Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rock Bottom
professionalmom 09:56 AM 06-25-2010
My husband and I are very responsible, educated, hard-working people. We did not over-extend ourselves. We are not frivolous. Yet, due to the economy here in MI, and a run of VERY bad luck, we are facing very hard decisions. Here are the basics:

I have 2 families. My weekenders will only be here this weekend and the next 3 weekends. They are moving out of state. I want to beg them to stay (awesome kids and even better parents!), but how can I? The other family is only PT, 1-2 hrs per night 4-5 nights a week. So, my income is going to be down to a whopping $30 per week within the next month. I had one client (that I treated like family) turn on me (seriously ticked my hubby off) and I am waiting for her to be served (usually prepay, but this was a DHS/copay issue and DCM didn't report hours to DHS) (approx. $1000 now).

I've been posting on Craigslist too. I got one family ready to start, 2 interviews, signed contract and deposit, then the mom called 11 hrs before the start day/time to say she found someone cheaper and wanted the deposit back. I refused. Then a mom of 4 kids set up interviews twice and no called no showed for both, then called back to say she wanted me and wanted to know when to pick up paperwork. Discussed payment (applying for DHS). Usually prepay until DHS kicks in, but I was willing to give a 50% break contingent upon the agreement that if DHS denies, she owes the other 50%. So she would have been getting care for FT for 4 kids for $211 per week! She no called no showed and never picked up the paperwork. That's the only hits I have gotten.

Bad situation right now. Talking to mortgage company. Trying to figure out which bills to pay because they can not all get paid this month. Afraid we could lose the house. Yadda. Yadda. Yadda. This economy is hitting my daycare very bad. I am going as low as I can go without it actually costing me more money to run the daycare than what I make. If I go any lower, I will be losing money. But I can't compete with the $65 per week babysitters.

I'm sorry for the pathetic post and that it's so long. I just don't know what else to do to bring in clients. I'm scared. I only got 2 hours of sleep last night. My DD will be 2 next month (can't even afford a cake mix). We have 2 rolls of TP, 1/2 gal of milk, no fresh produce, getting low of meat. Etc. I shop at discount places. I use homemade cleaning products that cost almost nothing. Pregnant with twins. Approved for WIC and have appointment in a couple weeks to submit proof of income. Applying for DHS which I expect we'll get denied for.

Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated. I have been working on getting my backbone, but I think it's falling out. I feel like I have to take the crappy clients (if I can even find them right now) and take risks of not getting copays, fees, etc just to try to keep a roof over our heads.

We are even looking at me working outside the home PT, but that would not help (husband works FT, in school FT, DD would have to go into childcare, which would eat the entire pay). Now we are free falling and about to hit rock bottom. Have any of you had rough times like this?

I LOVE what I do. But the parents who don't want to pay and the lack of responses is very disheartening. And my ad and website are really, really impressive. Much more than 95% of the people in my area. The only ones with better ads and websites are the centers.
momofboys 10:13 AM 06-25-2010
Oh hon, I am so sorry! The economy does stink! I'm sending you lots of good wishes for some new wonderful clients. Have you ever looked into Angel Food or Great Food for All? Google them & see if a local church distributes them. You pay about $30/month for a box of food that feeds a family of 4 for a week. It's a way we help stretch our dollars. You don't have to do it every month so you could try it to see if you like it. There are NO income requirements so anyone can do it.

Here's a question about your ad, do you think it's "too good"? In other words does it look like your care might be too pricey? Do you put your rates out there for others to see that you are reasonable?

P.S. If you PM me your address or hubby's work I'd be happy to send you a cake mix.
jen 10:17 AM 06-25-2010
I'm sorry...the whole thing sucks.

Have you tried to refinance the house? One of my daycare parents...who was WAY WAY behind on mortage payments, to the point of having a sherrifs sale scheduled, was able to refi at 3% interest under the stimulus package.

You simply can't go without food, so you may need to swallow your pride and get some help from the food shelter. Another dcp is doing that in exchange for volunteering there a certain number of hours per week.

I can't remember if this was you or not, but did you have multiple credit cards that were maxed? If so, you may want to find a NON-PROFIT agency that can consolidate those in to one, much lower monthly payment.

As for daycare, have you thought of working in one? Hopefully one you can bring your child to for a reduced rate? That way you would have some guaranteed income each month without the huge daycare expense.

I know that the unemployment rate there is sky-high so I am assuming that you or hubby have already tried the 2nd job route unsuccessfully.

Good luck. I wish I had more advice to offer you.
momofboys 10:18 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
My husband and I are very responsible, educated, hard-working people. We did not over-extend ourselves. We are not frivolous. Yet, due to the economy here in MI, and a run of VERY bad luck, we are facing very hard decisions. Here are the basics:

I have 2 families. My weekenders will only be here this weekend and the next 3 weekends. They are moving out of state. I want to beg them to stay (awesome kids and even better parents!), but how can I? The other family is only PT, 1-2 hrs per night 4-5 nights a week. So, my income is going to be down to a whopping $30 per week within the next month. I had one client (that I treated like family) turn on me (seriously ticked my hubby off) and I am waiting for her to be served (usually prepay, but this was a DHS/copay issue and DCM didn't report hours to DHS) (approx. $1000 now).

I've been posting on Craigslist too. I got one family ready to start, 2 interviews, signed contract and deposit, then the mom called 11 hrs before the start day/time to say she found someone cheaper and wanted the deposit back. I refused. Then a mom of 4 kids set up interviews twice and no called no showed for both, then called back to say she wanted me and wanted to know when to pick up paperwork. Discussed payment (applying for DHS). Usually prepay until DHS kicks in, but I was willing to give a 50% break contingent upon the agreement that if DHS denies, she owes the other 50%. So she would have been getting care for FT for 4 kids for $211 per week! She no called no showed and never picked up the paperwork. That's the only hits I have gotten.

Bad situation right now. Talking to mortgage company. Trying to figure out which bills to pay because they can not all get paid this month. Afraid we could lose the house. Yadda. Yadda. Yadda. This economy is hitting my daycare very bad. I am going as low as I can go without it actually costing me more money to run the daycare than what I make. If I go any lower, I will be losing money. But I can't compete with the $65 per week babysitters.

