Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-08-2010, 12:48 PM
sahdaycaremom's Avatar
sahdaycaremom sahdaycaremom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 24
Default Question

Hi, was wondering if I could get some advice from you all..I started a new family about 4 weeks ago. Two girls ages 2 & 3. I have these girls on tues and thurs..8:00-3:30..Mom has a 2nd job that isn't a set schedule..so I have them on MWF on the days she works at her 2nd job..I am having a few issues with this family. 1.) Mom never tells me her schedule for the MWF. I have to call and get it out of her..she tells me she will call and let me know but never does..one day last week I only had 2 dck's and my 2 kids, I was getting shoes on to take kids on a walk and door bells rings. Its dcm here to drop off her kids...we couldn't take a walk then because by myself walking its too many kids. I nicely said" I assumed they weren't comming today", and she said, oh I forgot to call you"..ggrrr so frustrating. 2.) Dcm thinks that whenever she needs to do something and doesn't want to take her kids that she can call me out of the blue and ask to drop off her kids for a little while..3.) These girls have never been in a daycare before and are lacking discipline. I have been working with them for a month and still the same as day 1. They hit, scream, don't listen to anything I tell them, mostly the 3 year old. The other dck's get really upset when they come here. So I am considering terminating this family. I have a drop in child who father called wanting me to take him full time. (he's an angel). Anyone with any advice would be much apprecitated. Please tell me I'm not being mean!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Hurt Betrayed Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW
Posts: 1,648
Default

You're NOT being mean! I would probably go ahead and take the full-time boy. At least he'd be steadier income and much easier to work with.

But if you do keep the girls, I would just say to the mom one day, "I'm really going to need you to give me their schedule in advance. I have to be able to plan food and activities." If she doesn't respect that after about a month, give her a two-week notice and just say it isn't working out for you.

I understand the guilt and reluctance to stand your ground. I'm kind of the same way. But lately I've been trying to be firmer. Nice, but firm on policies. It actually feels pretty good!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-2010, 01:14 PM
DCMomOf3's Avatar
DCMomOf3 DCMomOf3 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: my house
Posts: 1,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
You're NOT being mean! I would probably go ahead and take the full-time boy. At least he'd be steadier income and much easier to work with.

But if you do keep the girls, I would just say to the mom one day, "I'm really going to need you to give me their schedule in advance. I have to be able to plan food and activities." If she doesn't respect that after about a month, give her a two-week notice and just say it isn't working out for you.

I understand the guilt and reluctance to stand your ground. I'm kind of the same way. But lately I've been trying to be firmer. Nice, but firm on policies. It actually feels pretty good!
I agree. and state that you need her schedule in writing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Carole's Daycare's Avatar
Carole's Daycare Carole's Daycare is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 236
Default

I would make clear you need the schedule in advance in writing. Then, the next time she shows up unscheduled turn her away. Make up a reason- like - "you weren't scheduled today- so everyone else will be picked up so I can go for my annual pap smear. " Or- I only have enough corndogs for the kids that were scheduled- so there is no lunch for her- you need to come back after lunch. Or leave on that walk- without her, and say I'll be back in 15 mn and shut/lock door. Or you can be nice and take on the full-time little boy and give her polite notice- informing her that her habitual abuse of the schedule violates your policies and she is terminated as of such date.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM
missnikki's Avatar
missnikki missnikki is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,037
Default

