Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Late Arrival
Unregistered 05:40 AM 12-20-2010
Does it annoy anyone else when parents are late (like 30 min-an hour!) and don't even call?!
gbcc 05:44 AM 12-20-2010
Yes, especially if they are the first to arrive and I have to get up just for them. I have a late arrival fee with no call in my contract. They need to pay $10 for each half hour they are late with no phone call. I don't appreciate getting up at 6 when 7 could have done!
Unregistered 06:02 AM 12-20-2010
Today is pay day, this is my ONLY kid coming today, she's supposed to be here 7:30-7:45, and it's now 8:40, no call no show...I need the money! This is my JOB and I'm getting stiffed on payday, during CHRISTMAS WEEK when money is needed more than ever

Man am I heated right now....

I tried calling twice, no answer....I swear this is getting out of hand, people treat you like they're doing you a favor by bringing their kid to you....this is a business, not a charity, and payment is due whether you feel like showing up or not...

i need coffee...or valium haha
gbcc 06:12 AM 12-20-2010
Oh trust me I know. My best friend owes me $800 for daycare. I can barely afford to feed my family let alone her kids for free. Every time I bring up payment she cries and tells me about this or that due! I don't want to end the friendship but this is getting out of hand. I only charge her $140 for 2 kids!! I charge that for one!
laundrymom 06:17 AM 12-20-2010
I don't mind if they are late. I worry if the weather is bad but I'm up anyway and I enjoy the quiet mornings. But my routine is the same if there are here or not. Wake at 4, eat at 5, laundry sweeper bathroom cleaned. I just figure if they are late its more quiet time for me lol
Unregistered 06:19 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Oh trust me I know. My best friend owes me $800 for daycare. I can barely afford to feed my family let alone her kids for free. Every time I bring up payment she cries and tells me about this or that due! I don't want to end the friendship but this is getting out of hand. I only charge her $140 for 2 kids!! I charge that for one!
Whoa!!! You need to get a handle on that before you get screwed out of $800. If she is your friend, she'll understand. Tell her that she needs to, at the VERY least, start paying each and every week. If it's a friend and you don't want to take her to court or end the friendship, I would tell her she needs to add $50/week until she's caught up.

NO pay, no play.

Jen (sorry, I wasn't logged in I guess)
SunflowerMama 07:08 AM 12-20-2010
My guys were all like that today. I think it will be like that all week...a lot of the parents have days off/shorts days, etc. I actually don't mind it. It's almost 10am and it feels like our day is just getting started since one of my dck just arrived. I'm still waiting on one that usually comes at 7a (but mom is a teacher and they are off for the next two weeks). It always makes the day fly when they come a little late.
tymaboy 07:22 AM 12-20-2010
Yep. If they are an hour late with no call then I will not take them for the day & charge them my no show fee.
momma2girls 07:41 AM 12-20-2010
I added in my contract, if you are an hr. late, I take it you are not coming for the day, and I will go on with my planned day. This is taking walks, etc. if I am not here, when you arrive, you will know I am gone.
dEHmom 08:03 AM 12-20-2010
hmmm I like that 10 for each 1/2 hour late. I could've made an extra 50 bucks the other day.

One of my girls supposed to be here at 6am, dad drops her off between 7 and 830am. grrr. i like my sleep. it's much better when the mom drops her off, then she's here by 630. last night i didn't sleep AT ALL. no idea what was up, but i maybe had 20 minutes sleep throughout the night. So I'm tired today.

Did my handprint ornaments with the kids, they are drying now. Hopefully it's a quiet day, then I have school tonight, ugh.

But yes I agree to the original post, sometimes people are late and it's out of their hands. But at least call. And paydays should be the friday then. Leave her a message that if payment is not being left when the kids are being dropped off, not to bother bringing them, plus add the late charges.

GBCC- Understandable that it is your friends kids, but how the heck did she rack it up to 800?
You need to tell her, you are not watching her kids anymore. You've already lost out on ALOT of income filling 2 spaces for the price of one. Shes almost up to 1000 dollars, once it hits that number, she's never going to catch up. I would say no more until it's paid up, sorry, just can't do it. If you can't pay your daycare, you're not going to be able to pay any bills. That's not fair to you. Before she starts crying, you cry and say you can't pay your bills because you've lost so much income blah blah blah.
E Daycare 08:05 AM 12-20-2010
This happens to me on a daily basis with the one kid I watch. The mom said 7am will be the norm and never EVER do they show up at that time. I called and texted at 10:30am friday to say "so, no dck today?" and the mom showed up a little after 11 but never called me back to answer my question. I dont mind at all if I get a call ahead of time. My son is usually up by 7:30 but if I can sleep in till when he gets up then I prefer that then having to be up and showered by 7 and they dont arrive till 11. I also could get my running around done if they dont come till that late. They drop the kid off whenever, shes all sorts of screwy on a schedule she doesnt have and the parents keep her here till the last possible second.