I'm sorry for the pathetic post and that it's so long. I just don't know what else to do to bring in clients. I'm scared. I only got 2 hours of sleep last night. My DD will be 2 next month (can't even afford a cake mix). We have 2 rolls of TP, 1/2 gal of milk, no fresh produce, getting low of meat. Etc. I shop at discount places. I use homemade cleaning products that cost almost nothing. Pregnant with twins. Approved for WIC and have appointment in a couple weeks to submit proof of income. Applying for DHS which I expect we'll get denied for.

Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated. I have been working on getting my backbone, but I think it's falling out. I feel like I have to take the crappy clients (if I can even find them right now) and take risks of not getting copays, fees, etc just to try to keep a roof over our heads.

We are even looking at me working outside the home PT, but that would not help (husband works FT, in school FT, DD would have to go into childcare, which would eat the entire pay). Now we are free falling and about to hit rock bottom. Have any of you had rough times like this?

I LOVE what I do. But the parents who don't want to pay and the lack of responses is very disheartening. And my ad and website are really, really impressive. Much more than 95% of the people in my area. The only ones with better ads and websites are the centers.
And I forgot to add that yes, we have had rough times like that. About a two years ago I decided to quit my PT job to stay home. We lived paycheck to paycheck & then we had a TON of things happen (two cars broke down, hot water heater broke, a tree of ours fell on a neighbor's implement building, plumbing issues, medical bills, etc). It was like we were dipping into our "emergency fund" every week & soon the emergency fund was no more! IT was at that time that I knew something had to give. I sold a bunch of books (avid reader here!) on Amazon & made okay $$$ but not enough to help much. It was then that I started thinking about daycare because my husband would get paid & 2 days after we got his paycheck the $$ was gone. I'm sure many people on here can relate but I hope you can work things out & drum up some new business. Sending prayers up for you now!
Crystal 10:18 AM 06-25-2010
Oh wow, I am so sorry to hear that your family is having such a difficult time. I hope that this turns around for you quickly.

Have you tried advertising in other ways besides craigslist? Is there a Moms club in your community? I know that here there is a Mom's of Multples club, and most parents have a hard time finding care for twins/triplets, especilly if they are infants.....maybe you could look on-line to see if there's one in your area....then create a flyer and take it to their next meeting, or contact the head af the group and ask them to let their members know.

I'll try to come up with more ideas.....I will keep your family in my thoughts, best wishes to you all
booroo 10:19 AM 06-25-2010
Oh if you only knew how bad it got for my dh and I... But through alot of prayer, trust, and faith in GOD; we are now headed in the right direction, not that we hit speed bumps now and then...

You said you went to law school; did you pass you bar???
A little. Hone business for people that need legal advice could be in the making... Even if you didn't pass you still give advice as to what attorneys are good at, research the people cases and see if an attorney would take it on, fir a fraction of attorneys fees, a website could be set up as well...

Also have you looked into the party businesses?? I have one on the side and make some pretty good income, plus there are others.

I'm sorry that you are struggling right now.. Just believe, keep your head up and things will turn around!!
Golden Rule 10:24 AM 06-25-2010
I am so sorry. I would think you would definately qualify for assistance.....
momma2girls 10:36 AM 06-25-2010
WOW!!!! I feel so badly for you!! I went thru a very nasty divorce about 15 yrs. ago, and I had a young child. I really didn't think I was going to be able to go on either single mom and all. I worked 3 jobs, and I kept everything I owned!! It will get better!!
Have you tired something on the side- there are great reputable companies out there!! I just recently started a very hot one around here, and I love it!!! If you Pm me, I can tell you more about it. If anyone would lke to earn lots of money on the side, put away money for that great trip, groc. or ? pm me, and I will tell you more!!! Good luck!!!!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:10 AM 06-25-2010
things that have worked for me,..... dr dentist and hair places. laundrymats grocery stores, childrens resale stores. ??
professionalmom 11:11 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Oh hon, I am so sorry! The economy does stink! I'm sending you lots of good wishes for some new wonderful clients. Have you ever looked into Angel Food or Great Food for All? Google them & see if a local church distributes them. You pay about $30/month for a box of food that feeds a family of 4 for a week. It's a way we help stretch our dollars. You don't have to do it every month so you could try it to see if you like it. There are NO income requirements so anyone can do it.

Here's a question about your ad, do you think it's "too good"? In other words does it look like your care might be too pricey? Do you put your rates out there for others to see that you are reasonable?

P.S. If you PM me your address or hubby's work I'd be happy to send you a cake mix.
After reading your P.S., I think I sobbed uncontrollably for 5 minutes at the generosity. Thank you so much for the offer. Luckily, we do have some family trying to chip in and I'm sure one of the grandmas will provide a cake. It's just so pathetic that we can't have a decent party for her. But, luckily it's only her 2nd birthday. And her first one was great and there's a ton of pictures to prove it. Worst case scenario, I'll make a banana cake (basically banana bread, but in a cake pan). She loves that anyway. Last year, I did the cake all fancy and such. This year it will have to be basic. Thank you so much for the offer! It really warms my heart in a way I can never express with words! That actually means more than a $2 box of cake mix - just knowing that people care.
professionalmom 11:19 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
Have you tried to refinance the house? One of my daycare parents...who was WAY WAY behind on mortage payments, to the point of having a sherrifs sale scheduled, was able to refi at 3% interest under the stimulus package.
We just talked to the company that holds our land contract and the big decision maker is not in today, but they were really sympathetic and sound like they are going to try to work with us. So, hopefully we can save the house, which is an awesome home. It was a rebuilt home - gut down to the frame and rebuilt - basement to roof. Everything was new when we got it 2.5 years ago, so we'd hate to lose it.

I can't remember if this was you or not, but did you have multiple credit cards that were maxed? If so, you may want to find a NON-PROFIT agency that can consolidate those in to one, much lower monthly payment.
No. We have only 1 and it's only been used for emergencies - like when my brakes started going out last week with my DD and me in it!

