Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Showing Up When Closed??
WBee 06:00 AM 01-02-2018
I am absolutely disgusted by parents who do not listen and do not read notes. I sent a detailed note home prior to my vacation, stapled to the daily note, stating that we would be closed through Tuesday January 2nd and reopen on Wednesday the 3rd. I just had two families show up at my door while I'm in my pajamas this morning. This is my last vacation day due to the Monday holidays. This is the second time this has happened this year. I even tell them ahead of time. Is it me? So sick of this.
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by WBee:
I am absolutely disgusted by parents who do not listen and do not read notes. I sent a detailed note home prior to my vacation, stapled to the daily note, stating that we would be closed through Tuesday January 2nd and reopen on Wednesday the 3rd. I just had two families show up at my door while I'm in my pajamas this morning. This is my last vacation day due to the Monday holidays. This is the second time this has happened this year. I even tell them ahead of time. Is it me? So sick of this.

No, it's not you. Its parents. They hear what they want to hear and not necessarily what they are told. I'm sorry your last day of vacation was ruined by their inconsideration.

When I have a day off or a vacation planned, I will write up a notice and have each parent sign/date it acknowledging they were told and know the date(s). I can't image it would stop anyone from showing up but it would definitely make them feel like a horse's behind when I pointed it out to them.

Enjoy your last day and don't let anyone's rudeness ruin it!
Cat Herder 06:25 AM 01-02-2018
It is pretty common. I send home notices, put a banner on the sign in/out page and post it on our FB page a year in advance. I even verbally confirm as they walk out the door on the last day and still have people get it wrong. The chances are multiplied if they have kids going to more than one provider or school.

It worked to my benefit today, I was up early and ready to go but everyone stayed home because public school is still out. The invoices cleared so I have been simply "enjoying" my morning by getting ahead on 2018 training.
rosieteddy 06:58 AM 01-02-2018
When I took a different or extended vacation I would always put a note on the door the night before.I did not want to see them and often they forgot when we were closed.The note said reminder daycare closed today,Do not ring bell see you tomorrow thanks.
DaveA 07:42 AM 01-02-2018
I have one DCF that are model parents except in all the time they have been enrolled they forget closing dates about 20% of the time. Holidays not so much, but my Birthday or Anniversary (I close for both) or Winter/Summer Break I can count at least one attempt at pickup or drop off.

