Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time
Core12 06:47 PM 04-25-2018
Our typical nap time is from 1:30-3:30. If a child is not up by 3:30, do I need to wake him up? I like it when they wake up on their own and the staggered times of waking up helps when getting them ready for pick up. I have a parent who questions Everything I do. I know she will ask soon for my reasoning of letting a child sleep past 3:30. Please help me with my boundaries.
Thank-you.
ballen101 07:11 PM 04-25-2018
If it's her child and she's requesting her child wake up by 3:30, I would wake the child up. If it's not her child and the other child's parent has no complaint, I wouldn't worry about it. Some children need a little more sleep, some children take longer to fall asleep, some children are grumpy if you wake them... You're not doing anything wrong unless you are forcing the child to continue to nap when others are awake.
Pestle 04:59 AM 04-26-2018
Originally Posted by Core12:
I know she will ask soon for my reasoning of letting a child sleep past 3:30. Please help me with my boundaries.
Thank-you.
"Children need more sleep than most adults realize. I do not wake a child from their nap; they need to sleep until their body is rested enough to participate in the program."

If they go on the offensive, either just repeat yourself or start grilling them about bed times, room darkening curtains, screen time after supper, whether the parents are watching shows or making noise right after the kid goes down to sleep, etc.

If they're doing everything right, offer sympathy and say that some kids are challenging sleepers, but that you always work to ensure kids do get enough sleep for their healthy development.

And don't argue or negotiate.
storybookending 05:26 AM 04-26-2018
My nap time is from 12-2. Typically the first to wake up wakes up around 1:45PM. I try to have them lay on their beds quietly until 2 if they wake up sooner but if my almost 2 year old that is in the big kid room wakes first I will typically let him out as he WILL wake the others, but he is getting better.

If a child sleeps past 2PM I let them sleep. We eat snack at 3PM so I might turn off the music and open the doors to the bedrooms to help then get up a little earlier if they are still sleeping at 2:30PM. I always said I would never wake a child up unless their parent was standing in my kitchen but recently I started having to wake up my youngest (17 months). Just 2 or 3 times where he was still sleeping at 2:45PM and I wanted to get him changed and fed and outside now that we can finally get outdoors on a daily basis. He’s a kid that I know can handle being woken up though. You have to kind of use your judgement on it you’ll be dealing with a crankpants for the next 2 hours or if it’s a child that you are okay with waking.
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 04-26-2018
My rest time goes until 3:00.

At 3:00 I begin changing the little ones and putting their nap items away. Once I start doing that, it usually prompts the older ones to start waking. I send them to the bathroom one at a time as I "invite" them to get up off their mats and put their blankets away.

If some one is still sleeping after everyone is up and ready to move onto PM snack I usually just leave them be but most the time the commotion and voices of the others prepping for snack wakes them.

If we are going outside I will wake the sleeping child but if we are staying inside, I let them sleep until they naturally wake.

If they are sleeping beyond our normal daily routine it's because they need it or because somewhere along the way SOMEONE messed up their routine....(Psst...and that wouldn't be me since we have a daily routine we follow every day... )
Core12 07:05 AM 04-26-2018
Just the way you guys post your wording helps so much!!!
Ariana 08:28 AM 04-26-2018
My nap time is over at 3pm and with the noise and natural light from opening blinds, everyone wakes up. I personally would wake a child when nap is over as it can set up a domino effect at home and at daycare.
daycarediva 08:40 AM 04-26-2018
12:15/30-2:15/30

I do wake everyone as we eat, go outside and have pickups starting at 2:45 and there is no option to rest.
redmaple 09:40 AM 04-26-2018
Nap here is 12:15/12:30 until 2:30

Lights go on at 2:30 and potty time/diaper changes begin.

By that time, usually everyone is up. At 2:45 I gently wake anyone still sleeping. Snack is served, and then we head outside. My pick ups are between 3:15 and 4:20. When I had all departures between 5 and 5:30, then I let them sleep longer.
Tags:nap times
Reply Up