Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Turn,..lol
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:38 AM 11-04-2010
ok,... it has come to my attention (read this as, I just sat down evaluated my program and realized something has to change)and for personal reasons I am choosing to terminate one family. I am at capacity after I get my new babies. The one has been born, the others wont be until feb. I am too busy. I just know its more than I want. I have to term a family and Ive chosen them based on many reasons. personal issues, past experience with them, non payment, honesty, etc. what do I say? here is my plan,..

I will use my standard termination form,... two weeks bla bla bla,..I dont give a reason on it,. just dear parents,.. last day of care will be,... reason ,.. none. but I will talk to them the day I hand them my letter. My plan is to tell them that I am busier than I feel comfortable with and because of that am downsizing the childcare program. Since they are my newest family (only 19 months) I am giving them their 2 week notice. All the other families have been with me longer and I feel this is the best option.

I know it will majorly anger them. As I am a very reasonably priced full service care facility. It will come as a shock because I seem to have it "together" but to be honest,.. I am having 3 babies, and know from past experience that its hard. Il be busy busy busy.... Ive done it in the past but the last ones are 5 now and Im OLDER, lol anyway,.. what do you think? how Im planning does it seem ok?
kitkat 10:55 AM 11-04-2010
I think that's completely acceptable. That's the same thought process I'd go through if I were in your shoes. As a parent, I'd be upset that I have to find someone new, but I would also respect you for knowing your limits and what you are comfortable handling. Is the family going to be angry because they only have 2 weeks or because they have to find someone new? Can you do this for one of my families for me? I have to do it, never have, and am dreading it
DCMomOf3 10:59 AM 11-04-2010
Can I ask why you are terming them and not one of the new babies that aren't even in your care yet?

Do what is right for your daycare, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are hurt and upset, not to metion they will probably think it is them or thier child even if you say it's you.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:03 AM 11-04-2010
now my querstion is,.. when??? should I wait until the new one comes? it will be end of 4 weeks or so from now that I get the new baby and I want him gone before that, so should I wait the 2 weeks? and term with 2 weeks left, or term now? and just tell them 4 weeks?
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:04 AM 11-04-2010
lol,.. querstion,..lol.... question,..lol
DCMom 11:18 AM 11-04-2010
Personally, I would give them 3 or 4 weeks (whatever you are comfortable with) and a list of other providers who may have a spot available. If they leave sooner, then they leave sooner.

You know what is best for you and your daycare; just remember that if the situation were reversed and they needed to make a change, they probably wouldn't give you a second thought, kwim?
kidkair 11:20 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by Quincy:
Can I ask why you are terming them and not one of the new babies that aren't even in your care yet?

Do what is right for your daycare, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are hurt and upset, not to metion they will probably think it is them or thier child even if you say it's you.
Same question: why not one of the babies?
Abigail 10:07 PM 11-04-2010
I'm not sure about giving them 3 or 4 weeks because your handbook probably states you will give a two week notice. You don't want to change the rules now last minute, even if it benefits the parents.

My question is how you are backing your reasoning up. You plan on saying you are downsizing. Do they know you're expecting babies? Do you have older siblings of the soon-to-be-enrolled babies who talk about mommy and daddy are having a baby, etc? I would be concerned that if you even give this family a reason that you are terminating and they find out that you didn't downsize, can they sue you for false information?

Maybe since you're really reasonable you can take the chance at raising your rates and they might not agree and choose to go elsewhere? If you raise your rates slightly, maybe another equally-fair family will choose to go elsewhere...then again you probably have to give a two-month notice for increase in fees too and that isn't the four weeks you have. In the end, go with your gut.
missnikki 06:36 AM 11-05-2010
If you have it in your contract that you can release the contract with 2 weeks notice, than you do not have to give a reason...but it never works like that, right? They always want to know why...so what I would do is:

"I realized that my maximum capacity is about to be exceeded with the addition of the infants from the other families. I need to consider the quality of care that I can offer, and I've decided that the only way I can do that is to drop someone. In terms of senority, the other families have been my clients for the longest. Thank you for your understanding."
katie 08:16 AM 11-05-2010
Do what is right for YOU. You know in your heart what it is. Give the 2 week notice and let it go. They will get over it! They will miss you and will have some feelings about it at first but in the end if you know it's the right think for the big picture do it.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:24 AM 11-05-2010
the babies are all sibs,.. of kids in care now, so if I term say r and baby sister, Im out double. or w and baby sister, or M and baby sister... 3 of my moms got pregnant this summer,..lol

Originally Posted by kidkair:
Same question: why not one of the babies?

laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:32 AM 11-05-2010
Im not sure if she knows about the new babies,.Ive not kept it from her. They are the problem faimly who remember kept writing me bad checks, kept trying to keep him home and pay me the vacation rate when they couldnt afford daycare. Well I figured they would start with the writing of bad checks again. they havent,.. ugh. lol. so I basicly have 4 weeks to decide, well I have 4 weeks until the first baby comes and that is not putting me over my numbers, just that I would like to be done with them. In 4 weeks baby r will be here and While I can keep him, I just do not want to. He is the perfect kid, I dont like dealing with mama drama. You know? I will probably just tell her that Im downsizing to provide more one on one care to the infants, and hope she understands. The next baby isnt due to come here until end of jan first of feb, then the third isnt due to come here until aprilish... ( I actually have a 4th mom preg but she is my monday girl and I wont have an opening for both her and her new baby so Im not even adding them to the mix. ) yes I know 4 moms preg.... I am drinking bottled water! lol

Originally Posted by Abigail:
I'm not sure about giving them 3 or 4 weeks because your handbook probably states you will give a two week notice. You don't want to change the rules now last minute, even if it benefits the parents.

My question is how you are backing your reasoning up. You plan on saying you are downsizing. Do they know you're expecting babies? Do you have older siblings of the soon-to-be-enrolled babies who talk about mommy and daddy are having a baby, etc? I would be concerned that if you even give this family a reason that you are terminating and they find out that you didn't downsize, can they sue you for false information?

Maybe since you're really reasonable you can take the chance at raising your rates and they might not agree and choose to go elsewhere? If you raise your rates slightly, maybe another equally-fair family will choose to go elsewhere...then again you probably have to give a two-month notice for increase in fees too and that isn't the four weeks you have. In the end, go with your gut.

Tags:terminate
Reply Up