Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default How To Handle Biting With A 12 Months Old

This DCG is a known biter, I've been caring for her since October, and Mom told me that she did bit her on a few occasions. Nothing happened at my house until a few days ago. She bit another little girl, and broke her skin, and 2 days later (this morning) she bit my son on the arm, leaving teeth marks.

Both events happened while I was making breakfast, and the children were playing with blocks.

I'm not sure how I should handle this one now; I have never had a young infant with this problem. I have terminated 2 pre-k kids before because they were a chronic biters, but I don't want be so drastic with this one (yet), since she is still very young (12 months).

But now, at the same time, I'm freaking out about her doing it again, and the past 2 days have been really stressful, trying to keep a constant watch on her, and where she is, with who, and what she is doing, while trying to keep up with my the daily schedule, and work with the other kids. This morning I tought it would be much easier is she wasn't here...

I'm thinking about telling Mom that if she does it one more time, she is going to have to be removed...

Ugh...
Old 12-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Maybe you could have her sit in a high chair and play with toys or eat cheerios while you cook instead of letting her play with her friends.

You could try a pack n Play, but those take up so much space, it's a pain in the neck.

What I usually end up doing is putting the little one in a Back carrier and carry them while I work. Then I call it "extra cardio" so it makes me feel more productive.

Hopefully this is a short stage. She may just need things she can bite for a while til she outgrows this.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I agree with doing something with her during the time when you're busy. Constant supervision until they grow out of it or learn language is really the only thing that will help. There are books "teeth are not for biting" you could get and read but at 12 months I'm not sure how much will sink in. I'd go double time on getting the kid to say or sign "help" when frustrated and remind her each and every time to say help when you see her getting frustrated.

Some people have also said that giving them a teether to bite works. So when she bites say "bite this, never bite people" and hand her a teether. We have a wooden one.

Tags
1 year old, biting