Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So I Guess We At Daycare Don't Count
mac60 04:24 AM 03-07-2011
DCB turned 4 last week....at drop off, dad says "Mom said she is sorry she didn't send in treats, she will send in something tomorrow". Tomorrow comes, no treats. Friday......DCD says, mom didn't have time to make anything...will send in treats on Monday.........Monday is here, no treats, no mention of treats, but dad says.......mom will be here to pick up for preschool, dcb will have treats to take to preschool. Pissed me off. So I have your kids, 2 of them, 10 hours 5 days a week....not only did you say 2 times you were sending in treats and never did, but why tell me you are sending them in for preschool, like I care?

What is wrong with parents. They are so in to themselves it is disgusting. I don't know what I would do if this family ever followed thru to do what they "say" they are going to do. Every special day....Halloween, Valentine's Day, etc, there is always some lame excuse as to why they didn't blah blah. Valentine's Day, dcb was the only one who did not have something to pass out to the others, and he kept asking me why, to which I said "Your mom didn't send anything". It only takes 5 minutes to make out a few Valentines and $2 can buy a box of Little Debbies to hand out. Sad how some just can't find that time for thier kids.
BentleysBands 04:28 AM 03-07-2011
I agree but thankfully the kids have you! Probably the only stable and consistent thing.
My parents never bring things either.....so I try my beat to make it right for the kids
countrymom 05:20 AM 03-07-2011
I have parents like this, and then I have this awesome mom who always brings things in. The kids and I love it. I guess some people just don't care.
dEHmom 05:22 AM 03-07-2011
keep the treats and say "oh sorry I thought these were the treats you were sent for us"
dEHmom 05:23 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
I agree but thankfully the kids have you! Probably the only stable and consistent thing.
My parents never bring things either.....so I try my beat to make it right for the kids

Sad truth is, the parents know that most people won't let one kid sit out and so they just expect that if they don't do it, you will.
morgan24 05:26 AM 03-07-2011
I don't count on my parents to bring a treat for birthdays. I tell them I will do it, that way if I do have one that promises to do it and doesn't follow through them I don't have disappointed kids.
Autismworld 05:41 AM 03-07-2011
Birthday treats at my house are the responsiblity of the parents. If they don't bring a treat, we just don't have a treat for their childs birthday. I remind the children and the parents before a birthday that they can bring something... this way the kids bug parents and if they don't bring something it falls on the parents. Only once has a family came without a treat for their childs birthday.... the next day they brought left over cake LOL.
GretasLittleFriends 06:01 AM 03-07-2011
I make the treats for my dc kids birthdays and set up a mini-party here on their birthday. If not, they just get a gift from all of us at daycare. This way the parents aren't responsible for forgetting little Timmy's treats, and 9 times out of 10 what I make is mildly healthier than something the parents would buy anyway. I think it's just easier this way.

Our treats consist of things that we don't have often, like yogurt parfaits, smoothies, rice crispy treats, stuff like that. And it's usually stuff I can still count as a snack towards the food program.
jen 06:21 AM 03-07-2011
I make a cake or cupcakes for snack that day and then we sing happy birthday and they get a little present...it is waaayyy easier than counting on parents. Plus, I have parents that go all out crazy, which is great, unless your the kids whose parents "forget" all the time...
Cat Herder 06:24 AM 03-07-2011
The difference is that at Pre-school there are more adults to see them being the best parents in the room...

Sorry, if that comes off as jaded....it is just what I have seen over and over and over......

True story... At the B-day parties I throw parents were welcomed to bring gifts up to $10, no gift tags please, in case someone cannot participate no one will know the difference or be humiliated. It is all in fun, after all.

I keep a few extra wrapped toys that I fill in in case someone simply can't do it. I take lot's of photos for the daycare facebook page that the Grandparents live for and each child always gets 5 gifts regardless (6 kids in care).

Well, it never fails someone buys the big $35-$50 gift and puts a huge gift tag on it.

I started removing all gift tags and simply send them home as "group gifts" so there is no benefit to out do another, and nobody feels embarrassed....so they started writing it on the gift packaging, under the wrapping paper.

