Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parking in Driveway
Unregistered 07:19 AM 01-24-2020
How many of you allow parents to park in your driveway? I am starting to wonder if I need to put it in my contract to not allow this anymore. Reason being: we have a two car garage, but since my son has started driving, we now have a third vehicle. He parks on the driveway. There are many mornings and some afternoons where he needs to leave and parents vehicles have blocked him in. An example: this morning he was out putting his hockey gear in his car before leaving for school. As he was doing this, a parent pulled in and parked right in the middle of the driveway blocking the way so he couldn't leave. The parent came in and said "I'll make this quick" knowing she blocked him in and he now needed to wait for her before he could leave. Why would you park there knowing you blocked him in?
I have told him that when he comes home from school he should park in the street if he is going to need to leave before parents have picked up, but he needs to be parked on the driveway overnight, especially during the winter months since it is illegal to park on the street during the winter season.
jenboo 07:24 AM 01-24-2020
I sent a notice home when it started to interfere with my husband needing to leave. It was no big deal and everyone parks on the street now.
MyAngels 08:03 AM 01-24-2020
I've dealt with this for years (single car driveway, busy street). When my kids were young and still living here, they always knew they needed to leave a few extra minutes in the morning in case they'd get blocked in (hubby too, for that matter). I also never hesitated to tell the parents they needed to drop and go if someone was waiting to pull out.

My drive is long enough for three cars to pile in, so we go over this periodically, reminding them that they need to be thoughtful when dropping off and picking up. Not only for my own family, but for other families dropping off and picking up as well.
Snowmom 08:04 AM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How many of you allow parents to park in your driveway? I am starting to wonder if I need to put it in my contract to not allow this anymore. Reason being: we have a two car garage, but since my son has started driving, we now have a third vehicle. He parks on the driveway. There are many mornings and some afternoons where he needs to leave and parents vehicles have blocked him in. An example: this morning he was out putting his hockey gear in his car before leaving for school. As he was doing this, a parent pulled in and parked right in the middle of the driveway blocking the way so he couldn't leave. The parent came in and said "I'll make this quick" knowing she blocked him in and he now needed to wait for her before he could leave. Why would you park there knowing you blocked him in?
I have told him that when he comes home from school he should park in the street if he is going to need to leave before parents have picked up, but he needs to be parked on the driveway overnight, especially during the winter months since it is illegal to park on the street during the winter season.
I wouldn't think street parking would be illegal during the winter unless it was overnight parking.
Cat Herder 08:29 AM 01-24-2020
I ended up having my teens park at the barn and walk to the house during the work week. They were young, physically fit, did not have small children in tow and did not contribute to the financial growth of our household at the time. It was the best choice I had at hand at the time. I was fortunate enough to have that second drive option. I think if I didn't, I probably would have had my teens move their cars out to the street just before opening hours. I opened the daycare to give them the best childhood I could, so making a few concessions to it would be good for them, a life lesson on family compromise.
Jupadia 02:34 PM 01-24-2020
I allow parents to park in the drive, but we have only 1 car and enough room for a seconed car to pull in. Other then that some parents will park right in front of my house, this would be fine but then they park in front of a stop sign. My driveway is the fourth part of a 3 way stop. If your on the road there is ab3 way stop, but if your pulling out of our driveway it's a four way stop. If you know what I mean. They do this cause a) there scared of our driveway cause it's also on a hill going down into our garage or b) cause they dont want to walk up a few houses. A few parents have been ticket in the past, back when the hospital across the street was a regular hospital, now that's its being converted into long term care and other stuff the parking people are not always in the neighborhood so tickets dont happen in the short time there dropping off or picking up.
coloradoprovider 08:07 AM 01-26-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I ended up having my teens park at the barn and walk to the house during the work week. They were young, physically fit, did not have small children in tow and did not contribute to the financial growth of our household at the time. It was the best choice I had at hand at the time. I was fortunate enough to have that second drive option. I think if I didn't, I probably would have had my teens move their cars out to the street just before opening hours. I opened the daycare to give them the best childhood I could, so making a few concessions to it would be good for them, a life lesson on family compromise.
I like how you let your teenagers know that the world didn't revolve around their wants! Some parents aren't willing to let their children be inconvenienced for the benefit of others.
Tags:providers own children
Reply Up