Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Does This Probation Letter Sound?
WImom 06:27 AM 11-12-2013
Should I add anything, take anything off?? I've had enough of this family but I am still trying to fill his spot so I'm holding out a little longer. I have been charging her all late fees for late payments/pick ups but apparently it doesn't matter. I should have knew on the first day when she showed up with NO paperwork and said she lost it. This after she was walking out the door and I asked for it. She was going to just leave him here!!

Date: 11/12/2013
Parent(s): ******
Child:*********

This letter is to inform you that as of 11/12/2013 your
contract with ******* is under Probation.

Prior to your child’s admission to *******, we entered into an agreement that you and your family would abide by all the policies and rules in the Parent Handbook. Since day one you have had trouble following the Handbook and Policies you agreed to.

The following are a few of the reasons you are on probation:

**Not having forms filled out at start of care or returning forms on time
**Lack of communication on days ***** will not be attending or will be late
**Late Pick ups and Late Payments

I will email you a copy of the handbook and fee policy sheet for you to look over again. If you need another copy it will be $5.00 since I have already printed it twice for you.

The probation is effective for 4 months. I will be terminating our contract immediately with anymore of the above policy issues. Communication is key to a successful child care experience for the child, provider and parent.

Thank you,
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by WImom:
Should I add anything, take anything off?? I've had enough of this family but I am still trying to fill his spot so I'm holding out a little longer. I have been charging her all late fees for late payments/pick ups but apparently it doesn't matter. I should have knew on the first day when she showed up with NO paperwork and said she lost it. This after she was walking out the door and I asked for it. She was going to just leave him here!!

Date: 11/12/2013
Parent(s): ******
Child:*********

This letter is to inform you that as of 11/12/2013 your
contract with ******* is under Probation.

Prior to your child’s admission to *******, we entered into an agreement that you and your family would abide by all the policies and rules in the Parent Handbook.

Probation has resulted due to the following:

**Not having forms filled out at start of care or returning forms on time
**Lack of communication on days ***** will not be attending or will be late
**Late Pick ups and Late Payments

I will email you a copy of the handbook and fee policy sheet for you to look over again. If you need another copy it will be $5.00.

The probation is effective for 4 months. Services will be terminated immediately should you violate one or more policies in the handbook during this time.

Communication is key to a successful child care experience for the child, provider and parent.

Thank you,
I altered your letter a bit.

I think that telling her that you already printed the handbook out twice isn't necessary.... I HIGHLY doubt she cares how many times you have to do it....she obviously feels that it's no big deal

I also changed the wording as to why she was/is on probation. Only because I think it is easier to use small to the point sentences when reprimanding parents...they rarely read anything anyways so you want to make sure you say what you have to say in as few words as possible.

Your letter sounded good but I kind of felt like you were "asking" nicely that they please follow policies...kwim?
Sugar Magnolia 06:58 AM 11-12-2013
"from day one" might sound more professional if it said something like "Since the time you enrolled, problems following the policies began almost immediately."
Otherwise, I like it.
daycare 07:31 AM 11-12-2013
I agree with BC letter.

I always try to be short, simple and too the point. NO more sweet a this point.

Do you mind me asking why you are giving them 4 months?
Heidi 08:20 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I agree with BC letter.

I always try to be short, simple and too the point. NO more sweet a this point.

Do you mind me asking why you are giving them 4 months?
I think the probationary period is 4 months, but if they violate one more policy, it's the door right away.

I would tend to leave the whole probationary thing out. I would say that these are the policies you've violated, and the next policy violation would result in immediate termination. Honestly, if they wait 4 months and 1 day to violate another one, would you say "oh, ok, lets start over".
daycare 08:30 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I think the probationary period is 4 months, but if they violate one more policy, it's the door right away.

I would tend to leave the whole probationary thing out. I would say that these are the policies you've violated, and the next policy violation would result in immediate termination. Honestly, if they wait 4 months and 1 day to violate another one, would you say "oh, ok, lets start over".
thats where I was getting at. I would not give them 4 months, I would tell them exactly what you said......The next policy violation will result in immediate termination.
WImom 12:42 PM 11-12-2013
Thanks for the help!!
WImom 12:33 PM 11-13-2013
Mom emailed me this morning and said this is the first time she read the handbook!

