Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I just Term today?
proudmommyofthree 02:04 PM 05-24-2018
A little back story. I have a school aged dcg that has been in my care for about 6 months. She is 7 years old and is one of the most spoiled dcks I have. She is a very picky eater, and whiny if things are not done her way. About a month ago I had notified my clients of school aged kids that I will not be doing transportation to the local elementary school, I will still be open for them in summer though. Anyway, last week this mom gave me her two week notice, last day would be May 31st (she was supposed to attend all summer) I got the notice after dcg went home upset because some of the kids did not want to play with her. (the other kids don't really care for her)

Anyway, yesterday I took the kids outside after school after they had snack. Dcg only wanted a cutie. I offered string cheese, quesidillas, applesauce and a cutie. She did not want to go outside and asked if she could stay inside. My reply was no because no one would be inside supervising her and all kids have to go outside. (It was perfect beautiful weather) She was not a happy camper, I asked if she wanted to sit next to me, or play in the patio. ( still in my view). She pouted and whined and said no, but played none the less.

This morning I received this text from mom:

"Hi, dcg was upset yesterday cause she said she didn't feel good and she asked to go inside and she was told "no". When dad picked her up she laid down saying her head hurt and she was hungry and once I fed her she said she felt much better. I know there is only a week left but I just felt I needed to address this. I hope she is offered a snack after school and if she wasn't to feel good she is not forced to stay outside." I was a little ticked honestly. Here was my reply

"Hi, she was offered a snack after school and ate snack. I offered applesauce, cutie, quesedilla, string cheese. She only wanted a cutie. I had all the kids outside, and she wanted to go inside, she didn't want to play outside. As per licensing I can not leave her inside the house without another adult supervision. It's a regulation I have to follow. I did ask her if she wanted to sit with me, to which she replied no. Not once did she tell me she was still hungry. I had 8 kids with me yesterday and she was the only that didn't want to go out. I have the patio next to the back door that I asked her if she wanted to play there and she replied no. She was upset because she wanted to come back in and I said not yet, we are all outside and there is no one inside to watch you. I hope you understand, and I would never ever deny kids, food or water or make them feel uncomfortable. I offer many different options to which she refused. I'd also like to add that I spoke with dad about her being a picky eater numerous times, and he said it was ok."

All I got back was, "ok thanks".

I want to term today. I feel there is obviously a trust issue and they obvious believe their snowflake child. Would you send a termination now? Wait out till next week? And should I call licensing? Sorry for the long post.
Cat Herder 02:21 PM 05-24-2018
"OK thanks" is my auto reply. I send it about 3 times per day to parents in response to their much longer texts. It is already in a box on my phone when I start to type because I use it so much. It is very convenient to simply push that little box.

It is usually because I am busy, my reading glasses are out of reach, my hands are wet, I am wrangling a toddler or the response only required validation of receipt. It is my shorthand for "Message received." "Thanks for keeping me updated." or "Thanks for answering my question, nothing further is needed."

It is possible that is the deal.

One more week of pay would be worth this little annoyance to me. I generally don't charge for their last week to minimize this, it is that common.
Blackcat31 02:33 PM 05-24-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
One more week of pay would be worth this little annoyance to me. I generally don't charge for their last week to minimize this, it is that common.
I agree with this.
I know the automatic response is wanting to terminate immediately but I think that would kind of be like giving them what they want...kwim? DCG didn't learn whiny, manipulative behavior all on her own.

Also, I would have a discussion about DCG NOT being sick and about her not being served snack right in front of her while her parent is present. Call her out for manipulating the situation like that.

In the end though, taking the professional road and just biting your tongue for the next week (barring any blatant bad behavior from either parent) and just deal with it until they are official done.
Mike 02:33 PM 05-24-2018
I would say hold on for one more week. If you're worried they may be trouble, early termination could just be enough to trip them.
proudmommyofthree 03:03 PM 05-24-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree with this.
I know the automatic response is wanting to terminate immediately but I think that would kind of be like giving them what they want...kwim? DCG didn't learn whiny, manipulative behavior all on her own.

Also, I would have a discussion about DCG NOT being sick and about her not being served snack right in front of her while her parent is present. Call her out for manipulating the situation like that.

In the end though, taking the professional road and just biting your tongue for the next week (barring any blatant bad behavior from either parent) and just deal with it until they are official done.
Thank you. I thought about mentioning at pick up today to her dad. I didn’t think about doing it in front of dcg .

I was just a little (more than a little lol) annoyed because this wasn’t the first text I’ve received from mom regarding dcg. Dcg never picks up, I’ve always dealt with dcd. So it just rubbed me the wrong way. Thank you though for your reply
proudmommyofthree 03:03 PM 05-24-2018
Originally Posted by Mike:
I would say hold on for one more week. If you're worried they may be trouble, early termination could just be enough to trip them.
True, thank you 😊
proudmommyofthree 03:06 PM 05-24-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"OK thanks" is my auto reply. I send it about 3 times per day to parents in response to their much longer texts. It is already in a box on my phone when I start to type because I use it so much. It is very convenient to simply push that little box.

It is usually because I am busy, my reading glasses are out of reach, my hands are wet, I am wrangling a toddler or the response only required validation of receipt. It is my shorthand for "Message received." "Thanks for keeping me updated." or "Thanks for answering my question, nothing further is needed."

It is possible that is the deal.

I had no idea about that feature on the phones. Thank you.
Tags:termination
Reply Up