Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Canada - New Ratios for Ontario Providers
Jupadia 03:24 PM 04-12-2019
So the new changes have passed, for the few of us here from Ontario, Canada.

For unlicensed providers we can now have 3 under 2 with total of 5 kids. As well we can stop counting our own once they are 4 years and enrolled in school full time.
There are other changes as well for licensed providers, but I dont think any of you are. (Basically same thing)

Changes in effect July 1, 2019

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/S19004#BK5

SCHEDULE 3*
MINISTRY OF EDUCATIONChild Care and Early Years Act, 2014

1 Paragraph 3 of subsection 4 (1) of the*Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014*is repealed and the following substituted:

homes

3. The care or supervision is provided at a child’s own home and,

i. is not provided for any other children who do not reside at that home, or

ii. does not meet the description of in-home services set out in paragraph 3 of subsection 6 (3).

2 (1) Sub-subparagraph 1 iv A of subsection 6 (3) of the Act is amended by striking out “two children” and substituting “three children”.

(2) Sub-subparagraph 1 iv B of subsection 6 (3) of the Act is amended by striking out “four children” and substituting “six children”.

(3) Subparagraph 2 iii of subsection 6 (3) of the Act is amended by striking out “two children” and substituting “three children”.

(4) Subparagraph 3 iv of subsection 6 (3) of the Act is repealed.

(5) Subparagraphs 4 i and ii of subsection 6 (4) and paragraph 1 of subsection 6 (5) of the Act are amended by striking out “six” wherever it appears and substituting in each case “four”.

(6) Paragraph 2 of subsection 6 (5) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:

2. If the child care is provided on or after September 1 in a calendar year, a child who will attain the age of four in that year shall not be counted on any day.

3 Paragraph 2 of section 7 of the Act is repealed.

Education Act

4 Paragraph 2 of subsection 259 (2) of the*Education Act*is repealed.

5 Paragraph 1 of subsection 259.1 (2) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:

1. The program must be a child care centre licensed under the*Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014*or another program prescribed by the regulations made under this Part.

CommencementCommencement

6 This Schedule comes into force on the later of July 1, 2019 and the day the*Restoring Ontario’s Competitiveness Act, 2019*receives Royal Assent.
Mike 05:14 PM 04-12-2019
If I do go into day care, that will make it easier. Used to be 2 under 2, and as others say, with pre-school being so popular now, over 2 is getting less common. A lot of areas have waiting lists for under 2. This change will be good for them too if they aren't full with older kids.
Jupadia 08:09 PM 04-12-2019
Spaces will be easier to fill decently for us. Between most family's choosing to take 12 months to 18 months for maternity leave kids daily start before 1 year. Only being allowed 2 under 2 has made it so I turn down family's though I have a space available for over 2.

Then full day jr kindergarden takes them the year they turn four, so as young as 3. It's made it hard to fill spaces for the over 2 crowd.

I
Ariana 10:48 AM 04-13-2019
I was so happy this passed!!

Going to be a lot of competition since everyone’s spaces open at the same time. I already see people advertising for it! And my regular infant spot opens in July anyway so I will need to fill 2 infant spots . I might just wait until the fall.

My youngest just turned 6 so that rule doesn’t affect me anymore.
Jupadia 12:09 PM 04-13-2019
My oldest just turned 6, but my youngest starts school this year and will be 4 just after Christmas, so I can advertise for that spot for January.

Right now in full, but have 2 spaces opening in September cause kids leaving to start school. I only have 1 under 2 right now, so it will help fill both spots.
Mom2Two 12:00 PM 04-15-2019
I wish our state had the rule of 3 under 2 with licensing, even if it was just 3 total like some other states here have.

I think that unlicensed we can have 4 kids total in attendance with no one asking questions about ages. But I haven't reviewed that rule for a while.
Ariana 12:26 PM 04-15-2019
Here even if licensed the max you can have is 6! No incentive to be licensed or get your ECE.
Tags:canada - requirements
Reply Up