Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Where Do People Buy Their Books?
Unregistered 04:52 AM 05-13-2016
I was wondering where people get their books from? Be it either books for yourself to read, books for the kids at home or books for the Daycare Centre. I tend to look around the second-hand shops to see if I can find a bargain for sale. I check the local shops but am always keeping an eye out too when I go some place new. Any online options that are any good?
Thriftylady 04:56 AM 05-13-2016
I use the library a lot. Other books I do the same as you. Scholastic is a good place to get books also, and you get points towards free books!
Blackcat31 05:09 AM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I was wondering where people get their books from? Be it either books for yourself to read, books for the kids at home or books for the Daycare Centre. I tend to look around the second-hand shops to see if I can find a bargain for sale. I check the local shops but am always keeping an eye out too when I go some place new. Any online options that are any good?
For daycare, I buy my books via Scholastic Book Clubs.

I also have lots of parents that will donate books to us when their child(ren) have outgrown them.

For myself, I buy my books from Amazon mostly. Since making the move to an e-reader and using my Kindle alot more, the convenience of having my books with me makes it super efficient to just use Amazon.

Before that I mostly got my books through the local library or I would just wait for the paperback to be available and would buy from Target. My mom, sister and a few friends used to exchange books between a group of us and that was always nice too!
Cat Herder 09:34 AM 05-13-2016
I have been getting mine from daycare provider sell or swap pages on facebook.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:22 AM 05-13-2016
My college age daughter turned me on to Abebooks.com. I get some books super cheap because I will search for the "good" condition and not necessarily the best because I figure they are going to get some wear here with the kids.
Leigh 10:49 AM 05-13-2016
Almost all of the kids' books come from Scholastic (if I see something at Target that I think they'll like, I still buy it), but Scholastic's books are so well curated-even when I think that a book is "stupid", for lack of a better word, the kids still enjoy it. They're great at choosing books for kids, and the price can not be beat!

For me, I get most of mine from my library's annual booksale. Friends of the Library members get to preshop the sale and get the "good stuff" (it's only $10 a year for membership and the books are dirt cheap-mostly 50 cents for paperback, $1 for hardcover). I buy books on child development and such from ebay, amazon, and trade for them on paperbackswap.com. We don't have a local bookstore anymore, so I buy virtually nothing from bookstores, except for one resale bookstore.
Josiegirl 11:17 AM 05-13-2016
Yard sales are my #1 choice, Salvation Army or other types of places like that. We have a local store that takes donations of items and sells them for helping other people. In fact, the name of the store is H.O.P.E. Helping Other People Everyday. Their books are between .25 and .50. I've found some wonderful books there!
For gift worthy I usually order from Amazon.
I used to belong to Paperbackswap. com until they started charging a yearly fee. But sometimes their choice wasn't that great and if you put a book on your wish list, you might be very lucky to get it soon or you may never get it, depending on how popular it was.
AmyKidsCo 11:24 AM 05-13-2016
Books for the kiddos come from Scholastic, and occasionally Barnes & Noble if there's something I HAVE to have that Scholastic doesn't carry.

For me it's used book stores, Amazon for Kindle books, and half.com.
Josiegirl 03:11 PM 05-13-2016
http://www.thriftbooks.com/
Here's another place I've ordered from before. I've seen some people complain about the books they received but I never had a problem. Sometimes they have special online deals you can look for.
sleepinghart 06:06 AM 05-18-2016
~Almost all my books come from either Scholastic or Amazon.com.
Unregistered 12:43 PM 06-02-2016
I buy them at the flea market/swapmeet 7 books for $6 dollars. I look through them first and then clean them before putting them out. I also go to Ross and marshalls clearance section.
CityGarden 01:30 PM 06-02-2016
Scholastic Book Club - though it seems to becoming more commercial with the books offered.....

Parent Donations - I ask each birthday child to donate a favorite book to class on their birthday and I give them a book in return as their birthday gift (I earn the books I give for free from Scholastic so this cost me nothing).

Amazon and a local independent book store for my own books and those for my dd.

That said, I like checking out books from the library by theme. Since I like to rotate books this allows me to not need to store so many books.
Unregistered 04:55 PM 06-08-2016
I am signed up for Scholastic, but rarely find any good deals. I usually buy from thrift stores and garage sales, special books from barnes & nobles.

What deals is everyone seeing at Scholastic? What am I missing?
Blackcat31 06:11 PM 06-08-2016

What deals is everyone seeing at Scholastic? What am I missing?
Every month the flyers have $1 books and cool sets/libraries as well as themed books based on month, season and holiday.
Most their books are $5 and under. Hardcover is a bit more.
I get 3 or 4 different flyer catalogs each month. Honeybee, Firefly and See Saw. Sometimes a seasonal catalog too

I've also bought manipulatives and classroom stuff using points earned from monthly orders.

I love Scholastic!
thrivingchildcarecom 12:24 PM 07-25-2016
I buy from Abebooks.com. I can find new as well as gently used books for bargain rates.
PalmaHall 12:39 AM 06-06-2017
I buy pre-loved books from Facebook pages. I can always find some good selections but the problem with it is that it's a first come first serve basis.
flying_babyb 11:43 PM 06-06-2017
ebay!! i buy lots of books (usally 5 or more) from there. Im also partial to our st. Vincent de Paul who sells grab bags of books (usally 20+ books) for $2!
CeriBear 06:58 AM 06-11-2017
I usually shop for books at Barnes and Noble or order from their website. I also have an iPad mini and download a lot of books from iBooks.

I find a lot of books for my classroom at places like Walmart and Target too.

I'm going to have to check out Scholastic. I ordered books from them when I was a kid.
Tags:books, library, scholastic
Reply Up