being stolen as it was sitting on a loading dock waiting to get taken away. It was used to perform a biopsy on a man who had a fatal disease similar to mad cow and there was no way to clean the equipment afterwards so it was believed if the equipment was used on someone else they could become infected.

The disease the man had was called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
"The first symptom of CJD is rapidly progressive dementia, leading to memory loss, personality changes and hallucinations. This is accompanied by physical problems such as speech impairment, jerky movements, balance and coordination dysfunction, changes in gait, rigid posture, and seizures. The duration of the disease varies greatly, but sporadic CJD can be fatal within months or even weeks. In some people, the symptoms can continue for years. It can be transmitted by contaminated harvested human brain products, immunoglobulins, etc...Cannibalism has also been implicated as a transmission mechanism.. "
Sounds like a zombie right?

Not even 2 weeks later on May 25th there was the Maryland case where a man ate his roommate and a case in Florida where while being arrested after failing a sobriety test a doctor "began to smash his head against the patrol car until blood gushed down his face".

A day later on May 26th police shot a naked man in Miami who attacked a homeless guy and was eating his face. "The officer then used his service weapon and shot the man, but the gunshot had no effect. Other sources confirmed that the man refused to obey, and continued his attack. The officer had no choice but to keep shooting until the attacker was dead".

On May 29th, a California man was arrested after an altercation turned violent. During a physical fight with his cousin, he bit off the man's nose. On the same day a New Jersey man allegedly cut out his entrails in front of police and then threw bits of his flesh and intestines at them.

On June 5th a Miami man “growled at officers like a rabid dog and tried to bite one of the officer’s hands. Just before, he had violently banged his head against a police car’s glass".

So medical equipment is stolen from a hospital in Orlando that may have been infected with a disease that causes people to go crazy, have jerky movements and hallucinations among other things. Then less than 2 weeks later we see cases of humans eating other humans or just generally acting crazy in Maryland, Miami and California and New Jersey. Umm...

I was humoring a friend who is really into zombies when I put all of this together last year. I saw the news reports about the medical equipment from our hotel room and then when the homeless guy was attacked and had his face eaten I was like, "what?!" All of it is true but can be explained by things other than a zombie apocalypse. I just think it's interesting and like to freak people out.

I don't believe we would ever have a zombie apocalypse but Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is scary especially if you read more about it. Most countries have barred people who have spent more than a few months in certain European countries, received transfusions (depending on date and location) or have relatives with the disease from giving blood. The disease can also manifest years after it was contracted.

Like I said, I doubt the zombie apocalypse will happen but I do think a flu epidemic that wipes out a good number of our population will happen eventually. It keeps getting stronger and evolving and we keep getting weaker. People are living closer together and many don't stay home when they are sick. It's a matter of time in my opinion.

I hope I didn't give anyone nightmares!

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/0...#storylink=cpy

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news...cal_equip.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzf...3Jakob_disease

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/05/26...1-dead-1-hurt/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1554126.html
nanglgrl 08:39 PM 03-02-2013
LOL.. "And, she started growling this morning, I think she learned that at daycare"
Of course she did.
nanglgrl 08:43 PM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I included a volcanic eruption in my emergency plans. I live in Iowa and have yet to see a volcano. The state recently made everyone add a flood plan and I live no where near a body of water so I decided to be a smart alec and add the volcano. You should have seen her face when she went to my door to look at my plans.
Lyss 09:34 PM 03-02-2013
I included a volcanic eruption in my emergency plans. I live in Iowa and have yet to see a volcano. The state recently made everyone add a flood plan and I live no where near a body of water so I decided to be a smart alec and add the volcano. You should have seen her face when she went to my door to look at my plans.

Patches 10:16 PM 03-02-2013
Are you guys kidding? You know half of our clients would show up at our doors the next morning with the hope that we are open.

"Knock, knock"

me: "I'm armed find another house!"

parent: "It's just me, Tracy. My hubby and I need some time to scavenge, and we are paid up through Friday, you're taking kids right?"

me: "Sorry, I'm not taking any today."

parent: "Ug, we have soooo much to do today. I wish I would have known you were going to be closed so I could find a new sitter. We went through hell trying to get here. So, do we get a refund? I don't remember seeing anything in your handbook about having to pay for days off due to an apocalypse."

me: "Fine, she can stay, just please shove her in here and go. I've told you a million times not to linger with the door open and please stop letting her push the door bell the noise is drawing attention to us"

This had me cracking up
Lyss 09:16 AM 03-03-2013
I'm just wondering how they are making that forumla last so long!

New episode tonight!
bunnyslippers 11:16 AM 03-03-2013
I love love love the Walking Dead! I seriously love Sunday night, just because of this show!

And there is no douby that I would have daycare kids here, apocolypse or not, right up until closing time.

"Hi, I am here to get dck. Sorry I am late, I had to pick up my dry cleaning and run to the store. You wouldn't believe the lines."

"Well, there is a zombie apocolypse. I will pass her through the doggie door."

"We have a long ride to escape the zombies - would you mind packing up a snack and some diapers for the road?"
youretooloud 02:06 PM 03-03-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
I'm just wondering how they are making that forumla last so long!

New episode tonight!
That's better than on LOST, when Baby Aaron's mom disappeared forever, and Sawyer carried him through the jungle for a day or so. The baby had NO food ever again, since Claire was the only nursing mother on the entire island... yet, he seemed to survive just fine.
Tags:zombie
Reply Up