Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Varying Schedule Policies
Preschool/daycare teacher 09:15 PM 10-05-2015
I got an email from my ad on craigslist asking about my rates for a two yr old 1-2 days a week. She also would need me two hours earlier than my normal opening time, but for just 1-2 days a week I figured I could toughen up and roll out of bed that early. I also quoted a $5 higher rate for it since I would be opening early. It would be another varying schedule but she can let me know three weeks at a time. I'm not in a position to be picky right now, but I do want to be smart about this in case things did start picking up and I was able to enroll some full time families. So far that is all I have is part time varying schedules. Most of the time I end up with one child at a time. If only I could get them all on the same days and I could have the other days off!
So what should I reply to her? I plan to let her know I can work with that, but should I let her know any policies on it right up front like that, or wait and see if she actually moves forward with this? I already replied letting her know my rates and that's when she let me know it was a varying schedule.
Also, what kind of policies would you put in place for varying schedules, and how would you word them?
spedmommy4 09:34 PM 10-05-2015
For varying schedules, I require parents to reserve a full time slot if their schedule is going to span the week. (Eg: Mon/Tues this week, Wed/Thursday the next week). If I need to hold a spot for the whole week, the parent needs to pay for the week.

I also require next weeks schedule by Friday of the week before. I need to be able to plan for meals, activities, and staff.
Thriftylady 05:40 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
For varying schedules, I require parents to reserve a full time slot if their schedule is going to span the week. (Eg: Mon/Tues this week, Wed/Thursday the next week). If I need to hold a spot for the whole week, the parent needs to pay for the week.

I also require next weeks schedule by Friday of the week before. I need to be able to plan for meals, activities, and staff.
I also charge for the slot so if they need every day, I charge enough that I can keep that slot open when days change.
mommyneedsadayoff 05:45 AM 10-06-2015
I do a minimum of three days, with the schedule provided the week before. If they only use one or two days, they still pay for the three. If they end up needing more than three, they must ask me one week prior and it will be at my drop in rate, which is higher.
littletots 09:52 AM 10-06-2015
Most often I ask for email so that I may send my contract & policy for them to review a head of interview. I don't want to waste paper, ink, folder if they interview, take hard copy home & decide not to use me. I Google their name, address, email. I want to see if I can find anything about them that would cause me to not want them as a client. Good luck
KSDC 11:07 AM 10-06-2015
Personally, I am at a point that I don't take part-time children. So, much easier with full-time!
But, when I was starting out, I had several part-time children.
One thing that I would recommend is to put in writing that full-time children always get preference for your spots. If you get the chance to fill that spot with a full-time child, then the part-time child will be let go.
Also, require her to give you her schedule in advance.
e.j. 11:44 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:

I do the same. I have a couple of families who have schedules that vary week to week. They pay as though their kids were here full time. I hold the spot open and guarantee it will be there when they need it.
Blackcat31 12:14 PM 10-06-2015
I offer rates based on

5 days of attendance
4 days of attendance
3 "set" days of attendance
3 "varying" days of attendance

The rate for 3 "varying" days of attendance is slightly less than the 5 day rate but much higher than the 3 "set" day rate.

Anything less than 3 days of attendance is considered drop in and is offered at a VERY high rate and on an "availability" basis only...meaning I wont know until a day or two before and it's never guaranteed as a regularly attending family may need the space and they would always have priority.
daycare 12:41 PM 10-06-2015
I will also do a minimum of 3 varying days. YOu are required to give me your schedule every thursday night and must pay friday before 5 pm.

I require payment for all 3 days no matter how what. so even if you only come 2 days I would still require payment for 3.

I would tell dcm that because you are rebuilding your client base that now you have the time to do it. BUT once things pick up, she will need to either pay for set days or find alternate care.

I do this over the summer for kids that want to take the summer off and come back in the fall.
Preschool/daycare teacher 02:34 PM 10-07-2015
Thank you for the suggestions everyone! I decided to just charge a little higher daily rate and they were fine with it They came this afternoon to meet me and see my place, and were here for a very very short amount of time. They asked very few questions, and most of the information they got was what I provided them with. Dcg hasn't been in childcare for quite awhile because the parents were trying to alternate their schedules so that when one parent worked, the other parent was staying home with her, but they were not getting any time off together, which is why they're looking for childcare now. They also said it may go into full time later and asked if I'd be able to do that.
Anyway, very few questions so I went over some of my policies and gave them the forms I needed them to fill out and the mom said, "Well this really looks good! Can she start next week?" Which is odd that she didn't want more information than that (or even references since I'm not licensed and they found me on Craigslist) and they seem to be in a really big hurry to find somewhere quick... despite the fact that she has not been in daycare...
It's not a definite yet, since she and her husband may discuss it further once they get home and decide not to bring her here, but I'm pretty sure I can work with their needs. Dcg is adorable! She also seems to have a really good temperament and not a bit shy lol. She's younger than my others, but I'm excited to have a toddler around again, if they do choose to bring her to me. She's only a month older than my niece who I have occasionally, and I'm sure they would get along really well
Reply Up