Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help in Ohio
jraybaby 12:13 PM 03-31-2010
Hello everyone! I have been all over the net trying to figure out exactly what I need to do to become a licensed type B daycare provider in Ohio. I have been all over the state site which does have useful info, but apparently, in Ohio each county is in charge of type B homes (up to 6 children) and can impose their own rules. I have called and left messages with the Lake County Dept. of Job and Family Services, but no one has called back and their website is basically useless. My question is this...does anyone know anything about what needs to be done to get licensed in Lake County, Ohio? I need details about space requirements, fencing the backyard etc. Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help.
mac60 01:19 PM 03-31-2010
Unless you are planning on more than 6, I wouldn't bother getting licensed. Just a lot of un needed headaches. You can still claim it on taxes, get the tax deductions and all, with out the gov't at your front door dictating how you breathe. JMO here.
jraybaby 01:59 PM 03-31-2010
I had read that it wasn't necessary to be licensed but I thought I might be cutting myself short if I didn't because then I can't take families who get assistance. If I don't get licensed can I still get liability insurance and the USDA food program? Thanks again!
Michael 12:16 PM 04-02-2010
Type B homes - one to six children cared for in the provider's personal residence. No more than three children may be under two years of age. The provider's own children under six years of age must be included in the total count. Anyone can operate a Type B Home without a license. However, care for more than 6 children requires a license. Type B homes must be certified by the county department of Job and Family Services if the child care is paid for with public funds. Approximately 7,000 type B homes are certified by local departments of Job and Family Services.

http://jfs.ohio.gov/cdc/page2.stm
mac60 12:43 PM 04-02-2010
Originally Posted by jraybaby:
I had read that it wasn't necessary to be licensed but I thought I might be cutting myself short if I didn't because then I can't take families who get assistance. If I don't get licensed can I still get liability insurance and the USDA food program? Thanks again!
Yes you can get insurance, and I take the standard deduction for meals and it really adds up. Honestly, are you sure the people on subsidy are the types of families you want. Don't mean to be disrespectful, but around here it is a lot of problem families. I don't do it.
Former Teacher 06:21 AM 04-03-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Yes you can get insurance, and I take the standard deduction for meals and it really adds up. Honestly, are you sure the people on subsidy are the types of families you want. Don't mean to be disrespectful, but around here it is a lot of problem families. I don't do it.
I couldn't agree more with you Mac. I dont want to sound direspectful either but the parents that were on state aid gave us the most headaches. That is one of the many reasons why we eventually stopped taking state aid.
momma2girls 09:36 AM 04-03-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I couldn't agree more with you Mac. I dont want to sound direspectful either but the parents that were on state aid gave us the most headaches. That is one of the many reasons why we eventually stopped taking state aid.
I totally agree, I had to stop taking state aid families about 4 yrs. ago! It was a big headache, let alone being without their payment for 2 months!!!
TGT09 04:28 PM 04-04-2010
Also, with the govt. aided families (agree with the others, no disrespect).....do you know that you if you take Title 20 that it could take up to 6 weeks to get a paycheck/reimbursement at the end of every month? It seemed like WAY more hassle than I wanted.
Tags:ohio, type b
Reply Up