Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Write an Ad, Please?
Baby Beluga 09:15 AM 08-15-2018
I am interested in making the move to teacher-only clients.

What I would like to do is:

Charge a higher rate during the school year.

Be closed during all school breaks and summer break and not charge parents.

Re-open 1 week (or 2 pending school schedules) prior to the beginning of the school year so teachers can prep their classrooms.

Remain open 1 week (or 2 pending) after the end of the school year so teachers wrap up end of the year stuff.

I don't want to put my name out there because this would involve terming current clients who are on a year round schedule.

I know this will cut my income in half, but right now, I am okay with this.

How do I word all of this?
CalCare 09:55 AM 08-15-2018
Idk for ad wording just yet, sorry! But I always think how can there be enough demand? Because every teacher I know works all summer too. So you already have some clients that take summers off? That's pretty amazing for them to be able to. I wonder if you could advertise directly at the elementary schools, like ask in the office if you can post in the staff room? Then just say everything about hours and vacation time and play up not paying during summer..? You could put a lot of info in those staff room ads since your current clients won't see it there.
Baby Beluga 02:16 PM 08-15-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Idk for ad wording just yet, sorry! But I always think how can there be enough demand? Because every teacher I know works all summer too. So you already have some clients that take summers off? That's pretty amazing for them to be able to. I wonder if you could advertise directly at the elementary schools, like ask in the office if you can post in the staff room? Then just say everything about hours and vacation time and play up not paying during summer..? You could put a lot of info in those staff room ads since your current clients won't see it there.
I currently have 2 teacher clients who don't work breaks or summers and have had a couple of other inquiries for part timers who also don't work breaks or summer. So I think (hope!) there would be enough demand. I am not sure on how to word it though.
KiwiKids 02:47 PM 08-15-2018
I’ve been successful with teachers only BUT I don’t advertise. I’ve worked on referrals only by getting to know the teachers in the schools closest to me. One of my own childrens’ teachers will post on Facebook to her friends list that there’s a great teacher friendly daycare with openings. I am less than a 10 minute drive away from 1 high school, 2 middle schools and 5 elementary schools. Location has played into my ability to work with school employees only. I do offer PT care during the summer but that’s based on my availability. I’ve had 4 day weekends all summer this summer.

If you don’t have any contacts for the school I would use the suggestion of leaving a flyer at the front desk for the staff room with general info and that you don’t charge for school breaks. Be sure you are ready to address school closings for weather because that will be a question that comes up.

I have school age kids of my own and my husband works crazy hours ( mainly 3pm-1am ) so the move to working with teachers was great for me for work/life balance. Good luck with it all!
Baby Beluga 03:25 PM 08-15-2018
Originally Posted by KiwiKids:
I’ve been successful with teachers only BUT I don’t advertise. I’ve worked on referrals only by getting to know the teachers in the schools closest to me. One of my own childrens’ teachers will post on Facebook to her friends list that there’s a great teacher friendly daycare with openings. I am less than a 10 minute drive away from 1 high school, 2 middle schools and 5 elementary schools. Location has played into my ability to work with school employees only. I do offer PT care during the summer but that’s based on my availability. I’ve had 4 day weekends all summer this summer.

If you don’t have any contacts for the school I would use the suggestion of leaving a flyer at the front desk for the staff room with general info and that you don’t charge for school breaks. Be sure you are ready to address school closings for weather because that will be a question that comes up.

I have school age kids of my own and my husband works crazy hours ( mainly 3pm-1am ) so the move to working with teachers was great for me for work/life balance. Good luck with it all!
Thank you! Leaving a flyer at the front desk is a great idea.

I am in a small community with 1 HS and 6 other elem schools (pre-k - 8th grade) plus a few others that are nearby. We have a ton of schools

I too am wanting to do this for work/life balance. working 55+ hours (just with kids here!) is becoming too much.
Ariana 08:28 PM 08-15-2018
We have an FB page here specifically for teachers/ECEs/EAs looking for childcare. Do you have something like that?

I prefer teachers but seem to only get one a year. Hoping it changes once I go full time.
amberrose3dg 03:07 AM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
We have an FB page here specifically for teachers/ECEs/EAs looking for childcare. Do you have something like that?

I prefer teachers but seem to only get one a year. Hoping it changes once I go full time.
If you advertise that you work with their schedule you may attract teachers. I know they want to not pay for summers or school breaks.highlight that and hopefully you attract them. You can also not keep teachers children but still operate the same way. I'm sure it will be an issue for some but not all.
LittleExplorers 07:03 AM 08-20-2018
I advertise that I run on the school calendar and am open inservice days (days teachers are required to work, but there isn't school.) I would be careful with raising rates too much higher as they will figure out if it is cheaper to go with someone who offers plans for teachers at a lower full time rate.
Tags:advertisement
Reply Up