Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Your Opinions FAST PLEASE!
Soupyszoo 08:47 AM 06-12-2012
Ok I'll make this quick...
Dcb is 22 months apx. He's been sick a week. Just came back today and looks aweful. Here are his symptoms...
Refuses to eat
Horrible foul smelling diarreaha which is constant
Horrible open wounds diaper rash
Stomach pain
No fever (or so she says)
No vomitting (")
Very lethargic/depressed
Sores on the corners of his mouth (possibly dehydrated?)

Now...dcm says she's taken him to the dr twice and both times he's been deemed healthy and she says there's absolutely nothing wrong with him...

Please tell me if any of you have an idea what may be wrong. I'm really worried. I suggested a couple things like lactose intolerant etc... Maybe he's depressed (a lot of stuff going on at his home)... Then after she left I got to see for myself, he's not well.

I already know she's coming to get him and needs a dr note to return, I'm looking for personal experience on what this could be!

Thanks ladies and gentleman! You all are the best
cheerfuldom 08:54 AM 06-12-2012
wow, my first thought is just plan out neglect. open sores for a diaper rash is very serious. are you SURE that she has addressed these issues with a doctor? I absolutely would require a doctors note at this point. I would not allow him to return until the diaper rash is cleared and the sores are gone, no matter what the doctor says.
AnneCordelia 08:55 AM 06-12-2012
We just had a virus come through here:
Diarrhea
Horrible diaper rash
Sores on mouth
No fever or low fever
Tired and cranky

One of my clients docs said HFMD. My doc said 'just a virus'. Perhaps something similar.
Soupyszoo 09:06 AM 06-12-2012
That was my first thought too cheerfuldom.

But I also had another dcb that had hand foot and mouth last week, and this dcm swears this isn't what he has.

I can never be certain w this dcm if she's being honest my very first though was plain ole neglect though. But the refusing to eat and diarreha has me even more concerned!
littlemissmuffet 09:36 AM 06-12-2012
poor babe. I am also thinking neglect...

First, I would document this incident (with photographs as well) and then I would send home immediately and require a doctor's note stating diagnoses and treatment plan before retunring to daycare.

Please, let us know what happens...
AnneCordelia 09:44 AM 06-12-2012
HFMD does often cause blisters in the diaper area with babies. Combine that with diarrhea and open sores are likely. If you know there is a diagnosis of HFMD within the daycare then I think it's pretty likely that this is that as well.

http://www.cdc.gov/hand-foot-mouth/a...-symptoms.html
youretooloud 09:48 AM 06-12-2012
Either Rotavirus (I'd get him out immediately if that's the case) The last kid I had who got rotavirus was so dehydrated that he nearly died. He was in the hospital for over a week because he was so dehydrated.

Originally Posted by :
Rotavirus – one of the most common causes of diarrhea, especially during late fall and winter months. It causes very foul smelling, watery, green or brown diarrhea that can persist for weeks. Fever and vomiting are common at the onset of the illness.

or Hand Foot Mouth.

Hand Foot mouth is contagious, and very miserable. But, unless she's lying about what the doctor said, it's very easy to detect. Sores or thrush in the mouth, won't eat, miserable and sores on the bum and legs. Sometimes on the hands and feet. Not all kids get that sick from it, but many do.

So, either, she never took him to the doctor, she's lying to you, or her doctor is an idiot.
Soupyszoo 10:01 AM 06-12-2012
Yep. I talked to her again after he refuses to eat breakfast. Pancakes. She doesn't seem too concerned. Said she may take him back the doctor. I don't believe her. Besides telling her to come get him and needing a note, I don't know what else to do
TTOTS 10:11 AM 06-12-2012
Documentation savves lives and jobs! Good luck to that poor baby

Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
poor babe. I am also thinking neglect...

First, I would document this incident (with photographs as well) and then I would send home immediately and require a doctor's note stating diagnoses and treatment plan before retunring to daycare.

Please, let us know what happens...

Buxterboo 10:37 AM 06-12-2012
Has he been taking in fluids? If he has NOT and he is still having the BMs, i would insist mom come and get him. Kids that little dehydrate amazingly fast. Keep a close eye out for symptoms.
If you you are allowed, I STRONGLY reccommend cleaning his bum off after every poop with WATER only (no wipes, chemicals can make it worse) and COATING the area with a barrier cream. this is what we did in the hospital the wounds will never heal unless they are completely protected and clean from poop/pee.
As for all the other stuff, I am brand new to day care so I have no advice. I hope he gets better soon! Good luck
daycare 10:45 AM 06-12-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
Yep. I talked to her again after he refuses to eat breakfast. Pancakes. She doesn't seem too concerned. Said she may take him back the doctor. I don't believe her. Besides telling her to come get him and needing a note, I don't know what else to do
I think that you are doing all that you can... We can't force parents to do anything, we can only suggest to them to seek medical care for their child. Like others said. Document everything.

