Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I guess I just need you to say it
Thriftylady 03:04 PM 10-08-2015
I am pretty sure what you all will say, maybe I just need you to say it so here goes.

The other day I got a text about childcare. The mother wanted to come right that minute and I said no, I could do it tomorrow and gave a time. She countered with another time so boyfriend would be home. She had a ton of questions told her most would be answered at interview. She had always been at centers, said okay. Next day I text her saying confirm our appt. About half an hour before our time, she texts me saying she is caught up at job and family (welfare office) can we change it back to the time I first offered (2 PM) I said okay. Time came and went never heard a word. That was two days ago. Tonight at around 5:30 she texts and ask if she can come today for an interview. I told her no because she no called no showed. She responded "ok". Part of me thinks I did right, the other part of me knows I can't afford to turn away a paying client. I know what you all will say.... So please just say it lol.
Blackcat31 03:12 PM 10-08-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I am pretty sure what you all will say, maybe I just need you to say it so here goes.

The other day I got a text about childcare. The mother wanted to come right that minute and I said no, I could do it tomorrow and gave a time. She countered with another time so boyfriend would be home. She had a ton of questions told her most would be answered at interview. She had always been at centers, said okay. Next day I text her saying confirm our appt. About half an hour before our time, she texts me saying she is caught up at job and family (welfare office) can we change it back to the time I first offered (2 PM) I said okay. Time came and went never heard a word. That was two days ago. Tonight at around 5:30 she texts and ask if she can come today for an interview. I told her no because she no called no showed. She responded "ok". Part of me thinks I did right, the other part of me knows I can't afford to turn away a paying client. I know what you all will say.... So please just say it lol.
Hey, don't beat yourself up about it.

I think you are half right and half wrong.

I do NOT like being no showed...especially after you already rearranged your schedule for the first issue she had but if you truly need paying clients, there is nothing wrong with interviewing anyways despite the no show and using that situation to REALLY drive home the communication aspect of your relationship with her as a client.

Sometimes the worst situations end up being the best situations if you can use it to your benefit.

Sometimes the best situations started off on the wrong foot.

I once enrolled a client that parked outside my daycare and called me inside and TOLD me she was coming in. No asking about an interview or if I was busy/available...just TOLD me she was on her way in to check out my program. Needless to say I was a little bit taken back but it turns out she was from another country and didnt' understand how daycare works in the U.S.

She ended up being one of my best clients ever. I did use the opportunity to set boundaries and explain my expectations so like I said, not all bad situations are bad from start to finish.

It's only what YOU make out them.

If you truly need the clients, call the mom back and tell her you rethought the whole thing and decided to give her another chance.

If she shows up and enrolls, she might just be the most respectful and best client you have BECAUSE of what just happened. kwim?
Thriftylady 03:18 PM 10-08-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Hey, don't beat yourself up about it.

I think you are half right and half wrong.

I do NOT like being no showed...especially after you already rearranged your schedule for the first issue she had but if you truly need paying clients, there is nothing wrong with interviewing anyways despite the no show and using that situation to REALLY drive home the communication aspect of your relationship with her as a client.

Sometimes the worst situations end up being the best situations if you can use it to your benefit.

Sometimes the best situations started off on the wrong foot.

I once enrolled a client that parked outside my daycare and called me inside and TOLD me she was coming in. No asking about an interview or if I was busy/available...just TOLD me she was on her way in to check out my program. Needless to say I was a little bit taken back but it turns out she was from another country and didnt' understand how daycare works in the U.S.

She ended up being one of my best clients ever. I did use the opportunity to set boundaries and explain my expectations so like I said, not all bad situations are bad from start to finish.

It's only what YOU make out them.

If you truly need the clients, call the mom back and tell her you rethought the whole thing and decided to give her another chance.

If she shows up and enrolls, she might just be the most respectful and best client you have BECAUSE of what just happened. kwim?
Based on you saying this, I texted her and told her I have time at Noon on Monday if she no calls then I can't reschedule.

She then said "I'm good thank you".
littletots 03:43 PM 10-08-2015
I have same policy. You'll find a match. Don't need flakes
midaycare 05:52 PM 10-08-2015
I'm strict with the same policy. I have made an exception for a good excuse.
Blackcat31 06:26 PM 10-08-2015
Based on you saying this, I texted her and told her I have time at Noon on Monday if she no calls then I can't reschedule.

She then said "I'm good thank you".
Oh well, her loss.
It was worth a shot.

I have lines drawn in the sand myself but still try to be objective.

Like I said, sometimes what seems like a negative situation is really just opportunity. But if it doesnt pan out, oh well.

You tried.. Nothing wrong with that.
Thriftylady 07:34 AM 10-09-2015
Oh well, her loss.
It was worth a shot.

I have lines drawn in the sand myself but still try to be objective.

Like I said, sometimes what seems like a negative situation is really just opportunity. But if it doesnt pan out, oh well.

You tried.. Nothing wrong with that.
The only reason I have that "rule" is based on when I first reopened again I had several parents no call no show and then want to reschedule and do it again. I have found if they are serious they keep the first appointment and if they change it, it is iffy if they show up to the second one.
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 10-09-2015
The only reason I have that "rule" is based on when I first reopened again I had several parents no call no show and then want to reschedule and do it again. I have found if they are serious they keep the first appointment and if they change it, it is iffy if they show up to the second one.
Yes, sometimes we make rules or policies based on past experiences but sometimes when it really is the difference between electricity or food, you have to bend a little.

It's okay to extend an olive branch and give someone another shot/chance.

It's not okay to continuously allow them to take advantage or walk on you.

It's that space in between those two situations that you have to find your footing.
Thriftylady 08:01 AM 10-09-2015
Yes, sometimes we make rules or policies based on past experiences but sometimes when it really is the difference between electricity or food, you have to bend a little.

It's okay to extend an olive branch and give someone another shot/chance.

It's not okay to continuously allow them to take advantage or walk on you.

It's that space in between those two situations that you have to find your footing.
I will admit I have a hard time with that space between. I have spent so much of my life letting people walk on me. It is hard sometimes to find the middle.
Crazy8 08:27 AM 10-09-2015
I know its a moot point now, but I would not have offered the reschedule after all that back and forth you already dealt with. There was no reason for her not to at least text that she wasn't going to show up.
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 10-09-2015
I will admit I have a hard time with that space between. I have spent so much of my life letting people walk on me. It is hard sometimes to find the middle.
Its definitely hard. But with a little practice, you really can find a spot in the middle you are comfortable with. It might take time but you can do it!

Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I know its a moot point now, but I would not have offered the reschedule after all that back and forth you already dealt with. There was no reason for her not to at least text that she wasn't going to show up.
Sometimes the difference between being able to afford to eat or not makes the choice to deal with that much back and forth a little different.
Thriftylady 08:55 AM 10-09-2015
Its definitely hard. But with a little practice, you really can find a spot in the middle you are comfortable with. It might take time but you can do it!

Sometimes the difference between being able to afford to eat or not makes the choice to deal with that much back and forth a little different.
This is true, but I will say she asked me a million questions via text before I even set up an interview. Such as do I interact with the kids and teach them numbers and such she has a 2 year old and a 3 month old. Don't know what she wants me to teach a three month old lol. It is so hard to judge people sometimes. I try to weed out crazy but don't yet completely trust my judgement either way.
littletots 10:24 AM 10-09-2015
Maybe she was texting a couple of other providers at same time asking & comparing answers. When dcp ask questions via text I feel they are juggling who to interview w 1st. You'll find someone soon. It always works that way...
Reply Up