Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Sibling Is Making The Older Sibling Drive Me Crazy! WWYD?
E Daycare 11:12 AM 11-02-2011
I had a very well behaved 3yr old dcb whos mom recently had a baby. I never had any issues with him before and he was my star child. When mom was on maternity leave she brought him once a week so he could continue to play with the kids and not get off the schedule too much. I planned some transition with him but Ive never dealt with a sibling situation before so it is catching me off guard.

The 1st day he came back I figured he was gonna be off and he was. Not listening, making a bigger mess then most, not helping with cleanup like usual and so on. Now that his mom is back to work (3rd week) and his baby sister is here with him hes still just as bad and its been 10 weeks. I should also state they are part time. 3 days a week tops.

What can I do to help him transition better? I give him one on one time, have him be lead helper and the like. Its not helping much that his mother has tried to start potty training right before she had the baby so we havent made any progress on that front and hes been having issues with that here too.

It wouldnt be such an issue but on the days they are here with the rest of the group (making it a total of 4 boys 3 and under and a 10 week old) my days are hideous. The kids feed off of his behavior and monkey see monkey do.

How have you guys helped with a new sibling? Im starting to dread the days they are all here.
GretasLittleFriends 07:16 AM 11-03-2011
I had one kind of like that, but he was already potty trained. He turned 3 beginning of March and baby brother was born end of March. Baby brother is now 7 months old. It was tough in the beginning. I talked to him a LOT about being a big brother and how much of a wonderful big brother he is. Overboard sometimes, but he went from being devilish to wonderful and proud of his little brother. We talked about the things that he could do that the baby couldn't. We focused on how nice and big and helpful and proud he is. I found a couple of new baby or big brother books at the library too.
E Daycare 08:25 AM 11-05-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I had one kind of like that, but he was already potty trained. He turned 3 beginning of March and baby brother was born end of March. Baby brother is now 7 months old. It was tough in the beginning. I talked to him a LOT about being a big brother and how much of a wonderful big brother he is. Overboard sometimes, but he went from being devilish to wonderful and proud of his little brother. We talked about the things that he could do that the baby couldn't. We focused on how nice and big and helpful and proud he is. I found a couple of new baby or big brother books at the library too.
Good ideas! I know his adjustment will take time but his mom threw in the potty training 3 weeks before his sister was born and its been 3 months and hes like "yeah right lady" along with being a stinker.
Tags:3 year old, sibling interaction, siblings, transitioning
Reply Up