Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking Infants Outside in Summer Months
Lilbutterflie 12:58 PM 05-28-2010
Hi Everyone!
Just got a call from a mom, I'm going to be taking care of her infant son next week only, and then on a permanent basis in August. Her son is 2 months 2 weeks old. She says her doctor told her not to take her son outside in the shade for more than 10-15 minutes at a time. It's been in the low 90's here in Texas. Well, I watch 5 young children including my own, and they need to play outside!! Usually we are not out for more than an hour because of the heat, and we play outside twice a day. How can I make my older kids suffer b/c of one baby? Does anyone else think this doctor is a little extreme? He has no health conditions, Dr. thinks no infant should be outside for any longer than 15 minutes when it's hot.

MarinaVanessa 01:02 PM 05-28-2010
Well that's his professional opinion and the baby is young but I agree that it isn't fair for the other kids. All kids should have outside time everyday to excercise and such. The issue lies whether or not you're willing to pass this client off so that the rest of the kids don't suffer.

In my DC outside play is a requirement on a daily basis. If this doesn't sit well with a parent due to any reason (age, allergies, medical condition etc) then this DC is not the place for you. I have each parent sign a waiver agreeing to allow their child to participate in ALL activites that I have scheduled.
booroo 01:44 PM 05-28-2010
Wow really!! I don't know why any dr would sat that!! My kids go outside regardless of age, unless the weather is bad!!

I even put sun screen on all of my own children under the age of 1!! But that's me....

Good luck
Michael 01:50 PM 05-28-2010
We have a reference chart that you can use to consider outside play temperatures. https://daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
QualiTcare 08:42 PM 05-28-2010
that's crazy. i'm outside MOST of the day so i'd have to tell that mom to find someone else.

the youngest i have is 1 year and i got a tiny little pool just for him, and i keep him on the carport in the shade while the other kids are in the sun. i always make it clear to parents that i'm outside a LOT so it won't be an issue later. we pretty much go in to eat, sleep, or if it's raining. my parents love it. there's no way i'd change it for one kid.
Former Teacher 04:24 AM 05-29-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Well that's his professional opinion and the baby is young but I agree that it isn't fair for the other kids. All kids should have outside time everyday to excercise and such. The issue lies whether or not you're willing to pass this client off so that the rest of the kids don't suffer.

In my DC outside play is a requirement on a daily basis. If this doesn't sit well with a parent due to any reason (age, allergies, medical condition etc) then this DC is not the place for you. I have each parent sign a waiver agreeing to allow their child to participate in ALL activites that I have scheduled.
I agree with MarinaVanessa. In TX it is REQUIRED for children of ALL ages to be outside regardless. That was one of my many beefs about TX licensing because I was required to take my children in 90 degrees plus. State didn't care if kids got heat stroke just as long as they got their outside time!

Anyway I also believe that it is not fair to stay inside just for ONE child. I'd tell her that even though she has a doctor's note etc...you can not and will not keep the other children inside. She wouldn't like it if the roles were reversed.
momma2girls 04:28 AM 05-29-2010
I would find good shade for the baby.
Pammie 08:34 AM 05-29-2010
Is the issue a sunburn risk??

I've had little ones that have had severe sunburn while in the shade of trees. (Not with me, but with their parents). And children that young aren't supposed to use sunscreen. But in the shade of some source other than trees - umbrella, stroller, patio awning, etc. I've never had an infant have a problem with the heat/sun in those instances - as long as they're dressed appropriately, hydrated and I do check them constantly!!

Maybe if this mom can clarify with her doctor exactly what his concern is, then you can work around it.
Chickenhauler 01:05 AM 05-30-2010
Here's a thought.....how did humans survive to adulthood before AC was invented?

Really, stop and think about that one....were human beings dropping like flies every time the mercury tipped past 75 before AC came along?

Here's my solution...shade, liquids, limit exertion during hot periods, and LIVE LIKE HUMANS HAVE FOR MILLENIA!
PositvityRuLes 12:31 PM 05-30-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
We have a reference chart that you can use to consider outside play temperatures. https://daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
Thank you!
PositvityRuLes 12:33 PM 05-30-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
Here's a thought.....how did humans survive to adulthood before AC was invented?

Really, stop and think about that one....were human beings dropping like flies every time the mercury tipped past 75 before AC came along?

Here's my solution...shade, liquids, limit exertion during hot periods, and LIVE LIKE HUMANS HAVE FOR MILLENIA!
My husband tell's me this everytime I reach to turn the air condition on
MarinaVanessa 04:07 PM 05-30-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
Exactly. Sometimes parents are way too overprotective. Slap on some sunscreen and use common sense. Keep the younger ones in the shade and keep them all hydrated.
sahm2three 12:41 PM 06-01-2010
That young of a child will sleep quite a bit. Couldn't you take a baby monitor out with you and have the baby sleep?
Tags:outside play, temperature
Reply Up