Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For the Providers on Facebook...
anya 08:41 PM 08-08-2011
So I have a family that is holding a spot to start in Sept, we've been in contact recently about them setting up some visiting days to start getting their little one acquainted with me and the space and such. I randomly received a facebook friends request from the father. Not the mother, whom I'm in contact with primarily, just the father. I've thought about adding families on facebook and usually do if I've been working for them and they add me, but I've never had a request so soon before starting care and I just feel kinda awkward..

How do you handle facebook and work? Are you friends with your families that are on there? Do you have a business page and direct them all there and keep your personal page private? If you do have a business page, are you able to post pictures privately to families or is it more for advertising?

Thanks!
Michael 09:58 PM 08-08-2011
Maybe the other members will add to this. I believe you can set your pictures and members level of privacy. Be it public, private or friends.
littlemissmuffet 10:08 PM 08-08-2011
I don't mix business and pleasure. My fb privacy is set so I don't even show up in searches... no parents have found me on fb or attempted to "friend" me. If they did I would just let them know that my personal fb is part of my private life and doesn't mesh with my professional life. If they can't or don't want to handle that then so be it - but it's my life and I make the rules
AnneCordelia 03:31 AM 08-09-2011
I also don't mix the two.
Squirrel 05:06 AM 08-09-2011
I've friended families on facebook but have since set up a business site and direct the new ones there. I have my business site 100% open for advertising. I have permission slips from the parents regarding using their child's picture on facebook and on my website. I don't use the children's names on either.
Crazy8 05:31 AM 08-09-2011
I have a few current and former daycare families on FB and I kind of wish I didn't - especially after I read a thread on here about how a mom was mad her provider was posting about "looking forward to the weekend", or "having a rough week" type posts. I post that stuff all the time.
If I could do it over I wouldn't have friended them. You could make your wall and photos private from them but I'm of the mentality of why add me if you are going to block me from viewing your page??
I have a business page but I don't find it working too well for me - in order to invite people to it they need to be on my friends list. And it is public - you can not set photos to private on a business page.
Google Apps for Day Care 07:53 AM 08-09-2011
I like to think of my online world as an extension of my offline world. I tend not to mix personal and business offline and thus try to do the same with my online activities. Adjusting your settings in FB (and monitoring for changes) is OK, but where possible, I lean toward creating separate business pages/accounts.
Tags:advertising, facebook, holding spot
Reply Up