Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gut Feeling About a Potential DCF- Need Advice
spedmommy4 03:51 PM 01-28-2016
Here's the short version: I met with a super nice dcf several weeks back. They are interested in my program for a.m. preschool.

At the time they came, I had two assistants. (Morning and afternoon). They met my morning assistant but didn't talk to her. I let my afternoon assistant go shortly after my meeting with them.

This nice family has emailed me three times with follow up questions. All the questions they asked could have been answered by the parent handbook and contract forms I gave them at the interview. (But I did politely answer them)

And then, they dropped off forms yesterday (unannounced) without a registration check. I was closed because I attended a funeral yesterday and my husband answered.

The dcm chatted up my husband and somehow they got to talking about my assistant. Dcm said the name of the terminated employee and my DH corrected her. DH also mentioned that dcm was asking him how much time he spends with the preschoolers.

So of course today I get a call from dcd asking if they can meet my other assistant. I agreed but now I feel uncomfortable about the whole thing.

I don't want to ever give a parent the impression they have any say in who I hire and whether or not my husband gets to hang out here.

*If your advice is say hit the road- any advice on professional wording?
Crystal 04:17 PM 01-28-2016
If they seemed like a good fit prior, I would move forward. As a parent, I would ask about meeting the new assistant, as well as ask about whether hubby is involved in the care of the children. Seem like legitimate questions, as I too would want to know everyone involved in the care of my child. Not to say they can dictate anything, but if they feel uncomfortable with the new assistant after meeting her, or if they feel uncomfortable about hubby being around, then they can choose to find another program.
spedmommy4 05:15 PM 01-28-2016
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
If they seemed like a good fit prior, I would move forward. As a parent, I would ask about meeting the new assistant, as well as ask about whether hubby is involved in the care of the children. Seem like legitimate questions, as I too would want to know everyone involved in the care of my child. Not to say they can dictate anything, but if they feel uncomfortable with the new assistant after meeting her, or if they feel uncomfortable about hubby being around, then they can choose to find another program.
Oh, my assistant isn't new, she just wasn't there when I met them. The interview was full disclosure; I let them know I had a second assistant that comes in at 11 am. My assistants picture and educational profile is on my website.

I also have a sub so that I don't have to close for doctors appointments, etc. This family hasn't met her and I didn't mention it. The information is in my handbook but I don't think they read it.

They seemed like a good fit originally but I'm a little concerned that they are going to want to meet any potential hire in the future. I am home based but I operate like a center in a lot of ways. I run a preschool program, I have staff, subs, etc. I guess maybe I'm just forseeing problems . . .
Ariana 05:49 PM 01-28-2016
I think they are just doing their due diligence as parents and to be honest I find it a bit refreshing. I know for a fact I would be this parent! It is shocking how little parents ask me during interviews about who is going to be around their children or even where they sleep. They never ask to see my husbands police check. I find it ridiculous.

I think they are just going to be like this at the beginning. Once they get to know you and start feeling comfortable they will likely back off. I think it is really important that they are comfortable in your care. Having said that, this is your business so you need to do what is right for you.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:11 PM 01-28-2016
Follow your gut feeling.

I don't like when people drop by unannounced and especially with no money in hand As for the assistants, they need to trust ME. I would never compromise my job or my business by hiring inept or dangerous people, so they need to trust that I will handle my assistants and the care of their child. If it feels wrong, then go with your gut and say no.
spedmommy4 07:23 PM 01-28-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Follow your gut feeling.

I don't like when people drop by unannounced and especially with no money in hand As for the assistants, they need to trust ME. I would never compromise my job or my business by hiring inept or dangerous people, so they need to trust that I will handle my assistants and the care of their child. If it feels wrong, then go with your gut and say no.
Exactly my thoughts!! I do get annoyed that some parents spend five seconds with me and then leave me with their child. That said, this is my business and I screen every one of my employees thoroughly.

Even after I interview a candidate, background check them, and verify references I still don't leave them alone with the kids for at least six weeks. Leaving the kids with someone else puts my name and reputation on the line and I don't take that lightly.
Josiegirl 03:14 AM 01-29-2016
I'm with whoever said they wouldn't like the unannounced visit with no registration check in hand. That leads me to believe you're absolutely right when you mentioned they probably didn't read their handbook and contract. Those issues would bother me more than the questions they had. If they really didn't read their information what else will they ignore?
Do you have a 2 week trial? In this case, I think I'd go forward, remind them of the trial period and see what happens.
Laurel 03:31 AM 01-29-2016
I think it is natural to want to meet who will be caring for my child even though the owner trusts them. They don't really know you yet either so why would they just naturally trust you? No offense to you but we all start out as strangers.

Like someone else said, you have the 2 week trial so just make sure you tell them it will be a 2 week trial. I wouldn't like the unannounced visit either but they probably just read one of those parenting articles that says you're supposed to do that. Or once I just had this clueless but sweet dad who just didn't know how to do it. We ended up having a great working relationship but both me and my provider friend a few streets away who he went to see first jokingly read him the riot act later for doing that.

You can always invoke the trial period if things don't seem right.
Reply Up