As for daycare, have you thought of working in one? Hopefully one you can bring your child to for a reduced rate? That way you would have some guaranteed income each month without the huge daycare expense.
I will look into that. Thanks.

I know that the unemployment rate there is sky-high so I am assuming that you or hubby have already tried the 2nd job route unsuccessfully.

Good luck. I wish I had more advice to offer you.
Before my hubby got this job (federal gov), he was unemployed for over 9 months. Now, he has the lowest paying federal job, but risks his life to protect all of us from terrorists. It's disgusting that they are not paid more. He's trying to look for a 2nd job, but he's going to an online school FT on what little time he does have.
QualiTcare 11:36 AM 06-25-2010
i'm sure your daughter will get a ton of stuff from everyone.

working at a daycare is a good idea. if you're pregnant with twins though i dunno how long it would last. but it could help in the meantime. i'm so evil, but if you worked for a chain daycare, you could steal some of their clients when you leave!

awhile back i wasn't working and i sold baby clothes on ebay. or you could have a yard sale? you make more money with ebay, but it's also more work.
Michael 11:39 AM 06-25-2010
PM me your facility information and we will list you for a year free.

Company/Business Name:
User Name:
Street Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone:
Email Address:
Hours of Operation:
Capacity:
Center Based:
Home Based:
License Number:
Age Groups:
Description/Special Services:
jen 11:40 AM 06-25-2010
No. We have only 1 and it's only been used for emergencies - like when my brakes started going out last week with my DD and me in it!

Sorry, I couldn't remember who that was!

Glad to hear that the bank is willing to work with you. I don't know about where you are, but in our community the forclosure rate is really high and the county set up a task force to help people who are having mortgage problems. I have heard that sometimes the bank is more willing to work with them than they are the individual home-owner. Hopefully your bank will work with you from the start, but something to check in to if they aren't as helpful as you need them to be.
professionalmom 12:35 PM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by booroo:
You said you went to law school; did you pass you bar???
A little. Hone business for people that need legal advice could be in the making... Even if you didn't pass you still give advice as to what attorneys are good at, research the people cases and see if an attorney would take it on, fir a fraction of attorneys fees, a website could be set up as well...
I did not finish law school, so no, I did not take the bar. I quit to be a FT mom. I hope to someday go back. I really loved it. Unless you know something I don't know, I can't do what you were suggesting. Giving legal advice without a license to practice law is illegal. I could be a paralegal and assist a little. An example of the difference is, I can answer questions about the different types of bankruptcies and possibly the pros and cons of each, but I can not advice someone what type would be best in that particular person's situation. I hope that makes sense. I can answer questions like what happens at a trial, what's an arraignment, etc. So general questions are fine, case specific are not, basically.

The other problem is that I live an area where there are 2 law schools and a ton of paralegals (just like daycares!). But it would definitely be an option back in my home town, if we end up moving in with my parents out of state.

Originally Posted by booroo:
Also have you looked into the party businesses?? I have one on the side and make some pretty good income, plus there are others.

I'm sorry that you are struggling right now.. Just believe, keep your head up and things will turn around!!
Thanks for the additional ideas. I'm leery of anything that is not a need during these economic times. After all, how many people are having big parties right now? But I will look into it. Planning and organizing is one of my biggest strengths.
jen 12:41 PM 06-25-2010
Hey, since you were low on kiddos this may work for you...

http://www.apply.westathome.com/index.html

more information on the company: http://www.west.com/careers/search/

It is a call center job...the real deal, not something you pay them for or anything like that. You won't make a ton of money, but you will make a couple hundred extra dollars a month.

I know someone who does it, and does OK. Say your client is Royal Caribbean. You have to study the materials and take a test before you can begin taking calls. From my friends experience, the test part was not all that easy.
professionalmom 12:50 PM 06-25-2010
Just a quick note. First, I was not asking for actual help, just advice and positive thoughts and/or prayers to keep my spirits up. Some of you have offered more and I can't thank you enough. I have to stop reading any more posts until late tonight. My weekenders are here now and the wonderfully supportive comments are making it impossible for me to not cry in front of them. And those are the tears of overwhelming gratitude that I never expected would be so abundant. So, I will respond later when they are all gone and DD is in bed. In the meantime, may God Bless each and every one of you forever!!
originalkat 12:54 PM 06-25-2010
I know you already mentioned that your Mortgage company is probably going to work with you...but I just wanted to mention that we also just refinanced our home (from 6.5% fixed to 4.875% Fixed) and it is saving us $140 per month plus we can skip 1 mortgage payment. You might look into that.
Your family will be in our prayers during these tough economic times.
professionalmom 03:53 PM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Oh wow, I am so sorry to hear that your family is having such a difficult time. I hope that this turns around for you quickly.

Have you tried advertising in other ways besides craigslist? Is there a Moms club in your community? I know that here there is a Mom's of Multples club, and most parents have a hard time finding care for twins/triplets, especilly if they are infants.....maybe you could look on-line to see if there's one in your area....then create a flyer and take it to their next meeting, or contact the head af the group and ask them to let their members know.

I'll try to come up with more ideas.....I will keep your family in my thoughts, best wishes to you all
Oh my goodness!! I haven't even had a chance to check out the Mom's of Multiples club yet and I'm pregnant with twins, so maybe I need to get out there to bond with mom's like me and have the added opportunity to network. Thanks for the idea!! The only thing is I can't take on any infants because I can only have 2 under 18 months and in Nov. our twins will max that out. But I can definitely take on older twins.
professionalmom 03:58 PM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
things that have worked for me,..... dr dentist and hair places. laundrymats grocery stores, childrens resale stores. ??
I know this is going to sound really odd, but we tried that a couple months ago and almost everyone either said 1) no or 2) you can post a flier as long as it's nonprofit such as kittens free to good home. Even the libraries and all the grocery stores said that. The only places we could put up a flier were our church, ACO Hardware, and the community college. I am half tempted to go to Wal-Mart and Meijer and put my business cards on people's windshield wipers, but I don't want to get into trouble and I'm not sure if that's allowed here. I'll look into laundry mats and the consignment store.
professionalmom 04:01 PM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i'm sure your daughter will get a ton of stuff from everyone.

working at a daycare is a good idea. if you're pregnant with twins though i dunno how long it would last. but it could help in the meantime. i'm so evil, but if you worked for a chain daycare, you could steal some of their clients when you leave!

awhile back i wasn't working and i sold baby clothes on ebay. or you could have a yard sale? you make more money with ebay, but it's also more work.
I was thinking about stealing clients too. But I wonder if they would refuse to hire me as long as I stay open as a home daycare. I thought maybe I could take on 3rd shift kids or late afternoon/evening kids to supplement and keep the home daycare going until I build it back up. But would the center be afraid that they would have a competitor working for them and knowing their secrets and trying to steal clients?