I would require that this child has a doc note that states diagnosis, not a note that states the child can return to care. YOU need to be the one to decide if you are still able to care for the child under the conditions they have. Take into consideration the following. Will it take more time away from the other kids, will I need to provide special, will the child be able to participate as normal? If yes, then I think the child needs to stay home.

I hope that it all works out for you. If the mom does not seek medical help for the child, I would consider calling CPS
Solandia 11:09 AM 06-12-2012
I am going to totally call BS on the mom... even not-so-great doctors will go into crisis mode for a *very lethargic* child, a toddler even more so. Very lethargic means not playing, laying on the couch without doing anything, not smiling much or responding very little to you or other kid goofiness. It is nothing to mess around with. That is very, very serious. If he is able to giggle or cry to get attention, get up and mope around, and wanders from chair to couch...that isn't necessarily lethargic, but it is concerning....extremely concerning combined with the other issues.

He needs to go home & to the doctor immediately. My advice to the mom would be to NOT downplay his issues (she might be, IF she took him to the dr at all). In the past with chronic issues with dck's (i have had several asthmatics, a failure to thrive, and one with a major balance issues)...is that I write down a list of concerns & out of the norm issues for the parents to take if they feel the doctor is downplaying their concerns.

something isn't adding up. No doctor I know (and i have known some bad ones) would complete discount these issues this 22mo is having.
Soupyszoo 11:51 AM 06-12-2012
I agree 100%. It just makes me mad that she doesn't feel how serious this is. The lathargy is severe. He doesn't respond to silliness or trying to get him to smile. He just stares at us.

If she did go to the doctor yesterday can't she call today and say she needs a note for me today? They can fax it or she can pick it up? I think he needs more medical attention though personally.
SunnyDay 11:55 AM 06-12-2012
Poor little guy. My son just had a virus that sounds similar except he had a fever and it only lasted a day. It did cause a diaper rash for him because he has very sensitive skin and just all of the diaper changing & wiping made him red (but certainly not open wounds). I definitely would have been concerned if he was like that for a week
Lilbutterflie 12:03 PM 06-12-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
I agree 100%. It just makes me mad that she doesn't feel how serious this is. The lathargy is severe. He doesn't respond to silliness or trying to get him to smile. He just stares at us.

If she did go to the doctor yesterday can't she call today and say she needs a note for me today? They can fax it or she can pick it up? I think he needs more medical attention though personally.
No, don't accept a "faxed" doctor's note!!! I would actually demand that he be SEEN by a doctor today. Perhaps the child was not lethargic yesterday so the doc didn't see the lethargy. EVERY doctor takes it seriously if they see a lethargic child... the mom should demand a new doctor if hers did otherwise. A lethargic child like you have described is very seriously ill and needs medical attention immediately!! Please emphasize this to the mom as clearly as you can.
momma2girls 12:22 PM 06-12-2012
Tell the Mom that you cannot accept them back in care, til totally able to be in daycare and participate with everyone else. Please demand a Dr.'s note with a diagnosis on it. Do not accept child back in daycare, til all symptoms are relieved!!
Heidi 12:23 PM 06-12-2012
I agree with the others. Send him home, and he can only return with a note with specifics.

I also agree that you write a note outlining your observations and concerns, as well as what, exactly, you want from the doctor. She can give it to the Doctor while rolling her eyes, but it's your way of assuring that he does not have a communicable illness.
Crystal 12:28 PM 06-12-2012
Is he still at daycare now?

I am concerned about dehydration. My daughter nearly died when she was 5 and her symptoms of illness had only been present for a few hours when it happened.

Personally, I would not wait for Mom and I wouldn't mess around. I'd call 911 and have him transported to the hospital. If he is not responding to you, this is a clear sign of dehydration.....my daughter, by the time we were at the hospital, had 0 blood pressure and was getting no oxygen to the brain. 20 minutes before that she was able to talk to me and took a bath. This child could die in your care if he is as bad as you describe. Call 911 and then call Mom to meet him at the hospital.

If Mom gets mad....tough cookies.
Abigail 12:39 PM 06-12-2012
Did you call the mom to pickup? I would have done that shortly after observing. Then I would have taken pictures and document it. I hope the child gets better!
Crystal 04:24 PM 06-13-2012
Update on this? Please?
Lilbutterflie 07:46 AM 06-14-2012
Soupyszoo, can you give an update?
momma2girls 10:46 AM 06-14-2012
Enquiring minds want to know!!
Reply Up