Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Water Test
Josiegirl 04:33 AM 02-04-2017
Included in our new regs. is testing our water. I have town water and have never had it tested privately and was completely confused by the dept. of health website. I have to call them Monday a.m. but until then, any advice on it? And I didn't realize they're so expensive. Well, 100 bucks or so is expensive to me.
lovemydaycare0912 05:03 AM 02-04-2017
What do they want you to test it for? In my state, that's only if you have a well.
Josiegirl 06:07 AM 02-04-2017
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
What do they want you to test it for? In my state, that's only if you have a well.
To be honest, I don't even know. That's one of the reasons I'm calling them Monday. But there are 2 places to fill out on my new registration, 1 for well water and the other for municipal water.
I tell ya, our state has instituted a lot of new changes along with dissolution of resource coordinators positions throughout the state. It seems like we have been left on our own to seek trainings, decipher new rules and who knows what else?? Their thought must have been 'let's change things, then figure everything out'. In the process they're losing good providers.
racemom 06:12 AM 02-04-2017
Your municipality may already test the water. Call your local water department and ask for a copy of the water test results. This should be public information, and free or low cost for the copying.
Second Home 06:24 AM 02-04-2017
I do have well water . When the health dept comes out to test they take the airator (sp) off the faucet , spray bleach solution to make sure there is no bacteria on the faucet and then fill a small bottle with water . takes about 10 minutes from when they walk in the door . They also walk the yard to look for septic issues since I have well water and septic .

A house could have problems with the pipes leading into the house so a municipal test may not be accurate for the entire community.
Josiegirl 12:21 PM 02-04-2017
The health dept. comes and does it for you??
AFAIK, we have to order a kit, do the test ourselves, keep the results cool, and the lab has to receive it within 48 hrs.
Josiegirl 12:23 PM 02-04-2017
Our town water is always tested at the source but PP is right about pipes, plus I read something about ecoli on the site too.

Fun fun, it's always something. Every time I clear a hurdle another one pops up.
Second Home 07:09 AM 02-06-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
The health dept. comes and does it for you??
AFAIK, we have to order a kit, do the test ourselves, keep the results cool, and the lab has to receive it within 48 hrs.

Yes, they call me to schedule an appt , come out and call me with the results within a week . Then I get a paper copy of the results a few weeks later.
Sumshine 09:12 AM 02-06-2017
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
That is the same in my state as well only if it's well water. Since I have city water they don't request anything else of me.

Hopefully that's what they meant so it will be easy for you!
daycarediva 10:38 AM 02-06-2017
We only have to test if it's a well, otherwise, we just obtain a copy of our local water report and mail that in.
Josiegirl 03:36 PM 02-06-2017
Evidently, they just need me to do a lead test. And it was only $12. I'm glad about that because some of the tests they were selling were up over $100.
Mike 04:31 PM 02-06-2017
Evidently, they just need me to do a lead test. And it was only $12. I'm glad about that because some of the tests they were selling were up over $100.
That would probably be because even if the city water is fine, if a house still has old lead pipes, that can contaminate the water. Most houses have had plumbing upgraded by now, but not all.
Josiegirl 02:16 AM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
That would probably be because even if the city water is fine, if a house still has old lead pipes, that can contaminate the water. Most houses have had plumbing upgraded by now, but not all.
Now I'm worrying about the test not coming back alright.
The couple who built this house in the 50's, he did the work himself I believe. And he wasn't the best of 'follow the rules' handymen.
Guess all I can do is wait and see.
Mike 07:18 AM 02-07-2017
Now I'm worrying about the test not coming back alright.
The couple who built this house in the 50's, he did the work himself I believe. And he wasn't the best of 'follow the rules' handymen.
Guess all I can do is wait and see.
Can you see the water pipes in your basement, or wherever the line comes into the house? Silver color is lead pipes and some shade of brown means copper.

If they are lead and there is lead in the water, you would probably want to either get them changed anyway, or at least add a filter.

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and...drinking-water
Josiegirl 09:49 AM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
Can you see the water pipes in your basement, or wherever the line comes into the house? Silver color is lead pipes and some shade of brown means copper.

If they are lead and there is lead in the water, you would probably want to either get them changed anyway, or at least add a filter.

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and...drinking-water
I'll have to go double check but I'm pretty sure I've seen silver pipes in the basement.
Probably an expensive plumbing visit huh?
Mike 10:24 AM 02-07-2017
If they look like this photo, they are lead.

Doesn't mean there is a problem, but will be somewhere down the road. The older the lead gets, the worse it gets, and standing water collects more toxins, so one thing to do is run the water for a few minutes before using to flush out what has been sitting in the lines.

How big a job depends on how much of the pipe is accessible and how much of it to replace. No lead pipe is best, but the less, the better. I've done a few jobs replacing what was accessible and leaving the rest.

For now, wait for the test and see how it goes.
Tags:lead levels, water, water test
Reply Up