Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Your Child is Sick...
SunflowerMama 01:49 PM 05-24-2010
So my daughter (3) woke congested but no fever this morning. By noon her temp was 102. I gave her some meds and she went to sleep.

I emailed my dc parents just to make them aware of her fever and that I would try and seperate her from the group as much as I could.

Mid-nap I checked on her and she was still very hot even after the noon medication but I didn't check her temp and just let her sleep.

What is your typical procedure when your own children are ill? If she still has a high fever tonight we'll take her to Care Now to get her checked for strep (one of my dcbs had it last week ) but I don't know what to do to protect the dcks.

I was planning on just keeping them informed on what she may have and leave it up to them to make the choice whether to bring their children or not.

What does everyone else do??
My4SunshineGirlsNY 02:07 PM 05-24-2010
I have stayed open in the past and just let my kids rest...BUT last year when my youngest girl (she was 3 back then) had a high fever and was very sick and wanted to rest, I thought since I only had the school kids less than 2 hours after school, things would be fine. WRONG! I had 2 bad kids from the same family that started fighting and things got ugly and my little sick girl couldn't rest.

SOOOO the next time one of my 2 younger girls get sick, I am having my difficult ones get picked up or just call off. I can keep the other kids safe from my sick girls, but the ones that don't behave are not going to be here because when the kids are sick, they NEED their rest.
kitkat 02:17 PM 05-24-2010
For me, my family comes first. If one of my kids is sick with a fever, I call the parents and cancel. I follow the same sick policy for my family as I require of my parents. The kids are exposed before showing signs/symptoms, but I know I would feel guilty if my child needed me and I couldn't comfort them b/c I had to deal with a dck. They have to share me all day, so I can't justify having to share me when they are sick My kids are 5 and 1, but when they get older and won't need me as much when they're sick, then I might leave it up to the parents to come or find alternate care.

Hope your daughter is feeling better!
originalkat 03:02 PM 05-24-2010
I always leave it up to the parents...and they usually still want to bring their child. However my home is set up in such a way that I can separate my sick child easily from the others. So, I usually stay open when my kids are sick. Of course we dont usually get our curriculum stuff done...but I just make it work.
Tags:3 year old, sick provider children
Reply Up