I can't sell any baby clothes. I had 1 child the first time and we had tons of clothes. But with twins on the way, all those clothes are really going to come in handy. Family and friends back home are throwing me a shower, but I am telling them no clothes, just diapers, gift cards to Walmart for formula (might have a hard time nursing both), some extra cloth diapers, gift cards for fast food places (so I won't have to try to cook the first couple weeks), etc. You know, the things that are consumable and the most expensive. Neither my husband nor I care if the twins are boys and wearing DD's pink clothes for the first year. Who cares? Who are they trying to impress? And really how often are we going to get out with 3 under 2.5 years old?
professionalmom 04:17 PM 06-25-2010
For the ones that mention some work-at-home side jobs, I am definitely looking into those during the next 24 hours and discussing with my husband. Who knows? Maybe both of us can do a little. I will be following up with those!! I am so glad to find something legit. Most of the things I see are scams and I am VERY suspicious.

For the one that mentioned refinancing the house, we are actually looking at refinancing to include the car payment so we can take that payment out of the equation and if coupled with a lower rate, the house payment may be comparable, but it would save a couple hundred on a car note. DH considered getting rid of his car, but that would leave us with a 14 year old car that needs almost $1000 worth of work, which makes it unreliable. Plus, if it breaks down, DH wouldn't have a way to work. So we are definitely looking at every possible solution and examining it very carefully.

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions and are praying for us. No words could ever thank you enough!
Genesis Lady 05:02 PM 06-25-2010
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. It really touched me, it is very similar to what our situation was a little over a year ago. I was pregnant, not with twins but I was high risk and on bed-rest. We actually lost our home...it was a blessing in disguise. That may not be the best for everyone and definitely does not seem to be what you want. We found our current home before we had to let the other one go. All four of our boys are happy and healthy and I was able to fulfill my long time dream of having a daycare. Life now is much less stressful and we are almost debt free! What a difference 2 years makes...some people call it dumb luck, charma, good fortune etc. We call it grace and mercy. Trust and pray....it will get better. I am also in Michigan, I am a new provider I have been licensed for a little over 2 months and I know first hand the difficulty in getting enrollments. I have been supplementing my income by working from home for the last 2 years. I enjoy what I do and plan to continue in the evenings and on weekends until we are completely stable and I feel confident in the daycare's success. I contract through a company called Arise. West at Home is also legit as mentioned by another poster. I sub-contracted for them through another WAH company. I am not sure what the extent of your financial situation is, I believe West requires a credit check. Arise requires a national background check and a drug screen depending on the client. If you are interested or have questions please feel free to PM me.

Keep the faith and stay encouraged...it does get better!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 06:23 PM 06-25-2010
I know this is going to sound really odd, but we tried that a couple months ago and almost everyone either said 1) no or 2) you can post a flier as long as it's nonprofit such as kittens free to good home. Even the libraries and all the grocery stores said that. The only places we could put up a flier were our church, ACO Hardware, and the community college. I am half tempted to go to Wal-Mart and Meijer and put my business cards on people's windshield wipers, but I don't want to get into trouble and I'm not sure if that's allowed here. I'll look into laundry mats and the consignment store.
Oh I dont mean post flyers,... Im sorry,.. I just inquired,... if they had anyone or knew anyone. Thats how I got my peds kids, my dentists kids, and from thos Ive gotten 3 families who were patients of my ped,... I have every baby ever born at the dentist office.
beachlovinmomma 06:35 PM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by Genesis Lady:
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. It really touched me, it is very similar to what our situation was a little over a year ago. I was pregnant, not with twins but I was high risk and on bed-rest. We actually lost our home...it was a blessing in disguise. That may not be the best for everyone and definitely does not seem to be what you want. We found our current home before we had to let the other one go. All four of our boys are happy and healthy and I was able to fulfill my long time dream of having a daycare. Life now is much less stressful and we are almost debt free! What a difference 2 years makes...some people call it dumb luck, charma, good fortune etc. We call it grace and mercy. Trust and pray....it will get better. I am also in Michigan, I am a new provider I have been licensed for a little over 2 months and I know first hand the difficulty in getting enrollments. I have been supplementing my income by working from home for the last 2 years. I enjoy what I do and plan to continue in the evenings and on weekends until we are completely stable and I feel confident in the daycare's success. I contract through a company called Arise. West at Home is also legit as mentioned by another poster. I sub-contracted for them through another WAH company. I am not sure what the extent of your financial situation is, I believe West requires a credit check. Arise requires a national background check and a drug screen depending on the client. If you are interested or have questions please feel free to PM me.

Keep the faith and stay encouraged...it does get better!
Do you mean you bought another home before you lost your previous home? How does that work? Or do you rent? Im just curious....thanks!
Unregistered 07:18 PM 06-25-2010
I have been in a similar situation in the past.

You could also try to make some quick money.

Garage sale

Sell big items on craigslist that you no longer use.

Write for ehow (it doesn't pay much, but to this day it still pays a utility bill).

Working at a daycare does sound like a good idea. Or even taking on a pt or weekend job may help.

Sending good luck vibes your way.((((((((((((((((((((((((
pigletsmommy 08:31 PM 06-25-2010
Last summer we were in a similar situation as you are. Thats when I went into childcare.