Id rather her come at 6am and leave early at like 2 or 3 then come at 11 and stay till 6. They dont understand that Ive been up since 6:45am waiting on them cause they always say "she'll be here normal time tomorrow" and by the time they get her at night Ive already been up a nice 12hrs.

What I dont understand is, dont people have normal schedules? When I worked we made sure my son was dropped off and picked up at the same time every single day. Hes been on the same schedule since he was 6 weeks. Dont other people feel the need to keep some kind of schedule in their lives or is it just me??
momofboys 08:13 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by Erin's Daycare:
This happens to me on a daily basis with the one kid I watch. The mom said 7am will be the norm and never EVER do they show up at that time. I called and texted at 10:30am friday to say "so, no dck today?" and the mom showed up a little after 11 but never called me back to answer my question. I dont mind at all if I get a call ahead of time. My son is usually up by 7:30 but if I can sleep in till when he gets up then I prefer that then having to be up and showered by 7 and they dont arrive till 11. I also could get my running around done if they dont come till that late. They drop the kid off whenever, shes all sorts of screwy on a schedule she doesnt have and the parents keep her here till the last possible second.

Id rather her come at 6am and leave early at like 2 or 3 then come at 11 and stay till 6. They dont understand that Ive been up since 6:45am waiting on them cause they always say "she'll be here normal time tomorrow" and by the time they get her at night Ive already been up a nice 12hrs.

What I dont understand is, dont people have normal schedules? When I worked we made sure my son was dropped off and picked up at the same time every single day. Hes been on the same schedule since he was 6 weeks. Dont other people feel the need to keep some kind of schedule in their lives or is it just me??

I don't think there is anything wrong with explaining your sitaution/side of it with the parent. I only care for one family and 2 days a week their drop-off time was supposed to be 6:30, they normally are here close to that time but 2-3 different times they did not drop off til 8:15/8:30 or so!!! My own kids don't get up til 7:00-7:30 so I had got up at 6:00 for nothing! After a few times I very politely told the mom that if she knew ahead of time they would be late (she did not need to be at class or something those days) to please tell me ahead of time b/c I get up just for them; otherwise I would sleep til 7:00. I specifically told them my own kids don't get up that early so I truly woke up 7 got ready early for them. She was very apologetic about it! And she sincerely seemed to feel bad about it. They have been better about notifying me in advance. I think sometimes the families don't realize how inconvenienced we are by their lack of a consistent drop-off time. And they won't know unless you tell them so!
E Daycare 08:20 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I don't think there is anything wrong with explaining your sitaution/side of it with the parent.

Ive told them over and over again that "I have to get up for your child at 6:45 if youre going to be here around 7 if not then I sleep till my son gets up" and there are times where the door is still locked 'cause Im in the shower or still sleeping and they are here too early or late. I come down still with a towel in my hair or my robe on and they arent phased. I told my husband if they show up and Im in the shower and ring the bell just let them sit in the car and Ill handle it because this is getting to be ridiculous.
momma2girls 10:06 AM 12-20-2010

Explain to her, you need for her to write down on your contract her hrs. she needs daily. If she isn't there, in 1/2-1 hr. after scheduled time, go about with yolur day- whether you leave and do things, take a walk, etc.. Tell her if she isn't here at 7:00, you are not going to be getting up early for her any longer.
momma2girls 10:08 AM 12-20-2010
Ive told them over and over again that "I have to get up for your child at 6:45 if youre going to be here around 7 if not then I sleep till my son gets up" and there are times where the door is still locked 'cause Im in the shower or still sleeping and they are here too early or late. I come down still with a towel in my hair or my robe on and they arent phased. I told my husband if they show up and Im in the shower and ring the bell just let them sit in the car and Ill handle it because this is getting to be ridiculous.
This is so correct. I often worry about this as well. One time I did a fillin for a family, drop off was supposed to 7:30 ish! They came at 7:00, I was in the shower. They did apologize, I bet that won't happen again- lol!!
gbcc 10:59 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
GBCC- Understandable that it is your friends kids, but how the heck did she rack it up to 800?
You need to tell her, you are not watching her kids anymore. You've already lost out on ALOT of income filling 2 spaces for the price of one. Shes almost up to 1000 dollars, once it hits that number, she's never going to catch up. I would say no more until it's paid up, sorry, just can't do it. If you can't pay your daycare, you're not going to be able to pay any bills. That's not fair to you. Before she starts crying, you cry and say you can't pay your bills because you've lost so much income blah blah blah.
Basically it got racked up because she didn't pay for 7 weeks. She finally started to pay but only the $100 instead of $140. I put my foot down last week because she is working full time. Her husband gets unemployment plus works full time and I'm a single mom making it on 5 kids. If I can do it, they sure can with 2 and a half incomes. I told her I need at least the $140 per week and I can wait for taxes to get the rest. It's so hard when friendships are involved. Plus the child is my sons best friend and I don't want to hurt them either. Ugh!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the post!!
laundrymom 11:07 AM 12-20-2010
Her husband gets unemployment plus works full time

