Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:19 AM
Day Care Owner

Default Firing - Terming Via Email, Appropriate or Not?

Another thread got me thinking, is it appropriate to fire or term via email?
I've heard of several different ways that providers term, some will hand over a letter, others sneak the letter into the diaper bag, while others will do it via text or email after the family leaves.

Now I have done it via text before for a no show family and I have handed over a letter on the spot.
But I wonder if email is appropriate, since you can't prove the received it. (I know some follow up with a text) Plus there is the spam email, not everyone checks it.
In the other post, poster got fired via email. The poster never mentioned getting a text to let her know about the email, what if she never received it?what if it had gone to spam? What if the email address was typed in incorrectly? What if She just didn't check her email during the weekend? Then come Monday morning, she was showing up for work and they wouldn't have expected her.
So is sending an email to term or fire appropriate? Is it professional?
Old 09-12-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
Is it professional?
That is a "loaded" question.

It's like quality. Every one views it differently.

I know some of the things I view as unprofessional are common practice for some and vice versa so I guess in my opinion, it depends. It depends on alot of varying factors.

Does this person regularly communicates via e-mail or not?
Is most the program info communicated via e-mail or in person or via newsletters etc?
Is the provider someone that goes to great lengths to avoid confrontation? Is the program very "family" oriented or more "school-like"?

I think the whole topic should be part of the employee handbook and/or company policies. HOW an employee gives notice of leaving or HOW an employer will terminate employment should be discussed and in written format would help alot. For both sides in my opinion.

I don't know..... I'm just responding as to how this applies to terminating a daycare family. I've never been in the position to fire someone as a boss or owner of anything other than daycare.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:33 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Etiquette is dead.

"Unless you are covered by an employment contract or state law that stipulates how you can be terminated, there are no restrictions on how an employer can fire you. Employers can fire employees over the phone, by paper letter or email, in person - or even by sending a text message." - https://www.thebalancecareers.com/wh...-email-4030579
Old 09-12-2018, 08:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

I think it really depends on the situation.

Overall in most cases I'd say terming needs to be done in person. But if it were a situation where terming was being done because of violence then I could see an email or phone call being okay.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I have done both and prefer email. Email gives the parent time to digest the information before they can respond and before they see you the next day or after the weekend. I always talk with the parents about it either way and it mostly ends amicably, but broach the subject by email first. Once I termed face to face and it did not go over well. I can imagine it feeling like a bit of a slap in the face.

I think in an employee/employer situation then it warrants a face to face.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:45 AM
Daycare.com Member

I think in person and email.

In person, because by law I have to hand you your final check when I fire you...and you should be able to retrieve your personal items. But Iím going to put my reasons in writing via email to cover my hiney as well.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Etiquette is dead.

"Unless you are covered by an employment contract or state law that stipulates how you can be terminated, there are no restrictions on how an employer can fire you. Employers can fire employees over the phone, by paper letter or email, in person - or even by sending a text message." - https://www.thebalancecareers.com/wh...-email-4030579
Sadly, but true! On the other side, the employee doesn't feel any more obligated to give "notice" when they quit, they just stop showing up for work....so by the same token, the employer fires someone the same way.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Daycare.com Member

I once quit over an e-mail because my supervisor was in another state. sorry, not driving 4 hours one way to quit a job.
all other times, I did it face-to-face.

Tags
notification letter, term letter help, termination letter, terming, terming in person