We shall see!!
spinnymarie 12:38 PM 11-13-2013
HA. Gotta love that. Hopefully it helps!
Blackcat31 12:43 PM 11-13-2013
Mom emailed me this morning and said this is the first time she read the handbook!

We shall see!!
Seriously? That's so disrespectful to you.

The VERY top of my contract says:

I have read and agree to the statements and policies outlined in ABC's Child Care handbook. I fully understand all rates, payments, late fees, and scheduling procedures._______.

I was given ample time to read the handbook and was provided contact info should I have any questions. I understand that by signing this contract I agree to abide by all rules and policies set forth in the handbook. _______.

Failure on my part to fully read the handbook does not give me valid excuse to disregard any policies and rules and that I can be terminated immediately for violation of any or all of ABC Child Care's policies. _______.

Parents are required to initial and date after each statement. You are welcome to use that paragraph if you'd like.
Shell 01:23 PM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have read and agree to the statements and policies outlined in ABC's Child Care handbook. I fully understand all rates, payments, late fees, and scheduling procedures._______.

I was given ample time to read the handbook and was provided contact info should I have any questions. I understand that by signing this contract I agree to abide by all rules and policies set forth in the handbook. _______.

Failure on my part to fully read the handbook does not give me valid excuse to disregard any policies and rules and that I can be terminated immediately for violation of any or all of ABC Child Care's policies. _______.

Parents are required to initial and date after each statement. You are welcome to use that paragraph if you'd like.
I just recently added places to initial after each policy, in additition to a signature on the contract stating phb has been read and agreed to. It really has helped with compliance of rules since they actually have read everything!
Blackcat31 01:44 PM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
I just recently added places to initial after each policy, in additition to a signature on the contract stating phb has been read and agreed to. It really has helped with compliance of rules since they actually have read everything!
...and if they haven't I can "show" them proof that they did.

A friend of mine years ago used to put a small sentence buried within her handbook stating that if the parent found this sentence, come tell her what page and where and it was good for a discount on their child care bill.

I thought it was brilliant until it caught on and everyone knew ahead of time it was in there and of course then, parents went looking for it.
WImom 11:45 AM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have statements like that but they just sign at the end that they read everything. I think I may change it to what you have. Thanks!
This is the same family that I've posted many times about their 26m old who mouths everything, breaks things, doesn't listen. He was gone for a week and now has been back for 2 days. My own kids and DH said they saw a change in me in the evenings when he wasn't here. They may not last the 4 months either way. I'm tired of being cranky at the end of the day between dealing with mom and/or DCB.
Blackcat31 11:56 AM 11-14-2013
I have statements like that but they just sign at the end that they read everything. I think I may change it to what you have. Thanks!
This is the same family that I've posted many times about their 26m old who mouths everything, breaks things, doesn't listen. He was gone for a week and now has been back for 2 days. My own kids and DH said they saw a change in me in the evenings when he wasn't here. They may not last the 4 months either way. I'm tired of being cranky at the end of the day between dealing with mom and/or DCB.
You know that is really an important statement.

Often times, we as providers are so used to multi-tasking, making due, getting through, putting up with things and simply just surviving day to day with a group of kids that we don't pause long enough to really and truly look with clear eyes about a situation.

Sometimes it takes a day or two without that particular stressor (in your case this DCK) to make us see the light and realize that we should have stopped it or changed it a while age.

Sometimes things progress so slowly when we deal with it day in and day out that you don't realize just how bad it is or has gotten.

I just did a trial run with a DCK who has been booted from 3 other care programs for being a screamer. I agreed (with myself) to only do a 2 week trial period.

Of course tomorrow is the last day and I found myself saying to my DH that I am considering extending the trial period for another week because the DCK's behavior hasn't really gotten any better.

Then something happened this morning that suddenly made it "click" in my head and ask myself...."C what are you doing?" So I decided to stick to my original promise and term if it wasn't working.

It isn't working. I will not be signing the family on permanently.

The VERY second I rendered myself to that I felt relief. A deep thorough sense of relief that only cements the fact that I already knew what I needed to do...I just kept fighting the urge to want to keep trying.

I feel a great sense of peace right now.

I KNOW I made the right decision. I feel bad but I KNOW I chose what is best for everyone.

Hang in there. Sometimes trying too long is worse than not trying at all.
Tags:letter samples, probation, probation - letter
Reply Up