Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview Today...Not Feelin It :\
cillybean83 08:57 AM 01-25-2011
I have an interview today at 5 and I can't get motivated to clean the house...it isn't that I don't care, it's just that the last few interviews have either been no call no show, or just plain sucked, and deep down i have this "whats the point" feeling...which i know is WRONG but I do. I have 5 hours so it isn't like I can't get the house and the playroom clean, I'm just going to be really, really ticked if these people don't show.

Have you ever had days where you just wanted to sit in the playroom and play weebles and watch dora the explorer and forget about everything else that needs to be done?
Little People 09:02 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
I have an interview today at 5 and I can't get motivated to clean the house...it isn't that I don't care, it's just that the last few interviews have either been no call no show, or just plain sucked, and deep down i have this "whats the point" feeling...which i know is WRONG but I do. I have 5 hours so it isn't like I can't get the house and the playroom clean, I'm just going to be really, really ticked if these people don't show.

Have you ever had days where you just wanted to sit in the playroom and play weebles and watch dora the explorer and forget about everything else that needs to be done?
Becareful cillybean, you are in Memphis and so am I.....remember my mom that would of been a thorn?? Hopefully she is not your interview. Little girl is 12 months.
marniewon 09:03 AM 01-25-2011
LOL, yes I have! Except I would rather watch food network and color!

I've felt like that the last few interviews also. I NEED more kids, but it seems like the last few interviews I had were really flaky. One family stayed for an hour, with their hyper kid bouncing off the walls, and were really into bringing him here. Even went so far as to email me the next day to ask when she could bring payment and the contract over. Then the following day (day before he would start) I got a curt email saying my services would not be needed. Yeah, the last few interviews I didn't really clean at all, not any more than I would to just do daycare anyway. My heart wasn't in it at all. BTW, the previous family I interviewed did decide to come here, but they won't start until next month.

But yeah, I hear ya on no motivation for cleaning for a probably/possible no show or flaky parents.
cillybean83 09:06 AM 01-25-2011
ROFL!!! This little girl is 18 months and so far I've only made contact with dad but mom is coming to the interview too. We shall see! I should be excited because she's the perfect age for my group (I only take super littles, 6 weeks-2 years) but I can't get motivated...time for me to get off my butt and fold some laundry...good thing I have "The Office" on netflix to keep me company while the kiddos are sleeping!
dEHmom 09:07 AM 01-25-2011
I totally agree....except the dora part. Oy I can't stand any more Dora.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence, or not, but since I posted my rates on ads, no calls. But I decided to take them off and put them on the website instead. So if they go to the website, at least they can see what I have to offer before seeing the rates.

Before I used to get constant emails/calls but first questions, "rates?"

And I've had a few no shows as well. So I figure, I'll do 10 second tidy, and if something really messy/dirty/stinky happens, I'll blame it on the kids!
Gurdy 09:59 AM 01-25-2011
You could call them and confirm the appointment time this afternoon. That way you will at least feel like they will actually show up and your cleaning wont go to waste.
cillybean83 10:04 AM 01-25-2011
i cleaned the living room and I'm doing laundry now. It isn't something that has to be done for the interview, but I prefer to wear clean clothes so that comes first! lol

I'll tidy the kitchen, the sleep room, and the playroom...all the other doors will be closed

I hate Dora too btw, but my son is in love, "duh-uh" was his first word after da-da....
countrymom 10:05 AM 01-25-2011
first, I love food network, its one of my favorite shows. also i found that i would so many no shows that it was way too hard on my family. so I started doing them during my hours. I would make them short, hand them my contract and tell them if they are interested to schedual another appointment. this way they can see the kids, they get to see their children interact with all my children (I call them my children even if they are dck's)and most of the time, the parents feel guilty ripping their children from my fun house that most end up signing.
Blackcat31 10:07 AM 01-25-2011

I've had days like that too and just went with the day and did the interview. (without my normal clean up and look good routine) I just figured I am who I am and I dont want to go all out to look all perfect when in reality we all have our "blah" days. I was honest about it at the interview and like I said I ended up getting the family so I guess all is good....
Abigail 10:19 AM 01-25-2011
Do you have interview related things to get ready for then? What do you prepare for besides *thinking about cleaning?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 10:20 AM 01-25-2011
ROFL!!!(I only take super littles, 6 weeks-2 years)
Good luck on your interview! Just curious, do you let them go when the kids reach 2 years old? Or do you take them in that young and watch them for however long the family stays with you?
cillybean83 10:25 AM 01-25-2011
I have 3 semesters left til i get my masters degree, then I'm going to open a preschool for 2 1/2 - 5 year olds, so I figured if I take littles now, they will have the opportunity to transition into my preschool when it opens.

I keep all my paperwork in manilla folders, so everything they need is in there, I just pull out the folder an hour before the interview and put it on the coffee table, that's about it!
DBug 01:40 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
i found that i would so many no shows that it was way too hard on my family. so I started doing them during my hours. I would make them short, hand them my contract and tell them if they are interested to schedual another appointment..
I normally do not do interviews during dc hours, but after doing my last one a couple of weekends ago, I started to realize how much time it takes from my family time, and how much my family actually has to do to accommodate it. It probably came down to 3 hours of work for me, and an hour and a half of my kids and husband being stuck down in the basement. And I never heard back from the interviewing family.

What do you do exactly during these meet & greets? This may be an idea for me to consider, as a way to weed out the serial interviewers .
cillybean83 01:48 PM 01-25-2011
I have the potential daycare parents meet my family, tour my home, check out my daycare room, then we sit in the living room and talk for a bit, I give them my paperwork, they usually look over it, I ask if they have any questions...it usually takes me about 20 minutes to figure out if they would be a good fit or not but they're usually here for an hour or so, which sucks for me tonight because I'm starving!!! They better make it snappy! lol
DCMama 11:08 AM 09-22-2012
omg that how i felt the last few times!!! except instead of playing with dora I was playing with the baby kitchen. sigh. Having all these no shows no calls people really bother me. Its like I got everything ready just to be stood up. I know how you feel.
EchoMom 12:50 PM 09-22-2012
Me too! I have an interview at 10am Monday morning so I have plenty of time, but I have ALOT to do! I recently completely switched my playroom and master bedroom and still don't have the playroom finished setting up. I've got time but Ughhhh, just no motivation!
Abigail 01:20 PM 09-22-2012
This thread is almost 2 years old! So did the tour show up and enroll since the child was 18 month now probably 2.75 years old and out of your care already?

I'm just lucky that daycare is all lower level of the home so when people come for a tour they walk in the front door and see part of the kitchen counter and that is it. We walk downstairs and they get a tour of the whole lower level used just for daycare. If they enroll then they use the daycare entrance which they walk through the messy garage but other than that I never have cleaning to do since daycare is always picked up at the end of the day. LOL

Love my job!
Former Teacher 07:22 AM 09-23-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
This thread is almost 2 years old! So did the tour show up and enroll since the child was 18 month now probably 2.75 years old and out of your care already?
Actually a registered user brought up this old thread. Maybe DCMama was searching threads

I was just shocked that it wasn't unregistered
Tags:interview
Reply Up