lucy,.. splain this please,....??
gbcc 11:16 AM 12-20-2010
Oh I know....
marniewon 03:53 PM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Her husband gets unemployment plus works full time

lucy,.. splain this please,....??
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Oh I know....
That's kind of cheating, isn't it?
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:39 PM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Does it annoy anyone else when parents are late (like 30 min-an hour!) and don't even call?!
Yes, it annoys me, too! It doesn't matter even if they're the last ones to be dropped off, it's still annoying because if they're supposed to be here by a certain time, then it's common curtesy to BE here by that time. Same thing on late picking up, even if they're the first picked up... we have a schedule to follow and when parents don't show up when they're supposed to, and then pick up later than usual, the schedule is interrupted. Once in a while when it's something that came up and couldn't be avoided, then I understand, but a constant pattern, never knowing if they'll actually show up at the time they're supposed to, if they'll come at all, and what time they'll leave that day... you can't do that in the schools, so why at daycare or preschool?
laundrymom 05:55 PM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
That's kind of cheating, isn't it?
Not kind of..... That IS cheating
marniewon 05:59 PM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Yes, it annoys me, too! It doesn't matter even if they're the last ones to be dropped off, it's still annoying because if they're supposed to be here by a certain time, then it's common curtesy to BE here by that time. Same thing on late picking up, even if they're the first picked up... we have a schedule to follow and when parents don't show up when they're supposed to, and then pick up later than usual, the schedule is interrupted. Once in a while when it's something that came up and couldn't be avoided, then I understand, but a constant pattern, never knowing if they'll actually show up at the time they're supposed to, if they'll come at all, and what time they'll leave that day... you can't do that in the schools, so why at daycare or preschool?
I have one family who insisted they needed to re-contract their hours to an earlier time, and still come anywhere between 8 and 8:45 (but usually closer to 8:30). Why did you insist on 8am if you knew it would only be once in a blue moon that you were going to be here that early?

Forgot to add the part WHY it drives me crazy: I have a dog, he lives in his crate, in the entryway where dck's come in and leave. My dog is okay with the kids if he's out of his crate but barks and growls if any kid comes near his crate while he's in there. It's COLD here, and I hate leaving him out for long, but on the off chance they may be here at 8am, I let him outside just before that and sometimes he's out for 45 minutes!! So not fair to my pup when it's that cold out, but I don't trust the parents to make sure little jr doesn't provoke my dog - even though they've both been told that my pup is very territorial when it comes to his crate and they need to keep the kids from running up to him. It's just easier to make sure pup is outside, but I don't like him being out so long.
QualiTcare 11:45 PM 12-20-2010
I think if you only charge by the day or hour, it's flat out RUDE not to call if you're not coming or going to be late.

If you charge whether the child is there or not, I can see (from a parent's perspective) not thinking it's a big deal. Personally, when my children went to a CENTER that was open and had children regardless - I called (MOST of the time - I admit, not always) if they wouldn't be there. However, I'm biased bc I've worked in daycares and schools and I realize it's nice to know - ESPECIALLY in daycare because it effects whether or not you can send a staff member home (to save labor costs) or how much food to make if they may or may not be there in time for breakfast/lunch. I DO realize there is also a difference between center care vs. home based care - parents do not. They see that they pay you whether they show up at 6am or 10am - period.

Assuming you don't have a staff and have a relatively small number of children, I don't see why you wouldn't just call or text the parent to see what's up. I personally would be worried, and in the past, parents were just running late and would just answer and say so - and you can hear it in their voice assuming they're actually working.
marniewon 05:08 AM 12-21-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
I think if you only charge by the day or hour, it's flat out RUDE not to call if you're not coming or going to be late.

If you charge whether the child is there or not, I can see (from a parent's perspective) not thinking it's a big deal. Personally, when my children went to a CENTER that was open and had children regardless - I called (MOST of the time - I admit, not always) if they wouldn't be there. However, I'm biased bc I've worked in daycares and schools and I realize it's nice to know - ESPECIALLY in daycare because it effects whether or not you can send a staff member home (to save labor costs) or how much food to make if they may or may not be there in time for breakfast/lunch. I DO realize there is also a difference between center care vs. home based care - parents do not. They see that they pay you whether they show up at 6am or 10am - period.

Assuming you don't have a staff and have a relatively small number of children, I don't see why you wouldn't just call or text the parent to see what's up. I personally would be worried, and in the past, parents were just running late and would just answer and say so - and you can hear it in their voice assuming they're actually working.
My parents have no excuse for not calling if they are not going to be here or going to be late - it's in the contract, in the handbook, there's a fee attached to it, and I verbally tell them about that rule. They know they need to call. It's stressed four different ways.
Tags:late arrivals
Reply Up