Reminders help, but some people just don’t get it.
Poptarts22 08:48 AM 01-02-2018
Had it happen just last Tuesday. A mom texted me while I was shopping stating that she was “in the drive and it doesn’t look like anyone is home”. That’s because it is my day of—-just like she had been notified of plenty of times, and also there was a note posted above my doorbell. I didn’t respond to her text, because it was my day off. I don’t conduct business on my off days unless it is an emergency.
HappyEverAfter 09:13 AM 01-02-2018
I have all my closed days noted in my handbook, posted on the chalkboard by the door the week prior to being closed and still worry someone will forget and show up. It’s never happened but I do have a parent who I think this could easily happen with. To give an extra reminder, I send a text the day prior reminding parents childcare will be closed and the date it will reopen.
MomBoss 09:16 AM 01-02-2018
I would not respond to the doorbell or leave a note on the door. I probably wouldnt respond to calls/text either. If my door is closed and im not answering, they have to assume "oh she must be closed,".. right? Lol.
MomBoss 09:18 AM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
Had it happen just last Tuesday. A mom texted me while I was shopping stating that she was “in the drive and it doesn’t look like anyone is home”. That’s because it is my day of—-just like she had been notified of plenty of times, and also there was a note posted above my doorbell. I didn’t respond to her text, because it was my day off. I don’t conduct business on my off days unless it is an emergency.
Did you ever respond? What was her reaction? That is too funny. I would do the same.
Poptarts22 10:19 AM 01-02-2018
I responded when my work day resumed-at 4 am the next morning. I let her know that “I’m back to work today. Did you need something?” She didn’t respond to my text but at drop off (10am) she said she had gotten my text. She had “forgotten “ I had the day off. Uh huh. She is one who likes to “forget”-things like late fees, and spare clothes and Paying on time....you know the type!
lovemykidstoo 10:36 AM 01-02-2018
I have not had that happen, although I worry about it whenever I have a day off. I did have one dad come to pick up his son when I had the flu last year and closed. By the time I opened the door he had a lightbulb moment and was getting back in his car and yelled sorry! lol. So did you answer the door? What happened?
WBee 11:22 AM 01-02-2018
I did have to answer the door, unfortunately. I was having breakfast with my family at the table which they can see through the door. They both still tried to come in the house as my husband and I were telling them we were closed. One looked uncomfortably shocked and the other one looked like he was not happy. We reminded them of the notice a week ago and kindly shut the door. Thanks for your support everyone! I feel better now.
flying_babyb 04:38 PM 01-02-2018
I worked at a daycare and we had this happen on our inservice day! Then the parent continued to argue with the director that we never told her. Was pretty funny!
Annalee 06:01 PM 01-02-2018
Went to the grocery store today and saw a daycare grandpa that picks up and he said "see you tomorrow". I replied with "no, Thursday". He said "well I am glad I saw you or I would have brought xxx tomorrow".
Lil_Diddle 01:05 PM 01-04-2018
This happened to me once, and I think the DCM totally played grandma. DCM knew I took a personal day. Conveniently she asked grandma to take the kids to daycare that day. Continuous knocking on my door at 7am but I refused to get up, I was not going to be guilted in to keeping the kids. Not sure if grandma (who works) ended up keeping the kids or if she called DCM. DCM texted me later and apologized she forgot to tell her mom that I was closed.
WBee 05:10 AM 01-30-2018
Here we go again! Snowstorm today with a one-hour delay. I had a new family start I gave them the form and told them we follow our elementary school system for delays and closings and here they are in my driveway. I feel like I don't get it when it's really them that don't get it. And the child's mom is a school teacher! I give up.
Blackcat31 05:50 AM 01-30-2018
Here we go again! Snowstorm today with a one-hour delay. I had a new family start I gave them the form and told them we follow our elementary school system for delays and closings and here they are in my driveway. I feel like I don't get it when it's really them that don't get it. And the child's mom is a school teacher! I give up.
Did you accept them into care or tell them they had to wait?

Ugh! That would really bother me as it's such a simple concept if parents would just pay attention.
WBee 05:57 AM 01-30-2018
I had put a note on my door ahead of time this time, kept my blinds closed and lights off and stayed upstairs. Yay me!
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 01-30-2018
I had put a note on my door ahead of time this time, kept my blinds closed and lights off and stayed upstairs. Yay me!
Yes! Yay you!!

Glad you weren't "forced" into early open!!
amberrose3dg 08:57 AM 01-30-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes! Yay you!!

Glad you weren't "forced" into early open!!
UGH ,glad you stuck to being closed.
MomBoss 09:04 AM 01-30-2018
So did they wait outside for an hour? Lol
CityGarden 09:24 AM 01-30-2018
My program also follows the local school district for closures but I do email parents a list of those dates (at the start of the year).

I would also email a closure notification for any unexpected closures from the school district (weather, earth quake, fire, bomb threat, active shooter, etc.). Since most of my families would not be notified if the school was closed unexpectedly sending them an email or group text helps avoid them not being informed. My little group of 5 live in 4 different school districts and all have different calendars and closure policies so I do not assume they will know - even if they are a teacher.

Good for you!!!
WBee 03:40 PM 01-30-2018
No. They live very close and left pretty quickly. I didn't mention anything when
they came back either. Lol ��
tenderhearts 08:16 AM 02-01-2018
I had this happen once, I took the day off for a very early appointment so I wasn't here, but she told me the next day that as soon as she realized my blinds were closed and our dog started barking like crazy she was embarrassed and ran back to the car. She said she felt stupid, apparently she put it down for the wrong month.
BrynleeJean 12:46 PM 02-01-2018
I put notes on the door a few weeks ahead of time, and on my chalk board in the hall 2 weeks before a closing or sub day and send home note as reminders a week before and then remind then verbally a day or two in advanced and its always the same parents that are like "what?" its never an issue they always find care because by that point they feel sill for not noticing the notes that have been up for 10 days, but i failsafe it because, yea, i know how that are.
Tags:paid days off
Reply Up