When you advertise at craigslist do you advertise your price? I found I get more responses when I leave that out. Here people are advertising for $75 per week I can't imagine how anyone can make money like that. I can't imagine going lower.

When I had opening last spring I told anyone and everyone that I did childcare and had openings. I made sure my parents knew. I actually had one parents say she knew someone looking for daycare but I would NOT want that kid...lol. You know thats got to be bad. Anywho... I told everyone. Word of mouth is the best advertising. Heck, sometimes I would find myself in store talking to someone...and I would even talk a little louder about my childcare so others around would hear me! You just never know who is going to hear you.

I hope it gets better for you. Sending some pixie dust your way!
Genesis Lady 08:53 PM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by beachlovinmomma:
Do you mean you bought another home before you lost your previous home? How does that work? Or do you rent? Im just curious....thanks!
Yes, we purchased another home. We do not rent, we own it, no mortgage! Has more rooms and larger than the one we owned before.

Praise God...because of Him...that's how it works!
professionalmom 08:55 PM 06-25-2010
pigletsmommy:

No. I do not advertise my prices on craigslist. However, I direct them to my website and every response I have gotten from the website starts out, "I love your website!" On the website, I list $130 per week for FT per child and $3.50 per hour for PT per child. Then I state that sibling discounts are available. I give a 25% sibling discount. I also state that other fees may apply and that weekend rates are higher. So when I get a hit from the website, I expect that they are prepared to pay what I charge and it's safe to go forward with getting to know them better.

I tell everyone that I am a daycare provider. I'm also in the bragging stage of my pregnancy and everyone says, "You'll have your hands full!" To which I reply, I am a daycare provider and deal with multiple toddler on a regular basis so this is nothing new to me. I love kids! After all, who else can you find to be so open, honest, and REAL as a child?

Thanks for the pixie dust!

To Everyone:
I got a hit from my website. Going to email the mom back in the next 5 minutes. It would be 2 kids, FT. That, alone, would be the difference we need! Pray I get them and maybe one or two more so we can rebuild the savings we just destroyed. Oh, no, now I think I'm too excited to sleep! Please, Lord, just let them be as good as the family who is moving away and the PT family I still have.
Genesis Lady 09:11 PM 06-25-2010
Professionalmom said:

I got a hit from my website. Going to email the mom back in the next 5 minutes. It would be 2 kids, FT. That, alone, would be the difference we need! Pray I get them and maybe one or two more so we can rebuild the savings we just destroyed. Oh, no, now I think I'm too excited to sleep! Please, Lord, just let them be as good as the family who is moving away and the PT family I still have. [/quote]

That is AWESOME! I will be so excited when my website is completed next week!

I am happy for you and praying that everything works out well!
pigletsmommy 09:15 PM 06-25-2010
I got a hit from my website. Going to email the mom back in the next 5 minutes. It would be 2 kids, FT. That, alone, would be the difference we need! Pray I get them and maybe one or two more so we can rebuild the savings we just destroyed. Oh, no, now I think I'm too excited to sleep! Please, Lord, just let them be as good as the family who is moving away and the PT family I still have.

Yeah! I hope it comes through for you!
alyssyn 10:09 AM 06-26-2010
Hope everything goes in your favor! Good Luck!!
Unregistered 10:30 AM 06-26-2010
i am really pulling for you and i'm going to say a prayer for you! i've been in that same position where i've just needed that one inquiry to pan out. stay positive & visualize it all working out. let any negative thought that seeps into your consciousness just drift away!
professionalmom 11:48 AM 06-26-2010
UPDATE: the potential may not pan out. Apparently my rate (including a 25% discount on the 2nd child) was approximately $25 more than their budget. They will discuss it and get back to me. Plus, it could turn into part-time.

Question: The PT client I have now, I only have for the 1-2 hours that mom and dad's shift over laps. One of them works the midnight shift at a unionized factory. I asked the mom if she could pass my info along. She said she would put a flier up on their board. So here's my thought: if I open up for 3rd shift (I don't have any other shift right now), then they would come and go right to bed, then wake up just in time to go home (maybe a snack or breakfast, depending on the time). I won't have to prepare crafts, meals/snacks, educational curriculums, etc. They won't need constant interaction, just basically a warm body to be able to respond in the event of emergencies, illness, or middle-of-the-night-nightmares. I can even sleep on the couch in the same room as them (unless DHS has changed that). So I would be getting paid to sleep. I normally charge $130 per week for FT, but with the reduced amount of actual work involved and the fact that I would be getting paid to sleep, I think it should be significantly lower. Plus, I am hoping to become the "deal" on overnight care. But, I want it to be worth my while. I was thinking that at $75 per week per kid, I could max out my numbers (husband is here so DD doesn't count in my ratio) and make $450 per week, which definitely gets us out of CRISIS mode. However, my mom said no lower than $100, which would give me $600 a week. What do you think would be fair and competitive enough to get people in here quick? $100, $75, lower, higher? I'm at a loss.
katie 12:31 PM 06-26-2010
I know I'm down at the bottom but just wanted to say I'm praying for you and your husband. We are just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel here. Hubby lost job in Oct. while I was pregnant with our daughter. Ours was also not a spending issue but an income issue. I have high blood pressure so being pregnant and having to go to the doc all the time I could not work. After I recovered I began doing Daycare. I have 4 of my own, so I took 2 and have a third coming. Hopefully we can pay the mortgage for July with my money. Hubby just got a part time job, but we are 4 months behind. At least it's coming in now, and there is hope. We visited the food closet near us. I know what it is like to be pregnant and have this stress. It will get better. As the storm blows it seems unbearable, but it will get better. Just keep advertising and know you are offering a wonderful service. Someone will come. My daughter's bday was in May. At that time I spent my last 3 dollars on cake mix! I"m sending hugs your way today.
QualiTcare 02:37 PM 06-26-2010
it may be worth going down on your price $25 if you're that strapped for cash.

i know it sucks, but it's the difference between some money and no money. you could always cut back on supplies and make cheaper meals to make up for the difference.

you ever heard the song Sounds Like Life To Me by Darryl Worley?

