Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Had A Parent Ask You...
KristinsHomeCC 08:41 AM 10-29-2015
...to technically babysit their child on a holiday that you are closed?

DCD asked me this morning what would he have to do to get me to babysit/be open for DCB on Veterans day (wednesday nov. 11). He will be out of state and DCM works 10 to 6 that day. They moved here a couple months back and have no family anywhere within a 2 hr drive. I really love the DCPs and DCB is my original kid from the very beginning of being a provider. Right now, their weekly rate and hours break down to me getting paid 3.33 an hour.

I dont want to work for 3.33 an hour on a holiday!! But I dont want to say no. I havent technically said yes but I said to let me know as it gets closer. Is it weird to take that Monday or Friday off instead? So I could get a day off? Nornally that works w holidays like memorial day and such but Veterans day is always on the 11th.

Let me hear yo' thoughts! Maybe what you would do, etc.
daycarediva 08:46 AM 10-29-2015
IF I did it, it would be at babysitting rates of $15/hr.

I doubt I would though. I really value my very few days off, my own kids will be home from school, and I find one child harder to manage than my whole group. Also, if they were aware of your closing in advance, they should have made alternate arrangements.
childcaremom 08:48 AM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I doubt I would though. I really value my very few days off, my own kids will be home from school, and I find one child harder to manage than my whole group. Also, if they were aware of your closing in advance, they should have made alternate arrangements.

I wouldn't do it. I like my days off and nothing goes by slower than a day with only 1 dck.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:49 AM 10-29-2015
I would just say I have plans for that day so I can't. IF you decide you will do it, I would do it a babysitter rate, not a daycare rate, so it will cost them twice as much as usual. But, you can say no too They will survive without you for one day!
Play Care 08:49 AM 10-29-2015
It wouldn't be worth it to me. In fact for a while I had a sign up sheet with a three child minimum for those "minor" holidays (and please don't think I'm bashing Veterans it's just that most people do not get that day off) because I would often either have no one show (cause I forgot it was a holiday) or I'd have one very bored kid.

"Dcd, I love caring for Sally but this is a day off that's in my contract. My others clients would probably not be happy if I was closed for them but open for one family. And they've all planned for this day off so if I changed it they would have to scramble. It's just not fair for anyone, I'm sure you can understand"

Honestly, this is the type of family that should not be using in home day care. What about when you are sick or on vacation? Are they going to ask you to have their child anyway? Why is their lack of planning your issue?
Leigh 08:50 AM 10-29-2015

I would absolutely charge the rate for babysitting if I did it. My last sitter got $12/hr-I'd ask for that at least.
Blackcat31 09:07 AM 10-29-2015
I'd say no. I am not a babysitter.

I plan what FEW days off a year I get to NOT work so no.

No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 10-29-2015
I would happily give her a list of area teen babysitters I know though....

Networking and resourcing info IS something I will do.
Rockgirl 09:15 AM 10-29-2015
I wouldn't do it, either. And what if you did, and another family saw them dropping off/picking up?
Annalee 09:20 AM 10-29-2015
JUST SAY NO! It will get easier the more you say it.
Controlled Chaos 09:27 AM 10-29-2015
I would say no. I would give them babysitters info and advise them to look up care.com.

I agree with pp who said they sound like a family that is not a good fit for family childcare. What do they do when baby is sick?

Since you already said yes- I would charge babysitting rate and go about my normal business- run errands etc
laundrymom 09:28 AM 10-29-2015
I completely understand your situation but I'm unable to care for children that day. I have other obligations. Maybe you work with someone whose teen could bail you out. You know how kids love cold hard cash. Going rate here is 15$ an hour.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:29 AM 10-29-2015
The minute they realize you won't do it and they have to pay $12 + an hour, I bet you mom will take that day off!
KristinsHomeCC 10:17 AM 10-29-2015
Thank you all. I think I may say no. Its very rare I get a day off and actually get to enjoy it. Normally its sick days/kid is sick days/AC broke (last monday ahhh). So, yeah. Mama is a pharmacist so I highly doubt asking an hourly wage would be a problem. Im just not worried about the money. Id rather spend the day with my family. May just give her a babysitter I know phone number.
bklsmum 10:35 AM 10-29-2015
I would say no for me doing it but I have two teenage daughters that babysit and the kids know them and they are usually up to do it but it would have to be at DCK's house and not mine.
Stephnrich 11:43 AM 10-29-2015
I had a family ask me to consider keeping their two kids for the entire weekend while they took a romantic trip to Austin. I declined. Time off is our time. Unless you are really money strapped, I'd say tell them sorry, but nope.
DaveA 12:36 PM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This. I keep the name and numbers of a couple people who babysit for parents who are looking for babysitters.

Otherwise, no. My days off are not negotiable.
christine19720 12:54 PM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This is what I was going to suggest
Nisaryn 02:15 PM 10-29-2015
I would say no and tell them to find a babysitter for that day, I know a lot of teens in our area that would do it. As a veteran and a military spouse I will not work on Veterans day. It's MY day. LOL!
Snowmom 07:50 AM 10-30-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
JUST SAY NO! It will get easier the more you say it.
Totally agree. It's so hard at first, but once you say it a couple times, it feels so awesome that you can't wait to say it again!

Lorna 08:35 AM 10-30-2015
Yeah I was had them ask but just say no. They have also asked if my daughter could babysit at our house. But doing that a few times I just said she could babysit at their house. Ended up being too much work for me.
MarinaVanessa 08:50 AM 10-30-2015
I have had clients ask and I have said yes sometimes but it depended on whether my husband was also working or not and whether I had plans for the day already.

I also charge them my hourly Drop-In rate if I don't mind watching their child. For me it's twice as much as my FT weekly rate broken down hourly. But again, I didn't mind doing it and wanted the little bit of extra money. I charged them $6 an hour (with a minimum of 4 hours) even if they were FT clients and had already paid for the week which included the paid closed holiday. The FT clients never took me up on it because they felt like I was charging them twice for the same day (which I was but that was the only way that I was willing to watch kids on my holiday off) and a couple of my PT clients have taken me up on it so I ended up making about $33 extra that day.

I also explain to them that this is not a typical daycare day and that the majority of the day will be free-play and relaxed. I will get my housework done and do any regular errands that I need to and the daycare kid will just be a part of that. None have had issues with this part. My kids had a playmate for the day and I still got to catch up on projects and housework.

When I didn't want to watch kids on a holiday I just said that I couldn't and that I already had plans with my family.

It all depends on whether you want to or not. If you don't want to, say no. If you kind of want to but only if you can make a nice chunk of change, ask for a steep hourly rate. If you want to and really don't mind, ask for an hourly rate but make it more than your regular rate.
littletots 10:23 AM 10-30-2015
Once had a "Boss" dcp. 90% of favors. Uncomfortable being put on the spot. Yes, I've been asked to even work Christmas. Later found out dcm volunteer to work extra shift & got off 7a Christmas day. I open for her child as she slept until 2:30p. Not any more.
KidGrind 03:56 PM 10-30-2015

Reply Up