Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help!
BBurris1 01:34 PM 12-21-2015
I am a new provider. I only have my 15 month old son and a 2 year old dcg at the moment. A friend of a friend just had a baby and I said I'd hold her spot without the normal holding fees as a favor to my friend. We have an interview set up next week and she wants her daughter to start the first week of April.
I got a call this morning from a mother looking for care for her 3 month old and 20 month old to start January 11th. The toddler moves up to preschool in May. I can't accept all 3 kids with my son due to ages.
I really want to accept the siblings because we desperately need the income. My husband has been working crazy amounts of overtime to make ends meet until the daycare picks up. But I don't want to go back on my word for the friend of friend's daughter! What are your thoughts? Do I need to turn away the siblings and accept the single infant to start in April? Or can I say my opening for her is in May?
Reply
NillaWafers 01:54 PM 12-21-2015
I'm sorry mom, but I'm just not able to accommodate your request to hold the spot without a holding fee any longer. If you wish to hold the spot the fee will be $____. Thank you for understanding.

If you need the money badly, take the siblings. There is no sense on losing money for your family for a friend of a friend. I haven't been in business long, but I've learned you've definitely got to stick up for yourself because nobody else will - do whats best for your family, not your friend's friend (because they sure won't be thinking about how this costs you money or customers in the long run).
Reply
Thriftylady 01:55 PM 12-21-2015
First you have to separate friends and business. If you do business with friends, you have to have two relationships one for friends and one for business. Given that you need the money I would do the interview and see if it even pans out. If so tell your friend that you need to accept this family, but will have your opening for her in May.
Reply
NillaWafers 01:57 PM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
First you have to separate friends and business. If you do business with friends, you have to have two relationships one for friends and one for business. Given that you need the money I would do the interview and see if it even pans out. If so tell your friend that you need to accept this family, but will have your opening for her in May.
Reading comprehension for the win. Definitely just interview and see if they're interested first
Reply
Blackcat31 01:57 PM 12-21-2015
I too would take the siblings.

Income trumps a favor ANY time when it comes to business.

Also alot can happen between now and April. You may not want to keep the sibling set or perhaps the friend of a friend decides to go somewhere else or your other DCK's family gives notice......

Who knows but April is along way off to make decisions now.

I'd take the sibling set, enjoy the income and wait until closer to March before deciding what to do. If you really want to take the friend of a friends baby then, you can give notice to a family that you gotta let them go.
Reply
BBurris1 02:33 PM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Reading comprehension for the win. Definitely just interview and see if they're interested first
The issue is that the infant interview is Monday and I'm not sure if the sibling interview will be before or after! I'm hoping before!
Reply
Miss A 03:29 PM 12-21-2015
I would suggest that you accept the sibling set, and inform the family that you are doing a favor for that due to changes in your program, you will not have the availability for their infant until May. It may be that you interview and find that the I can't family isn't the right match for your program, of that the infant family will be willing to wait the extra month because they love your program so much. I hate making these decisions, but have faith that it will all work out for the best!
Reply
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:52 PM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by BBurris1:
The issue is that the infant interview is Monday and I'm not sure if the sibling interview will be before or after! I'm hoping before!
During the interview, make sure you let them know you have others interviewing for the spot too and that you'll let them know. That way they aren't assuming they automatically have it just for showing up for the interview. You'll want to tell everyone you interview that you have others interviewing also (even if you don't really). This gives you a way out if you really don't want to take the family, or a better fit comes up before you offer them the spot after their interview. That's something I've learned on here that has been very helpful.
Reply
Thriftylady 09:43 PM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
During the interview, make sure you let them know you have others interviewing for the spot too and that you'll let them know. That way they aren't assuming they automatically have it just for showing up for the interview. You'll want to tell everyone you interview that you have others interviewing also (even if you don't really). This gives you a way out if you really don't want to take the family, or a better fit comes up before you offer them the spot after their interview. That's something I've learned on here that has been very helpful.
This!!! I have gotten to where I always do this even if I am pretty sure I will offer the spot. It serves a couple of purposes. First off it gives me time to reflect on if the family is a good match for my program. Secondly, it keeps me from looking desperate (even if maybe I am at the time).
Reply
BBurris1 12:20 PM 12-22-2015
Thank you all! You all said what I was thinking, but was having trouble committing to. If both interviews go well, I will accept the siblings and hope the friend of a friend will wait until May.
Reply
Tags:advice, enrollment, friend's children, help me, money, openings, waiting list
Reply Up