you'd probably like it. it's the story of my life.
jenh171 02:52 PM 06-26-2010
I agree with the previous poster that you should definitely consider foregoing the $25 and just get the clients in at this point. I have noticed there is a lot of discussion on here about the importance of setting policies and sticking to them in order to not get screwed, but I also think karma is an enormous power. I think it is entirely possible to incorporate compassion/flexibility into your business plan; in other words, stick to your policies, but recognize that we're all human, and there are just going to be times where you have to bend. Perhaps if you help this family out by reducing $25 so that they can stay within their budget, then maybe you'll find that they'll be flexible with you in the future too! I really hope it all works out for you! You sound completely conscientious and thoughtful and I'm so sure it will all work out!
professionalmom 04:57 PM 06-26-2010
So, my hubby is trying ANYTHING extra to bring in money. He said he would try to do some online surveys. I didn't think there would be anything substantial in it, but I let him try. Last night he came downstairs with his arms up in the air and a big grin on his face (like he just scored a touchdown) and said, "I just got paid for my first survey and they deposited it into my account that I have with them."

I thought, wow, maybe he can actually make a little extra money. After all, if he's this excited, it must be decent pay.

It took him 20 minutes to do the survey and he made ... (you should go potty before you read further) ... a whole $0.10!!!!! So he basically made $0.30 per hour (imagine a federal employee working a side job making $0.30 per hour!) What a sarcastic goofball! But he's my goofball!

At least we have not lost our sense of humor!
QualiTcare 05:06 PM 06-26-2010
hey i did mystery shopping before. i only did it one time, but there are lots of chances to do it and you choose if/when you do it. i found a place to register through google.

i did mine at office depot and it was easy. it took like 15 minutes - i bought a pack of paper and got a check in the mail for the price of the paper + 7 dollars.

i'm about to log into my account and see if there are more i can do actually! i don't know why i haven't done more.
momofboys 06:21 AM 06-27-2010
So, my hubby is trying ANYTHING extra to bring in money. He said he would try to do some online surveys. I didn't think there would be anything substantial in it, but I let him try. Last night he came downstairs with his arms up in the air and a big grin on his face (like he just scored a touchdown) and said, "I just got paid for my first survey and they deposited it into my account that I have with them."

I thought, wow, maybe he can actually make a little extra money. After all, if he's this excited, it must be decent pay.

It took him 20 minutes to do the survey and he made ... (you should go potty before you read further) ... a whole $0.10!!!!! So he basically made $0.30 per hour (imagine a federal employee working a side job making $0.30 per hour!) What a sarcastic goofball! But he's my goofball!

At least we have not lost our sense of humor!
You should look into market research companies. I live near Columbus, OH & I am on a list for a company who conducts market research (Columbus Research). Basically they conduct in-person surverys with big groups of people on a regular basis. They call me all the time to see if I or one of the memebrs of my family will qualify to take part in a survery. Usually they call me to ask questions about me or my family's use of certain products (laundry detergent, use of coffee, diapers, etc). The gist of it is if you qualify to participate in a survey you can normally earn about $75-$150 for an hour or two of your time. It's decent money, if you can do some research yourself & get on some lists for them to call you. So google your area & see if you can find some companies who conduct market research near you.
marycragers 09:34 AM 06-27-2010
The daycare's around here are doing okay. Curriculum is being updated and many of the parents are chipping in to provide snacks and craft materials. The biggest problem we have had is maintaining the school playground equipment. It's only five years old, but it's already rusting and one of the stairs to the slides is broken. The problem is there has never been any money in the budget to maintain the playground equipment.
professionalmom 10:07 AM 06-30-2010
Well, it looks like things may be turning around. We have a land contract on our house, which basically means that we own it, but instead of a regular mortgage company or bank being the mortgage holder, it's the previous owner. In this case, the previous owner is a non-profit organization that buys home in struggling neighborhoods, guts them, and rebuilds them from the basement to the roof. Then they sell them to families that they feel will take good care of them. It's basically part of the neighborhood revitalization project. We were very lucky to find a house this great, basically new, and for the low cost.

So we talked to the organization that holds the mortgage and they said not to worry about the payment this month at all. They will be talking with the head of the organization about possible ways to help us during this difficult time. Basically, would rather work with us than foreclose on us. THANK GOD!

So every bill (other than the house payment) is paid! And I had enough left over to stock the refrigerator and splurge on 3 new pairs of maternity underwear and a belly support band, since I'm having twins and my waist is expanding rapidly and I am having a lot of round ligament pain from the extra weight. And I'm only going to get bigger over the next 4-5 months! So, I feel guilty for splurging on myself, but it really is almost a need. Oddly, I am still at a -8 lbs for this pregnancy, but you'd swear I have gained at least 20 with how big my belly is getting. So the weight has shifted from other areas to right in front and it's pulling on my muscles. Ouch!!

We also got a strawberry cake mix for DD's birthday and the in-laws are buying DD her Pillow Pet for us to give her for her birthday next month.

Also, I have a very promising interview tonight, one tomorrow, and one Monday. I hope to land at least 2 of them. That would get us out of crisis mode, so we don't have to stress about next month. If I get all of them (yeah right, you ladies know the odds), it would allow us to maybe put a little back into the savings that we wiped out. So, fingers crossed and still praying, but at least we have hope again.

Thank you all for your prayers and offers to help. We never wanted actual help, just advice and trust me, we took as much of that advice as we could and ran with it! Hopefully, we can get a little more sleep now.
Golden Rule 10:14 AM 06-30-2010
Yay!!!!! This is awesome news!!!!!
Tripletmom 10:41 AM 06-30-2010
I'm new to this group, just joined today, but I couldn't not reply to your post. I have BTDT, and am thinking of you and praying for you and your family. Congrats on the twin pregnancy!!!

A few months after my triplets were born, my husband was laid off for 8 months. It was so horrible! We had to live on our CC's to survive. WIC, food pantry's, adopted by MOST (Mothers of Supertwins), etc, was a huge help too. We are still paying off the debt and my triplets are 8!

