Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>DCM Used My Shower, Make Coffee Etc
legomom922 04:45 PM 03-30-2011
I have a DCM whos bathroom was being repaired, so for about 3 days, I left my front door key out for her under my mat, and she came early in the am let herself in, and used my bathroom to take a shower etc. Other nights when she comes to pick up DCG, I make her coffee. So can deduct my coffee pot? and is there anything I claim for letting her use my shower? Stupid for asking but hey figured I'd throw it out there! I'm a full service business. LOL
Lilbutterflie 04:56 PM 03-30-2011
WOW! You are super generous!

I'm not sure if you can deduct these things, as they seem totally outside of the realm of services a daycare provider would provide. It seems like something someone would've offered out of friendship more than as a daycare provider. Maybe I'm wrong though!
cheerfuldom 04:58 PM 03-30-2011
It was just a few extra showers and a few cups of coffee. I think maybe deducting the coffee pot at this point is a little ridiculous. This didn't have anything to do with daycare services so much as a helping a friend out (who happens to be a daycare parent).
Unregistered 05:05 PM 03-30-2011
The coffee pot is essential staff equipment and any hospitality shown to clients is a promotional expense.

You are a great friend and I am sure your DCM is grateful.
TomCopeland 05:31 PM 03-30-2011
If this is the only time you made coffee for a day care parent I wouldn't deduct it (it's not "ordinary and necessary") but if you use the coffee pot throughout the year you could deduct the t/s% of it. You'll already get to deduct the t/s% of your water.

I would, however, count the extra hours the mother is in your home in your t/s% calculation.
legomom922 06:18 PM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
If this is the only time you made coffee for a day care parent I wouldn't deduct it (it's not "ordinary and necessary") but if you use the coffee pot throughout the year you could deduct the t/s% of it. You'll already get to deduct the t/s% of your water.

I would, however, count the extra hours the mother is in your home in your t/s% calculation.
Since she works 10 hrs days, she has coffee quite frequently when she picks up DCG. She needs the extra boost. Funny thing is, she didnt have coffee those mornings she was here, she brought her own!

What would I use as the reason for being in my home extra hrs? I have had her DD since she was 4 months, and she is 3 now, so I guess we are friends by now!

I guess a coffee pot is a hospitality item. My ortho has a keurig in the waiting room for all the moms who are waiting, and I'm sure they write that off.
Live and Learn 06:40 PM 03-30-2011
Your title cracks me up!
I have this image of my dc moms showing up in there jammies each morning, dropping off their kids, wandering into my kitchen for coffee, and then taking turns taking showers!!!
legomom922 06:45 PM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Your title cracks me up!
I have this image of my dc moms showing up in there jammies each morning, dropping off their kids, wandering into my kitchen for coffee, and then taking turns taking showers!!!
Ya I guess it is pretty funny now that I went back and read it!

I only have this one family, so I'm a little non professional I guess. LOL Funny thing is, those mornings she came she didn't drop off DCG. Those days her ex had her and she has a different DCP on those mornings!
Tags:deduction - coffee
Reply Up