Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those of You With Babies...
tenderhearts 09:40 AM 08-02-2010
I have some more questions for those of you who have babies in your care. I'm trying to NOT pave the same road I have many many times with my other babies that made having them in my care with other kids very difficult. I'm one of those people who picks up babies every time they cry, I did that with my own and with all my daycare babies except the last 2, I think with them I was lucky they were both really good sleeper by the time they started with me at 7 mo. So I'm trying to "train" myself into some new ways.
With that being said, my 4 mo. old infant has been doing pretty well, not a "fussy" baby really. Her naps had been 2 per day with maybe a catnap if she falls asleep on our walk. Both naps anywhere from 1 1/2 -3 hours long. UNTIL friday, she wakes up about 30 min into her nap, I tried letting her fuss a few min before going in there and just checking on her, I rubbed her tummy a moment then left the room, she continued to cry for about 6 min before I finally went in there and got her, well she did these 30 min naps all day. So with your babies in care what do you do? If they wake up early from the morning nap do you just try hard to keep them up until the next nap or wait until they show signs of being tired? She definetly was tired.
She still seems young that her schedule may not be always the same but the 30 min. naps are crazy. I had another baby about 6 years ago that was like this and back then which I just can't and wont do anymore I would pick her up and rock her back to sleep each time.
So anyone who does the baby thing please tell me what you do, I mean I know all babies are different and I don't want to make a baby feel like they aren't loved but I also have other kids and another baby starting in 2 weeks.
Thanks
MN Mom 11:33 AM 08-02-2010
My dcbaby has goes through this phase EVERY Monday because the parents do not put him for regular naps at home and they co-sleep with him at night. I let him fuss till he falls back asleep, and on Tues-Friday he sleeps like a baby

Monday it starts all over again though, UGH (I HATE MONDAYS!!!).
tenderhearts 12:47 PM 08-02-2010
I've had that happen as well but with older kids. I do know they bring her in bed with them after her first wake up. But she also says that she wants to get to a point where the baby will fall asleep on her own. I don't think co sleeping will help with that, maybe I'm wrong, just going by my 2 kids. We did cosleep with our first and we had night sleeping issues for a long time, but with our second we did not do that and he was always a great sleeper.
My last baby her parents were against it and she was always a great sleepr too.
TeeSee 01:21 PM 08-02-2010
If this is something new for the baby, then there may be an underlying issue. Is the baby sick? Teething? Did something in her environment change?
tenderhearts 01:51 PM 08-02-2010
Not that I'm aware of. This baby has only been with me for about 4 weeks now. Mom said that sometimes she just doesn't nap well but says she seems to be napping better and has a better routine since coming here. I just can't leave a baby "cry" for very long even if I know they are tired. I do let her fuss a little if she wakes up during her nap and she usually always falls back asleep until friday. I just read about how these other daycare providers seems to be able to keep babies on their schedules and they sleep great for them, I'm not the "cry it out" kind of person so I don't think I can do that for too long.
professionalmom 10:57 PM 08-04-2010
I'm thinking that there might be something else going on. Although it COULD be due to the co-sleeping, I'm not completely sold on that, if she's only 4 mths. My DD co-slept with us until she was 7 mths and became so wiggly, I couldn't sleep. That was also around the time that she got an ear infection, an respiratory infection (from a plane ride across the country), and was teething - all together made nursing painful for her and she weened herself at the same time, which cut out the night nursing and need to co-sleep. We never had a problem putting her to sleep on her own - not even the first night. Now that she's 2 it's a whole different story - who wants to sleep at two when there's so much to do! However, I did have a 12-18 mth old who exclusively co-slept all his life. Then for naps, the dad would just carry his around the house until he fell asleep. He wouldn't go to sleep for me unless I was holding him, which was not possible with all the other kids, paperwork, and cleaning to do during naps. So, I think there could be a link with the co-sleeping, but I would think that would be the case with an older baby, not a little one.
Tags:crying, holding baby
Reply Up