I then started opening all toys and sending them home in one big gift bag.....then they started "tagging" themselves on the gifts on the facebook page.... I kid you not!!!!

Parents are no longer allowed to send gifts, I will however be glad to pass out invitations to their children's birthday parties to the other parents... and I regretfully have plans that weekend.....
Lilbutterflie 06:26 AM 03-07-2011
I have two children with birthdays coming up. I plan to make cupcakes for snack that day and sing happy birthday. In addition, the birthday child gets to pick lunch (it has to be a lunch I typically serve).
jen 06:31 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
The difference is that at Pre-school there are more adults to see them being the best parents in the room...

Sorry, if that comes off as jaded....it is just what I have seen over and over and over......
I totally agree...sad, but true.
Unregistered 07:38 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
Really a parent doesn't bring a treat, and it must make them an unstable parent...WOW. Poor timmy I bet wont even get a birthday party at home, if his parents are horrible enough to flake on the daycare treat, I bet he won't get a cake or anything at home with his family where his birthday is the MOST important.
Live and Learn 07:42 AM 03-07-2011
)
I completely agree!

We don't do gift exchanges here at all. I give each child a small toy and book at Christmas and their birthday and then I call it good enough!

There are flaky parents in most groups and I prefer to avoid that drama.
mac60 08:06 AM 03-07-2011
We got the leftover from preschool. 7 treats. And why would I give them a thicky frosted cupcake before naptime. ugg.
Unregistered 08:31 AM 03-07-2011
In my small home daycare I do the treats myself, but a gift and make a birthday crown for the child to wear. Noone is left out Oh, and the treats are for afternoon snack so as not to hype them out before nap..........
nannyde 08:47 AM 03-07-2011

True story... At the B-day parties I throw parents were welcomed to bring gifts up to $10, no gift tags please, in case someone cannot participate no one will know the difference or be humiliated. It is all in fun, after all.

I keep a few extra wrapped toys that I fill in in case someone simply can't do it. I take lot's of photos for the daycare facebook page that the Grandparents live for and each child always gets 5 gifts regardless (6 kids in care).

Well, it never fails someone buys the big $35-$50 gift and puts a huge gift tag on it.

I started removing all gift tags and simply send them home as "group gifts" so there is no benefit to out do another, and nobody feels embarrassed....so they started writing it on the gift packaging, under the wrapping paper.

I then started opening all toys and sending them home in one big gift bag.....then they started "tagging" themselves on the gifts on the facebook page.... I kid you not!!!!

Parents are no longer allowed to send gifts, I will however be glad to pass out invitations to their children's birthday parties to the other parents... and I regretfully have plans that weekend.....

Wow I've never done gifts but now I know why.

We celebrate bdays monthly and have a really great meal and a desert I know the little one likes a lot. We don't do gifts but a celebration.

I say forget the expensive kiddy gifts and give a bonus to the Nan. I'll buy something great for the group... I promise.
Cat Herder 11:13 AM 03-07-2011
I hear you, Nan!!!

I started doing the birthday parties because so many parents in the past had been disappointed in the photos from the big parties they threw at the park, restaurants, etc...

The kids act out or cry because of the over stimulation or fear of strangers, huge cartoon mice/clowns etc. YKWIM??

So I do them here, with the kids they are with all the time and give the parents cute, happy "Classic" Birthday photos with the hats, blowing out the candle and opening presents... Just simple and priceless, IMHO....

It used to be something the parents were so appreciative of. Luckily with my current group, it is going better than the last few groups...

It just has seemed to changed so much over the last 10 years, it breaks my heart when I stop to think on it....
mac60 03:18 AM 03-08-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Really a parent doesn't bring a treat, and it must make them an unstable parent...WOW. Poor timmy I bet wont even get a birthday party at home, if his parents are horrible enough to flake on the daycare treat, I bet he won't get a cake or anything at home with his family where his birthday is the MOST important.
Serioudly, are snide comments like this necessary.
I can assure you that "Poor Timmy" was quite upset at Valentine's Day when all his friends here had Valentines and treats to hand out but him......and he kept asking where are mine to pass out? So yes, young children do notice these things.
Tags:bad parent, ungrateful
Reply Up