Here are some of the things I do to help make ends meet (besides home daycare):
I sell stuff on Craig's List and Ebay.
I sell handmade items on my Etsy site. (vinyl stickers and greeting cards)
I work evenings in the church daycare.
I offer parents nights out to my friends and family. They are HUGE and parents want me to add more nights. LOL

I also am part of a local M.O.M group (Mothers of Multiples). I have been since my triplets were born. They are a wonderful group of women, very caring and supportive. I get out of what I put in - times 10! I hope you join a MOM group close to you, not only for the networking, but for the wonderful friends you are bound to make.

Liana
Janet 11:30 AM 06-30-2010
I thought about you quite a bit this week and I'm glad to hear that things are starting to look up for you My hope is that it continues for you!!! I will keep you in my thoughts!
jen 12:10 PM 06-30-2010
Awesome!~
Crystal 12:21 PM 06-30-2010
YAY!!!!! I am SO happy for you! Best wishes with your interviews.....hope they sign and are all wonderful families!
booroo 02:04 PM 06-30-2010
This is good news... I'm still praying for you all...
Unregistered 09:54 AM 07-02-2010
I applied for and received food stamps. You can own a home but you can't have a new car I think. It was EXTREMELY vital to our existence for almost 2 years.
mouser 05:18 PM 07-09-2010
I am interested in making a little extra cash. Numbers are down and hubby is laid off. Thanks.
Mouser
professionalmom 06:00 PM 07-10-2010
Well, the good news is that the people that we have our land contract (house) through told us to not worry about paying anything this month. They are still discussing options for a more long-term solution to help us. They have mentioned helping us roll into a traditional mortgage. They mentioned even coming down on the price a bit (don't know how much). Basically when we bought the house 2.5 years ago, it was a steal. They were actually taking a loss. It was appraised for almost twice what we paid for it. That was Feb 08. Over that first year, there were tons of foreclosures in our neighborhood and no home sales, so in Feb 09, when we tried to roll it into a traditional mortgage, everything looked great as far as credit and such. But we got denied because our home lost so much value, we were upside down! The land contract company knows this and that is why they are considering helping us even if that means they take a bigger loss. The benefit to them is that they would get all their money right away.

Aside from that, we signed up for WIC. We were barely able to make it with less than $200 (annual income) to spare. Whew! They pay for a lot more than I thought and I made my first trip to the store to use the benefits. I got over $53 in groceries and only paid $3.99 out of pocket. I almost cried right in front of the cashier. Partly from embarrassment for needing such a program, and partly out of extreme gratitude that the program is there to help.

Also, I have gotten 2 brothers full-time. They are DHS so I don't expect the DHS to roll in for about a month. They were recently approved (I saw the letter) and it's just a matter of getting them under my ID, which usually doesn't take more than a month (sometimes less than 2 weeks). The family (mom, grandma, grandpa) loved my entire family. My husband bonded with grandpa. The grandma adores my DD and says things like "how's my girl doing today?" It's so great. The grandparents even brought over some riding/bouncing toys that the boys have outgrown and they donated them to my daycare! I almost cried in front of all of them - I was so touched! The family was concerned about the boys fighting all the time and not sharing (ages 3 & 4). But their first week was great. Sure, a few issues, but better than I would expect for their ages. And the boys argue over who gets to sit next to me. They are really sweet boys and get along with my DD great. I think it will work out great.

Another person that I interviewed with a while back called and wants to start in a couple weeks. She's dropping off the paperwork next week. Another full-timer.

The great thing is that the new families only need Mon - Fri. And this was supposed to be my last weekend with my weekenders (moving out of state). (but they called off yesterday and today due to high fevers - will be here tomorrow) So I will have weekends off! YAY!!

Money is still extremely tight right now. But, it looks like it's not as grim as it once was. I credit all the prayers from family and friends like you.

FYI - Big ultrasound on the twins on the 20th! We get to find out if they are boys or girls. But most importantly, how big and healthy they are. I'm more worried about their health. The risk of NICU is much higher with twins and I worry a lot about that. But, I am back up to pre-pregnancy weight and maybe a pound or two over. And my belly is huge. I'm 4 months and look like I did at 7 months with DD. So, I expect a great outcome at the ultrasound.

These highs and lows of running a business are enough to drive you crazy. But even with all the drama, tears, and fears, I know that what I do is very important. And I would never trade any of the time I get to spend with my daughter. I love my job (even on the bad days), and praise God for the opportunity to be home with my child(ren) AND make a difference in the lives of other children.

God Bless all of you!
momofsix 07:55 PM 07-10-2010
SO happy things are looking up God is good!
Chickenhauler 03:01 AM 07-11-2010
If they're still doing rehabs/rebuilds of houses, they may be agreeable to doing some trading work/labor for payments on the property.

IDK what your hubby's skill level is, but I have a friend of mine who lost his job and was having a tough time finding something else, so he stepped out on his own-lawn and yard care business. He already had a mower and weed whacker, so his only startup overhead was gas and time. He has grown it from a "gotta pay the bills" desperate measure to a full service property care company.

You just can't give up hope, keep searching for that light at the end of the tunnel.
professionalmom 05:02 AM 07-11-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
If they're still doing rehabs/rebuilds of houses, they may be agreeable to doing some trading work/labor for payments on the property.

IDK what your hubby's skill level is, but I have a friend of mine who lost his job and was having a tough time finding something else, so he stepped out on his own-lawn and yard care business. He already had a mower and weed whacker, so his only startup overhead was gas and time. He has grown it from a "gotta pay the bills" desperate measure to a full service property care company.

You just can't give up hope, keep searching for that light at the end of the tunnel.
Thank you so much for the idea. My husband and I both grew up in families where our dads did all the home improvements and home construction, so we learned how to do all that stuff really early. We didn't get to lay around in the summer as kids. We were put to work. So we could do something like that. However, with me pregnant with twins, taking care of our (almost) 2 year old, and finally getting new clients, I just can't do it. I would be afraid to even get on a ladder these days. My center of gravity is off. My husband works for the federal government and he's going to school full time so he can hopefully get a better job within the federal government. So I don't know where either of us would have the time.

