Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Enrolled Client Says I Have Too Many Days Off...
Unregistered 08:58 PM 10-03-2018
I have 10 days PTO (Personal day/vacation time), 10 paid holidays, and 3 days paid sick time.

Had an enrolled client comment about all my paid time off, claiming that they have been working with their company for 6 years and don't have any PTO (but only works part time/3 days?). And when I offered clients to pay an extra $8/week to not pay during my paid days, no one chose that so.... Seems like they just want to complain? ... Frustrated
BumbleBee 09:17 PM 10-03-2018
Your business, your rules. If they don't agree with it, they can go somewhere else.

As for where they work and their PTO, that's not your problem. They choose to work there and continue to do so. Again, if they don't like it they can go work somewhere else.
amberrose3dg 02:39 AM 10-04-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have 10 days PTO (Personal day/vacation time), 10 paid holidays, and 3 days paid sick time.

Had an enrolled client comment about all my paid time off, claiming that they have been working with their company for 6 years and don't have any PTO (but only works part time/3 days?). And when I offered clients to pay an extra $8/week to not pay during my paid days, no one chose that so.... Seems like they just want to complain? ... Frustrated
Honestly it sounds like to me they just want to complain.
I go over in great detail during the interview that spots are based on enrollment and not on attendance. Yet I have parents asking me if they get a credit when I am closed or their kid is sick. I recently had to close a couple of weeks ago for a day because someone brought fleas into my home. I had a mom pay me late that week and when I asked for payment she fought with me about paying for that day! She never spoke up until it was time to pay.
Do not let them make you feel bad about your time off. Heck I take all major federal holidays, 5 personal days, 3 sick days, 3 training days and 2 weeks vacation.
DaveA 03:30 AM 10-04-2018
It just sounds like they're griping to gripe. It's your business- they can follow your policies or find other care.
Josiegirl 04:04 AM 10-04-2018
Did they know this going in? Did they read the contract and policies and sign on anyways? If yes, then let it go in 1 ear and out the other. Don't even reply, just give the blank stare. The more you say and try to explain to them, the more they're try to manipulate and negotiate. Simply remind them they need to give a 2 week written notice, or whatever your policies state, if they're leaving.
Annalee 04:05 AM 10-04-2018
I got a notice MOnday for dcg2.5 whom has been here since birth citing she can't take off when I close anymore. She has not worked since June but a few days a week and turns toward home (she lives on same road as me) every morning at drop off since the notice. Parents just say whatever to get their point across...this is why I replied with "I understand, thanks for letting me know, have a good day"
amberrose3dg 04:09 AM 10-04-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I got a notice MOnday for dcg2.5 whom has been here since birth citing she can't take off when I close anymore. She has not worked since June but a few days a week and turns toward home (she lives on same road as me) every morning at drop off since the notice. Parents just say whatever to get their point across...this is why I replied with "I understand, thanks for letting me know, have a good day"

Trust me do not bend to what a parent says. No matter what they will always have something to say!
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 10-04-2018
Most clients think you take too many days off
Most clients think you charge too much
Most clients think you should be open later or earlier
Most clients think you should do x, y and z
Most clients think..........
Good thing ALL clients can choose a child care that works for them and pass on those that don't.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 10-04-2018

I would ask;

"Why would you continue to work for a company that doesn't meet your needs?"
mommyneedsadayoff 07:02 AM 10-04-2018
People love to complain. My response would have been, "oh man, that a bummer. I'm so glad I opened my own business, so I can set my own terms! Have a great day at work!"

I don't understand why she thinks she would get days off when she's only a part-time worker anyway. Pretty standard that you have to work full time to receive most benefits in almost every profession. Regardless, she's just being cranky and it has nothing to do with you, so enjoy your time off!
rosieteddy 07:25 AM 10-04-2018
As the years went by I always told parents about time off.When I retired I had 3 weeks paid with up to 5 personal -sick days.I explained to parents that though they may not have been with me I had 20 +yrs in the business .I work a 50 hr week and if this doesn't work out for you do not pick my program.I had a full house and waiting list.In your situation I would just say oh well.
Baby Beluga 08:02 AM 10-04-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Most clients think you take too many days off
Most clients think you charge too much
Most clients think you should be open later or earlier
Most clients think you should do x, y and z
Most clients think..........
Good thing ALL clients can choose a child care that works for them and pass on those that don't. ;)
This.

My first question when reading the post was why did the client sign on then? Surely she knew your PTO and vacation policies prior to enrolling her child.

ETA: I hate upsetting people. I really do. But I try to remember and tell myself that I will never make everyone happy. It is impossible. So I do the best I can for myself, my family and my clients. It is helpful to remember that when someone says something like what your client did.
Unregistered 08:07 AM 10-04-2018
All of this was in the contract that they signed and initialed by each thing. I put in 50 hours a week of ACTIVE work with the kids plus tons of time outside these hours preparing, cleaning, etc. So I am not changing anything, mostly frustrated that this would be mentioned cause I didn't surprise them with these details post-facto.
Unregistered 08:10 AM 10-04-2018
Just a month or so ago I had to close because the power went out for my whole neighborhood for more than 30 minutes. A different day that week my oldest had a fever of 103.4F and after I called the doctor, they said I needed to bring them in as soon as I was able. I got the latest appointment of the day and had to have clients pick up by 3:30 so we could get there on time in case someone was late. Actually had a client put in their notice after that.

These were things that were out of my control and I was kind of shocked that that happened because either of those could happen to any type of Provider but ...c'est la vie.
Meeko 08:18 AM 10-04-2018
"I understand that you're not happy with the contract you agreed to any more. Shall I put this as your two week notice?"

Then stand back and watch the backtracking, or they will leave and you can replace them with people who actually read what they sign.
Josiegirl 09:02 AM 10-04-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
"I understand that you're not happy with the contract you agreed to any more. Shall I put this as your two week notice?"

Then stand back and watch the backtracking, or they will leave and you can replace them with people who actually read what they sign.
And people who respect and appreciate you as a person and provider, not just a robot without a life.
Unregistered 09:19 AM 10-04-2018
What's ours is that I thought this parent DID respect me as a provider, with all the praise and compliments I get and etc. You can never know...
Unregistered 09:20 AM 10-04-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would ask;

"Why would you continue to work for a company that doesn't meet your needs?"
Likely because they only need to work part time or likes not working full time hours. My guess at least...
Ariana 10:36 AM 10-04-2018
What's ours is that I thought this parent DID respect me as a provider, with all the praise and compliments I get and etc. You can never know...
I guess as long as you are bending over backwards for them and have zero needs of your own, like a day off they are happy. True colors come out when you enforce your contract or take days off. This is why it is important not to get attached to compliments or negativity, just run your business. Every client has the potential to turn on you if they are not getting their own way
Unregistered 07:29 PM 10-04-2018
That's true. The client that screwed me over earlier this year left 2 glowing reviews from both parents then decided to withdraw cause I was going to charge a late payment fee of $15.
Tags:days off, paid holidays
Reply Up