Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Temperature and clothing requirements
lizzardb85 07:37 AM 09-30-2015
I know this is a common problem and complaint but, what temperature do you start requiring parents to change the way they dress their children?

It isn't "cold" here yet but it has been raining for a few days and at drop off the temp was 53 and the high is 70 and overcast today. Mom drops off in pants shoes with socks and a jacket saying man it's cold and damp. What is DCG in? Shorts t-shirt and sandals no socks.

She has a very light jacket in her cubby which she asks for almost every morning when getting here. When we play outside she is freezing. I have dropped hints and comments but it just doesn't get through.

I am thinking of adding to my rules that at ____ temperature pants and shoes with socks must be worn. We will be outside and your child will be cold. Is this foolish/controlling? I will be asking for new clothes in the cubby today that include pants and socks as she still only has summer stuff.
childcaremom 08:05 AM 09-30-2015
I send home letters at the change of every season. I list exactly what needs to be kept here for each child.

So by Oct 1st, each child needs a hoodie or light jacket, light weight hat, mittens (no gloves), splash pants, rain boots and rain coat.

Winter wear I require proper outdoor gear and specify exactly (eg: snowmobile mitts, not stretchy ones and two pairs each day), etc etc

I have no qualms about specifying exactly what is expected in terms of outdoor wear and will call for pick up if a child is not prepared.

I am quite clear on this during interviews and always send home reminders so there is no surprise when it happens to a parent. Because there is always that one parent.
HHdaycare12 10:11 AM 10-01-2015
I hear you, I have one DCM who must think its still July. Not only that the dck shoes never fit, she is a size 6 at least and always in a size 4. I usually leave her shoes off as long as I can after nap. Have hinted to mom multiple times and nothing. Still always in tank top, shorts and these too tiny sandals. Besides a flyer, I am thinking an email to both parents may be next. Maybe you could send a general "parent notice" email out? Good luck!
hope 10:26 AM 10-01-2015
I have a dcg dropped off in flip flops and a short sleeve shirt. Dcm was bundled up in boots, sweater and scarf. It was 50 degrees when dropped off. High is 62 today. I told dcm starting tomorrow I need boots, coat and winter clothing. Dcm respond "i get worst mother of the year award". ?????????
littletots 11:24 AM 10-01-2015
Print the color weather chart from the main page of daycare.com. I post it. I keep my van garaged. If I don't open my garage door first I may not feel the temp outside. Reading the temp on phone isn't same as feeling it. Kwim? I keep extra jackets, gloves, sweaters. Nothing better than dcp seeing pic of dck in someone else's jacket.
Reply Up