Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cancelling Holding a Spot - Help Please!
Baby Beluga 09:07 AM 08-10-2018
DCG 5 just graduated to K.

DCG sister is 7 months and parents want to hold a spot for her to begin when she is 12 months/developmentally ready.

I agreed to hold the spot at a rate of 50% per week until she is a minimum of 12 months and developmentally ready.

DV ready to enroll here means: walking independently, eating independently with fingers, drinking from a sip cup (no bottles) able to fall asleep on a cot/in a pack and play, be on one nap a day and able to fall asleep unassisted (no rocking, etc). Mom thinks DCG will meet all goals by 12 months except 1 nap per day and is worried about that one. I also found out girl is still held when sleeping and the whole family co-sleeps.

I am worried about holding the spot now. My current group (and my anticipated group when DCG is 12 months) is ALL boys and will be ages 3 - 5. They're a rowdy bunch and I worry about the age and size difference with this child. She would basically have to be in some sort of play yard her entire day here because I worry about her being trampled.

Problem is, this family is a DREAM. An absolute dream and I could not ask for a better family. Mom is also very emotional and takes things personally. These are her words.

I would like to refund the holding fee paid thus far and enroll DCG when is 18 months (my minimum age for enrolling new families) although I would go a slightly younger for her.

What do I do? I don't want to burn bridges with this family. And I am absolutely on board with enrolling DCG when she is ready. But I have my doubts about her being ready at 12 months. And the size issue is a big one. Even my 16 month old has had to be separated before because these boys are HUGE.
MarinaVanessa 09:22 AM 08-10-2018
You definitely don't want to isolate the toddler in a play yard. She will need room to walk around and master her large motor skills. If you don't feel safe having her with 3 yo's then I would definitely refund them their money. For me, having a 12 mo with 3 yo's isn't so bad. I currently have a 7 mo non-crawler, 18mo, my own 2yo, two 3yo's, my own 5yo and my own 7 yo. The 3 yo's are definitely more rambunctious but they don't trample the babies. I just emphasize with the other kids that the babies need their own space and that they need to walk slowly/crawl when around/close to them so we don't bump into them. Floor time with the non-crawler (she's almost there) is a blanket on the floor that is a "non-bigger-kid" zone. The kiddos pretty much know not to go on it. The 18 mo is the only one I really need to keep a mindful eye on and redirect around/off the blanket. The other kids can learn to respect the babies, they'll just need reminding and consistency.
Baby Beluga 09:44 AM 08-10-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
You definitely don't want to isolate the toddler in a play yard. She will need room to walk around and master her large motor skills. If you don't feel safe having her with 3 yo's then I would definitely refund them their money. For me, having a 12 mo with 3 yo's isn't so bad. I currently have a 7 mo non-crawler, 18mo, my own 2yo, two 3yo's, my own 5yo and my own 7 yo. The 3 yo's are definitely more rambunctious but they don't trample the babies. I just emphasize with the other kids that the babies need their own space and that they need to walk slowly/crawl when around/close to them so we don't bump into them. Floor time with the non-crawler (she's almost there) is a blanket on the floor that is a "non-bigger-kid" zone. The kiddos pretty much know not to go on it. The 18 mo is the only one I really need to keep a mindful eye on and redirect around/off the blanket. The other kids can learn to respect the babies, they'll just need reminding and consistency.
Exactly. It's not fair to her.
Unregistered 12:18 PM 08-10-2018
I have a baby gate going down the middle of my daycare space. One side for big kids, one side for little kids. Would that be an option for you?
Baby Beluga 12:33 PM 08-10-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a baby gate going down the middle of my daycare space. One side for big kids, one side for little kids. Would that be an option for you?

It may be an option. I was actually just searching long fences. If I got rid of my kitchen/dramatic play area it would make the perfect blocked off area for the little one. I could possibly move the kitchen to the outside or just get rid of it temporarily. It isn't a center that is chosen often anyway.

FYI: for anyone reading, the play yard I am speaking of is not a pack and play. It is one of those 6 - 8 panel fences. I would never keep a child in a pack and play all day. With different terms in different regions and this being a public forum, I just wanted to put that out there.
MarinaVanessa 02:19 PM 08-10-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
FYI: for anyone reading, the play yard I am speaking of is not a pack and play. It is one of those 6 - 8 panel fences. I would never keep a child in a pack and play all day. With different terms in different regions and this being a public forum, I just wanted to put that out there.
This is what I thought you were talking about, don't worry
I think spitting a larger room in half (or in 1/3 if the baby isn't super mobile, and then increase the size over time) is a good solution. Gives the baby room to move around
Pandaluver21 02:26 PM 08-10-2018
When I had a mixed age group, we had a play yard (I think it may have been two actually, so 12 panels?) for the littles and the rest of the room for the big kids. Occasionally the littles would get to come into the "big kid area" but were usually content in the play yard. They were not in it for long periods of time because of things like snack, lunch, nap, etc.
Plus, during the littles first nap, I opened it and the big kids got very excited about baby toys lol.
Tags:holding a space, holding a spot, inadequate facilities
Reply Up