At least it looks like we have more options than what we originally thought.
momma2girls 11:37 AM 07-11-2010
Thank you so much for the idea. My husband and I both grew up in families where our dads did all the home improvements and home construction, so we learned how to do all that stuff really early. We didn't get to lay around in the summer as kids. We were put to work. So we could do something like that. However, with me pregnant with twins, taking care of our (almost) 2 year old, and finally getting new clients, I just can't do it. I would be afraid to even get on a ladder these days. My center of gravity is off. My husband works for the federal government and he's going to school full time so he can hopefully get a better job within the federal government. So I don't know where either of us would have the time.

At least it looks like we have more options than what we originally thought.
GOod luck to you!! Sounds like things are looking a little bit up for you!!!! Prayers are with you!!
Genesis Lady 12:07 PM 07-11-2010
ProfessionalMom said "These highs and lows of running a business are enough to drive you crazy. But even with all the drama, tears, and fears, I know that what I do is very important. And I would never trade any of the time I get to spend with my daughter. I love my job (even on the bad days), and praise God for the opportunity to be home with my child(ren) AND make a difference in the lives of other children.

God Bless all of you!"

So glad to hear that things are turning around. I am still praying for you and your family!

God is faithful!
Former Teacher 12:20 PM 07-11-2010
You know...I have never met my Grandmother (I was 3 weeks old when she passed). I don't remember my Grandfather as I was 6 or 7 years old. Now I am sure I might get a lot of non believers but something happened to me and my family last year that I feel now is the perfect time to share

Last year I met a great friend of mine through my long lost sister. She is a psychic, kind of like a Ghost Whisper. My friend knew things about me and my family that NO ONE else knew. Not even my sister knew (I found her after 25 odd years so no one can say they talked ) Anyway long story short, after my friend did a reading on me and my family I felt SO much closer to my Grandparents that I have never felt growing up. I mean my mother would saying things like...Grandma is looking down at you etc..but this was a truly life changing event.

Anyway, last Oct. I asked my husband to please move this hutch that has been in family for YEARS. We had it in our dining room and I wanted to move it to our spare bedroom. It's not that heavy but I wanted him to move it haha. I asked him in Oct. Come Dec. it was still in my dining room. I woke up one morning and I truly felt like my Grandmother gave me a push and she told me FIRMLY..."if you want something done, DO IT YOURSELF!". I was like you know what, you are right! So guess who moved it I totally felt my Grandmothers presence. My husband walked in that morning (he works nights) and was SO shocked he said..."um someone has been decorating"

Second time was just recently. We are hurting financially. No way around it we are. I was crying and so upset. I was in a depressed state of mind. I was thinking bad thoughts that I won't get to. Anyway I was driving home from work (a long drive, an hour away so LOTS of thinking time) and I again felt her presence. I felt her say in so many words...life is to short to worry about damn bills and money. If you want to something done, DO IT YOURSELF! She gave me inspiration to say hey its time for that part time job. My husband works nights so 9 times out of 10 he is sleeping when I get home. I can take something for those few hours until I go to bed. Plus I have weekends off.

I have been looking. Nothing yet but I just feel SO blessed to have been given "the push" by someone who is looking out for me. I know there are some people who might think I am crazy. But I saw first hand.

Thanks for letting me share my story. I love telling people about my friend. The whole situation makes me just feel overflowing with love.
professionalmom 02:23 AM 07-12-2010
Former Teacher - I was very lucky to have my maternal grandma in my life for the first 31 years of it. She passed in 2006, at the age of 82. She and my mom (her daughter) were my mentors in life. My grandma had 7 children. The 5th (my mom) & 6th were twins. My grandparents lived along a river in a remote area, down a dirt road, lined with beautiful homes that you'd never know existed unless you knew someone who lived out there. Well, in the entire 30+ years that my grandparents lived there, there have been plenty of ducks and geese, but never any swans. Hours before my grandma (the most devote Christian lady I ever knew - but not preachy) passed on, the backyard was full of swans. My aunt took a picture of the majestic view. Days or weeks later, when my aunt had the film developed, there were no swans. Many of us believe that the swans were really angels coming to take grandma home to Heaven. Fast forward to 2008, at my baby shower with DD, the last gift for me to open had a card that said, "I am with you in spirit. Love Grandma" I thought it was a cruel joke at first. But then I realized everyone (my mom, aunts, cousins, etc) were crying. I couldn't figure it out. Then my aunt said that just before grandma passed (on her death bed), she told them (my aunts) to make sure to get me a blanket for my first child when I have her. What's really amazing is that at the time my grandma passed, I was married to someone else who could not give me children and my grandma knew this. Yet somehow she knew I would have a baby someday, somehow. I'm almost in tears again just remembering it. Then one night at the very end of my pregnancy, I went to Wal-Mart to walk around inside (9 mths preg in July - I needed the A/C). As I pulled into the parking lot, there were tons of seagulls! I had never seen any in that parking lot before (or since). I immediately thought of grandma and thought that it might be a sign from her that tonight is the night. I went to the hospital that night because of a little extra "pressure" (but no pain) and the "sign" from grandma. My DD was born less than 8 hours after I saw the seagulls. Needless to say, we had planned from the moment we found out we were pregnant with DD, that we would name her after grandma and we did. They have the same middle name. And even though DD has never met her great grandma, I tell her about her "angel grandma" all the time. Oh, and the blanket from grandma, has only been used once - to bring DD home from the hospital - now we have it preserved for DD, so she will always have something from her "angel grandma".

Sorry so long. I just had to add my grandma story, too. I truly believe that we have angels looking out for us. And if anyone thinks you or I are kooky, then so be it. I feel better every time I think of grandma, her voice, her arms around me, her favorite flower/scent (lilacs), etc. My only regret is that she is not here to see me have the first set of twins since she had hers. She always wanted someone to have another set. But I know she is watching over my babies.

God Bless!
misol 07:34 AM 07-12-2010
So happy to hear that things are turning around for you. God is good ALL the time.
Tags:craigs list, helpless, recession
Reply Up