Or you can just be gone when you think she'll come but hasn't warned you. Do not answer her calls. Let her sweat it out. That's the good old passive agressive method.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-08-2010, 06:06 PM
marniewon's Avatar
marniewon marniewon is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnikki View Post
Or you can just be gone when you think she'll come but hasn't warned you. Do not answer her calls. Let her sweat it out. That's the good old passive agressive method.
I've done that before. At one time I only had one family and they were either very early, very late or no-call/no-shows. One day they were over an hour late and we got a call that was somewhat an emergency and my husband and I had to go pick his kids up from school. This family had a habit of just not showing up, so I left. Apparently dad came to drop kids off about 15 minutes after we left. My son (age 11 at the time) told them they were so late we figured they weren't coming so we left. Dad actually swore at my son as he was leaving. As soon as I heard that I emailed mom and termed them, effective immediately. Her response? I should have waited for them to get there, no matter how late they were, and it was MY responsibility to call if they were late to see if they were coming!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-08-2010, 06:13 PM
missnikki's Avatar
missnikki missnikki is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marniewon View Post
I've done that before. At one time I only had one family and they were either very early, very late or no-call/no-shows. One day they were over an hour late and we got a call that was somewhat an emergency and my husband and I had to go pick his kids up from school. This family had a habit of just not showing up, so I left. Apparently dad came to drop kids off about 15 minutes after we left. My son (age 11 at the time) told them they were so late we figured they weren't coming so we left. Dad actually swore at my son as he was leaving. As soon as I heard that I emailed mom and termed them, effective immediately. Her response? I should have waited for them to get there, no matter how late they were, and it was MY responsibility to call if they were late to see if they were coming!!!
UGH. Not your fault. They will figure out that their poop stinks soon enough.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-08-2010, 08:46 PM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahdaycaremom View Post
Hi, was wondering if I could get some advice from you all..I started a new family about 4 weeks ago. Two girls ages 2 & 3. I have these girls on tues and thurs..8:00-3:30..Mom has a 2nd job that isn't a set schedule..so I have them on MWF on the days she works at her 2nd job..I am having a few issues with this family. 1.) Mom never tells me her schedule for the MWF. I have to call and get it out of her..she tells me she will call and let me know but never does..one day last week I only had 2 dck's and my 2 kids, I was getting shoes on to take kids on a walk and door bells rings. Its dcm here to drop off her kids...we couldn't take a walk then because by myself walking its too many kids. I nicely said" I assumed they weren't comming today", and she said, oh I forgot to call you"..ggrrr so frustrating. 2.) Dcm thinks that whenever she needs to do something and doesn't want to take her kids that she can call me out of the blue and ask to drop off her kids for a little while..3.) These girls have never been in a daycare before and are lacking discipline. I have been working with them for a month and still the same as day 1. They hit, scream, don't listen to anything I tell them, mostly the 3 year old. The other dck's get really upset when they come here. So I am considering terminating this family. I have a drop in child who father called wanting me to take him full time. (he's an angel). Anyone with any advice would be much apprecitated. Please tell me I'm not being mean!
Very frustrating!!! I would take on the full-time boy but do give notice to the mom.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

thanks for all your advice, I think I am going to terminate them. I am not good with these things, Any advice on how to go about terminating them. I have never terminated anyone before, Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-09-2010, 01:33 PM
missnikki's Avatar
missnikki missnikki is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,037
Default

Depending on if you have something already in your contract or not- if so, follow it. If not, give as much notice as you are comfortable with (2 weeks is customary) and tell them ASAP in person, DO NOT APOLOGIZE- just make it short and sweet, explain that you are going to open the spot to a family who needs regular care or a full- time family and drop in will no longer be an option, whatever you want to say to explain that their schedule does not jive with yours. Decide how payment will be handled- did they leave a deposit, do they pay ahead of time anyway, etc and make sure they pay the regular amount until the last day. Give your termination notice in writing also, make yourself a copy. Above all, stay strong and professional- don't wilt at the sob stories or complaints. They haven't treated you with respect or courtesy before, so move on. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 6,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
thanks for all your advice, I think I am going to terminate them. I am not good with these things, Any advice on how to go about terminating them. I have never terminated anyone before, Thanks
Some threads on termination: http://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?ta...ination+letter
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bad parent, terminate, termination letter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dumbest Question Of The Year.... Countrygal Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 09-01-2012 06:08 AM
Time Space Percentage Question? JJPlaycare Daycare and Taxes 18 08-28-2011 04:52 PM
New With a Question kiddosnme Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 07-21-2010 02:42 PM
A Question About Rates (imagine that!) Momof2Boys Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 05-04-2010 03:30 PM
preschool schedule question shulieb Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 06-29-2009 11:31 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming